Author Topic: Most elite fighting forces of history From the beginning of time-19th Century  (Read 28942 times)

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
  • Side: Neutral
Cataphracts are NOT the ancestors of medieval heavy cavalry, they had no stirrups and holded their lances with two hands. But yes, definitly a special force.
I would still argue that they played a significant role in pioneering the shock tactics of armoured heavy cavalry and in introducing this style of warfare to Europe. Where this eastern influence combined with the feudal system would eventually lead to the knights of medieval Europe.

I mean, I'm sure the cataphracts would have used stirrups and couched lances had those innovations been available to them. ;)

Anyways, I think the English longbowmen could be classified as an elite force, due to their lengthy training, resulting skill, and remarkable battlefield success (particularly during the Hundred Years War).

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
  • Side: Confederacy

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
  • Side: Union
Cataphracts are NOT the ancestors of medieval heavy cavalry, they had no stirrups and holded their lances with two hands. But yes, definitly a special force.
I would still argue that they played a significant role in pioneering the shock tactics of armoured heavy cavalry and in introducing this style of warfare to Europe. Where this eastern influence combined with the feudal system would eventually lead to the knights of medieval Europe.

I mean, I'm sure the cataphracts would have used stirrups and couched lances had those innovations been available to them. ;)

Anyways, I think the English longbowmen could be classified as an elite force, due to their lengthy training, resulting skill, and remarkable battlefield success (particularly during the Hundred Years War).
But then we would have a time delay of around 600 years in central and north europe seeing heavy cavalry on battlefield (well in fact we havn't funds of cataphracts in central europe (france/germany/britain), I'm not sure but maybe some in hungarian/romanian castellums). Sure, the Byzantine Empire hold still the tradition of the cataphracts, but they never saw service above the balcans. The first using of heavy cavalry in central/northern europe is visually marked with 1066, the battle of Hastings (Bayeux Tapestry). But we have earlyer no visual or archeological fact of heavy (shock) cavalry in europe. So I don't see for the central european knighthood the same tradition as the one of the cataphracts.

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
Alright, that makes sense. :D Thanks for elaborating.

Offline Chosen1

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Chosen1
  • Side: Confederacy
In order

3. The Old Guard

2. The Spartans

1. Alexander with his Macedonian Army
9-11 Coaster.

Find out what it's like to spin, glide, skim and fly like a giant airplane when you experience "United Airlines Flight 175"® – the only flying roller coaster of its kind in the world. Riders are taunted by a head-first, face-down inverted crash into the twin towers… and that's just the beginning. Experience the full force and power of riding down the twin towers, all on one of the deadliest tracks in the world.

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko

The longbowmen are a fairly good choise, since their success stems mostly fom training not equipment or technology.

Also the british > dutch thing depends on the era. There was the whole glorious revolution business.

In the interest of fairness and while missing the point a bit; I think medieval European knights deserve some recognition as well. It's impossible to categorise them into a certain corps which makes them ineligable I suppose. But the fact is, they dominated warfare for centuries, they defined the socio-economic structure of society, and they were incredibly skilled at what they did. Sure , it's their equipment that ultimately makes them neigh unstoppable, but that doesn't change the fact that most of them were some incredibly skilled and dedicated people.

Offline Tiberius

• Sergeant
  • For the eagle!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stEPI_Rkt_Tiberius
The Knights Hospitaller comes to mind when thinking of elite knights.

Roman fanboy

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
The Old guard is a interesting choice. As far as I know, they did not rely on (much) equipment that was not available to the regular ranker, they won engagements  because of their skill, and because of their reputation.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
ok,, DUTCH MILITIA 1815!!!!

Well, the 5th militia did charge a Brigade of Frenchman and managed to push back three cavalry charges, without forming square. Just sayin'...

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
they were charging french troops,,that deosnt count :)

Offline Tiberius

• Sergeant
  • For the eagle!
    • View Profile
For the Napoleonic era I would say the KGL and the French horse grenadiers

Roman fanboy

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
they were charging french troops,,that deosnt count :)

Well, in that case, Wellington's army was one big band of sissies.

(Oh come on, that was just too easy!  ::))

The Old guard is a interesting choice. As far as I know, they did not rely on (much) equipment that was not available to the regular ranker, they won engagements  because of their skill, and because of their reputation.

I agree and disagree a bit - While the guard was indeed made up of Veterans and men of valor, without anything more then a bigger hat (Not even kidding), the amount of times they were used is not that much. At the other hand, WHEN they were used, they pulled out a victory over and over again.

Offline Craig

• Captain
  • Help help I'm being reported!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Craig
  • Side: Union

I agree and disagree a bit - While the guard was indeed made up of Veterans and men of valor, without anything more then a bigger hat (Not even kidding), the amount of times they were used is not that much. At the other hand, WHEN they were used, they pulled out a victory over and over again.
[/quote]

Why commit your finest units every time? The old Guard weren't for fighting little wimps (aka everyone that wasn't a member of the old guard, they were for FUCKING SHIT UP LIKE A BUNCH OF WELL DRESSED SAVAGES!
WILLIEM WALLACE KILLED FEFTY MEN

~~ No one gives a fuck about what you admin~~

Offline Tiberius

• Sergeant
  • For the eagle!
    • View Profile
The old guard where misused a bit, but in my opinion, a elite fighting force.

Roman fanboy

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
The old guard where misused a bit, but in my opinion, a elite fighting force.

Agreed!