Author Topic: The Star Wars Thread  (Read 107935 times)

Offline Ryner

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Star Wars Thread
« Reply #300 on: December 24, 2015, 09:19:55 am »

Maybe a spoiler
It's a rehash of the New Hope more or less... Kinda disappointed.
[close]

Movie question ACTUAL SPOILER
is it just me or is anyone finding it hard to believe for the New Order to have built the mega Death Star in ~30 years when it took the Empire ~5 years to only build half of the Death Star mk2.

Also wtf was the Republic doing? Why was their ENTIRE fleet at their ports when they knew they had the New Order running around (even w/o knowing they had their death cannon, how weren't they perceived as a threat)? Why did the New Order target the Republic and not the Resistance with their death cannon first? Why do these guys always leave the  critical points on their death cannons so vulnerable? If their weapon drains their sun where did they get the energy for the first shot if their sun was still their the second time around? Why were the Stormtroopers so menacing in the opening scene but useless for the rest of the film, weren't they trained from birth?

I could go on but it would all lead to the same point. This movie made no god damn sense. Entertaining though.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 09:21:48 am by Ryner »

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #301 on: December 24, 2015, 09:24:20 am »

Maybe a spoiler
[close]

is it just me or is anyone finding it hard to believe for the New Order to have built the mega Death Star in ~30 years when it took the Empire ~5 years to only build half of the Death Star mk2.

Also wtf was the Republic doing? Why was their ENTIRE fleet at their ports when they knew they had the New Order running around (even w/o knowing they had their death cannon, how weren't they perceived as a threat)? Why did the New Order target the Republic and not the Resistance with their death cannon first? Why do these guys always leave the  critical points on their death cannons so vulnerable? If their weapon drains their sun where did they get the energy for the first shot if their sun was still their the second time around? Why were the Stormtroopers so menacing in the opening scene but useless for the rest of the film, weren't they trained from birth?

I could go on but it would all lead to the same point. This movie made no god damn sense. Entertaining though.
[close]
do you know what happend to StevenChilton?

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
« Reply #302 on: December 24, 2015, 09:33:42 am »
Maybe a spoiler:
Spoiler
ANOTHER FUCKING DEATH STAR!?!?!?
[close]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 24, 2015, 10:12:21 am »
Maybe a spoiler:
Spoiler
[close]
Banned

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 24, 2015, 12:19:30 pm »
Maybe a spoiler:
Spoiler
[close]
Banned
pls no kill

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
« Reply #305 on: December 24, 2015, 08:14:30 pm »

Maybe a spoiler
[close]

[close]
hopefully answers many of your questions
Umk, going to try and explain this the best i can. I already explained in a previous post that in a constantly advancing military society with vast numbers of cheap labor (slavery), the idea of star killer base is not far fetched. First off, they aren't using the entire planet. The deathstar, they were using every bit of it but star killer base was a planet that they drilled giant holes into and lined with some metal and stuff i guess. I would imagine that it would actually take roughly the same amount of time as a deathstar, maybe a bit longer. Plus if you think about it logistically, it's probably easier to build your base on a planet instead of in the middle of fucking space.

They knew that the first order existed but they were not aware of star killer base, the star wars universe is HUGE okay, they can't watch everything that has been happened. The republic signed a treaty with the first order, effectively saying that we control this half of the playground and you control that half. However the resistance is loosely attached to the republic but act outside of it. They fight the first order despite the treaty because....idk....evil or something. I'm just getting into the new canon so i'm not sure about everything.

By targeting the Republic, they were targeting the resistance. The resistance acts within the republic and they have no central planets of control. Plus they probably thought that the republic was a larger threat then the resistance (which turned out to be wrong)

The critical spot was not "vulnerable," the resistance just got lucky with han and chewy. The planet had a shield preventing ships slower than lightspeed, it had senor arrays, turbo-laser canons, and a fuck ton of tie fighters and stormtroopers.

"If their weapon drains their sun where did they get the energy for the first shot if their sun was still their the second time around?" A second sun or the sun could've been larger, i don't really know for this one to be honest but it's really not a big deal for me. I'm sure the answer is in one of the new books that they have.

"Why were the Stormtroopers so menacing in the opening scene but useless for the rest of the film, weren't they trained from birth?" Short Answer: Plot Device. Long Answer: The force does a lot of weird shit where it can protect certain people at certain times and also, stormtroopers were trained to not hit high value targets which is what happened in 4,5,6. There has been a long running joke about Stormtroopers accuracy however in much of those scenes, they actually missed on purpose.
[close]

Offline Ryner

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 25, 2015, 04:06:12 am »

Maybe a spoiler
[close]

[close]
hopefully answers many of your questions
Umk, going to try and explain this the best i can. I already explained in a previous post that in a constantly advancing military society with vast numbers of cheap labor (slavery), the idea of star killer base is not far fetched. First off, they aren't using the entire planet. The deathstar, they were using every bit of it but star killer base was a planet that they drilled giant holes into and lined with some metal and stuff i guess. I would imagine that it would actually take roughly the same amount of time as a deathstar, maybe a bit longer. Plus if you think about it logistically, it's probably easier to build your base on a planet instead of in the middle of fucking space.

