Author Topic: Waterloo 2015 ~Units/Impressions~  (Read 69940 times)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
Re: Waterloo 2015 ~Units/Impressions~
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2015, 01:05:15 am »
Ye that would be nice but I think it won't work  :-\

Ligny anybody?

Ofc Ligny. But I know ya. I don't want to see you again. Filthy fake sharpes.

A guy out of California ive reenacted with is going out with the 21e. He is a fantastic very (VERY!) authentic reenacter in all the impressions that he does. I really dig the actuel campaign uniform unlike the swarms of Parade uniforms you see in every battle scenario.

Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler

[close]

Certainly doesn't look bad. Though if he wants to be really accurate, he should drop that weird greatcoat cover. Also, if he is wearing the greatcoat. What the heck is rolled up on his backpack? Blankets are supposed to be inside the backpack. (Although, I did see drawings of soldiers in greatcoat, with something (cant identify) rolled up on their backpack).

What really bothers me though, is how clean he is. Going campaign style means getting dirty. At least in my opinion.
That is a general thing in reenacting though. A lot of groups stay clean and look like they have just been issued new equipment.
I actually felt quite proud when people asked us why we are so dirty, compared to the other groups. It is just not right to look clean.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:17:14 am by אָבערגעסטאַפפעל פוהרער אָלאַפסאָן »

Offline Forest

• Second Lieutenant
  • God Bless America
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2015, 04:18:45 am »
Literally anything goes with blankets. The way soldiers carry blankets varies. It would depend on what they had at their disposal to tie up their blanket in most cases. Soldiers did, of course, have to live up to their regimental standards, but the campaign changes everything. Uniformity of their equipment could often go to shit for purposes of comfort and efficiency on the march. We can't have such concrete images of the way impressions are "supposed to look". Great coats were actually standardized in the French army by 1812 so I wouldn't exactly call that weird. Many soldiers even wore civilian great coats just to keep the elements at bay.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 08, 2015, 01:02:21 pm »
Greatcoat is fine, and should be worn most of the time. But on his backpack, he has a cover that is covering his greatcoat/blanket roll.
I do not think that there are any good references for these.

About the blankets on the back of the pack.. I am not sure. You aren't supposed to carry them there. However, there are drawings depicting people wearing something on their backpack, even though they are wearing their greatcoats.
Now, the question is.... Is that just the drawer trying to make the picture more interesting, or did they really carry the blanket (Or a 2nd greatcoat??) on the back?
I can not be sure about that, because the same guy has drawn pictures of soldiers with both something rolled up on their backpack, and with nothing rolled up.
Maybe different regiments had a different habit of carrying stuff, and some regiments did not obey the orders as much as others. I can not tell.

Another idea I had is that they could have put the "sleeping bag" that was issued to some troops on the backpack. It was officially allowed to be put on top of the pack. People generally did not do that though, because it was made out of linen and it soaks water and gets heavy in rain.

However, just not putting anything on your backpack is the safer and more accurate choice. It also makes your backpack look more alive, because if you stuff everything inside, instead of letting it hang outside, it all of the sudden looks like it should. A huge bulky bag made out of cowfur...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:06:16 pm by אָבערגעסטאַפפעל פוהרער אָלאַפסאָן »

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2015, 01:55:59 pm »
A lot of groups stay clean and look like they have just been issued new equipment.
I actually felt quite proud when people asked us why we are so dirty, compared to the other groups. It is just not right to look clean.

*Shamefully stops brushing his uniform as he reads this comment*

What can I say...I'm a clean person, I hate seeing my stuff look so dirty. I'm also one of the very few people in my unit that always properly clean his musket. I can't stand rust and filth, I just can't!
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Barnesy

• Donator
  • Heres to the bloody fighting 95th
    • View Profile
  • Nick: its_barnesy_bitches
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2015, 03:29:36 pm »
My stuff will be parade ground clean, but not for long! Up in front of The Queen this week so we're looking shiny! When I get to waterloo, I intend to rectify that very quickly!!!
I am able to go to waterloo now, thanks to the police finally getting me my licenses! Woop! Frenchies, I'm coming for you ;)
"[15th] Colonel Cenkris: A lazy officer who didn`t contribute anything to the success of his detatchment or the regiment disposed of after displaying incredible disloyalty and attitute problems towards fellow officers"
Aww thanks Cenkris for those kind words
Ex Leader of the 15th Rifle Detachment

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2015, 05:59:29 pm »
I will see you in La Haye?

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2015, 09:33:48 pm »
Just received more info about Waterloo. How the heck do they want to fit all those people in that small camping area?

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »
Just saw this too... And what about the car access. Sounds messy

Offline Barnesy

• Donator
  • Heres to the bloody fighting 95th
    • View Profile
  • Nick: its_barnesy_bitches
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2015, 10:28:55 am »
The whole thing seems a mess tbh! Everyone is registering at the same place, Hogoumont will be closed off for one afternoon when people are arriving because of a VIP visit. People are moaning about the mile march to the battlefield (Not an issue for me, its nothing compared to what they had to march 200 years ago)

Lets hope that after all the hype it actually lives up to expectations, and isn't just a PR stunt for the Belgians!
"[15th] Colonel Cenkris: A lazy officer who didn`t contribute anything to the success of his detatchment or the regiment disposed of after displaying incredible disloyalty and attitute problems towards fellow officers"
Aww thanks Cenkris for those kind words
Ex Leader of the 15th Rifle Detachment

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #234 on: June 09, 2015, 10:47:21 am »
Agreed.
It does seem like a bloody mess, seems like the organizers can't organize a pissup in a brewery! We're arriving on Thursday afternoon and we'd better get access to our campsite!

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #235 on: June 09, 2015, 11:46:05 am »
From what ive heard, the aussie detachment is drinking in brussels..oh and getting lost because apparently the signs are bad and everything opens too late...but the belgians help as soon as its revealed we are australian..they dont like ze english..but everyone loves us :D

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 09, 2015, 02:29:12 pm »
*Walloons hate the English. They're semi-Frenchmen after all.

Offline Cara

• Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #237 on: June 09, 2015, 02:44:26 pm »
but the belgians help as soon as its revealed we are australian..they dont like ze english..but everyone loves us :D

Sure everyone loves you  :P Best time of my life my student exchange in Melbourne and Newcastle !!

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »
Ahh, Im Sydney myself, often travel to New caste and love Melbourne..and yes..we are quite lovable ;) , Well..our wildlife might not be..but you know

Offline Cara

• Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #239 on: June 09, 2015, 03:27:17 pm »
Nice mate haha yeah I had some strange and scary time in your bush near Newcastle. Still a pioneer country !

And was back in 2009 in Melbourne during the fires  :-\