They knew that the first order existed but they were not aware of star killer base, the star wars universe is HUGE okay, they can't watch everything that has been happened. The republic signed a treaty with the first order, effectively saying that we control this half of the playground and you control that half. However the resistance is loosely attached to the republic but act outside of it. They fight the first order despite the treaty because....idk....evil or something. I'm just getting into the new canon so i'm not sure about everything.

By targeting the Republic, they were targeting the resistance. The resistance acts within the republic and they have no central planets of control. Plus they probably thought that the republic was a larger threat then the resistance (which turned out to be wrong)

The critical spot was not "vulnerable," the resistance just got lucky with han and chewy. The planet had a shield preventing ships slower than lightspeed, it had senor arrays, turbo-laser canons, and a fuck ton of tie fighters and stormtroopers.

"If their weapon drains their sun where did they get the energy for the first shot if their sun was still their the second time around?" A second sun or the sun could've been larger, i don't really know for this one to be honest but it's really not a big deal for me. I'm sure the answer is in one of the new books that they have.

"Why were the Stormtroopers so menacing in the opening scene but useless for the rest of the film, weren't they trained from birth?" Short Answer: Plot Device. Long Answer: The force does a lot of weird shit where it can protect certain people at certain times and also, stormtroopers were trained to not hit high value targets which is what happened in 4,5,6. There has been a long running joke about Stormtroopers accuracy however in much of those scenes, they actually missed on purpose.
[close]
Spoiler
Aight, I'll give you the bit about the political situation in the universe. The movie did jack all  to explain that. Same with the part about the Death Cannon thing being the product of advanced tech. (obv.) and slavery but it still seems a bit stretched to me. However, I have to call bull about the Stormtroopers. They may have been trained to miss high value targets but they just seemed straight up useless. During the fight at the tavern (thing) what exactly were they doing? Just standing in groups and shooting at starfighters with straight up rifles (Which I actually did some research about and their blaster rifle has an effective range of about 900 yds. and can be set to stun, so why not set it to stun and hit your damned target?) , I mean there must be some thing better to do, like you know, take cover and stay down? And how did two trained pilots manage to get out witted by Ray(?) at the beginning of the film? Sure, they didn't want to kill them but they scarcely landed a shot in their attempt to disable the Falcon. And if the the ventilator (or whatever the hell it was) was so well protected then how did maybe 30 starfighters and a four man ground team manage to destroy it? Plus the point I was trying to make was why would they include a sole weakness in the first place? And if you really need to include something that could potentially destroy everything why not make a collection of smaller ones that can work independently of one another so if one of them gets destroyed, it can, wait for it, NOT BLOW THE UP. I just hate it when movies do something just to convenience the plot.

[close]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 04:08:30 am by Ryner »

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 25, 2015, 11:06:35 am »
Uhm, it's a movie? Random henchmen are always bad, lel.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 25, 2015, 04:41:07 pm »
Think about it like seeing A New Hope for the first time before the prequels. They didn't explain much then either. This is a completely new trilogy with its own background and focus on different parts of the galaxy. They're planning on making one new movie every year until 2020. I think you can expect some of your concerns to be addressed later down the line.

Offline Salcos

• First Lieutenant
  • Deus Vult, Romans 12:11, Κύριε Ελέησον
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Salcos
« Reply #309 on: December 25, 2015, 08:23:17 pm »
Think about it like seeing A New Hope for the first time before the prequels. They didn't explain much then either. This is a completely new trilogy with its own background and focus on different parts of the galaxy. They're planning on making one new movie every year until 2020. I think you can expect some of your concerns to be addressed later down the line.

People need to remember A New Hope had a ton of hate when it first came out and look were it is now
I hate it when people pass me a cup by holding on to the rim of it...

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #310 on: December 25, 2015, 09:10:10 pm »
Anyone that hates on this star wars is honestly retarded. Movie is fucking epic and overall just fucking enjoyable. Which is what counts in the end.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 25, 2015, 09:24:47 pm »
I agree honestly. Yall complainers look like a bunch of whining babbies. Seems like some of you aren't even star wars fans, shieet.

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 26, 2015, 12:30:03 pm »
Anyone that hates on this star wars is honestly retarded. Movie is fucking epic and overall just fucking enjoyable. Which is what counts in the end.

I like the prequels more, jar jar was the shit what a guy!

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 26, 2015, 02:03:26 pm »
What if I told you that people are free to express their opinions? :P

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #314 on: December 26, 2015, 10:03:03 pm »
What if I told you that people are free to express their opinions? :P