Author Topic: The Star Wars Thread  (Read 107877 times)

Lawbringer

Re: The Star Wars Thread
« Reply #255 on: December 18, 2015, 05:07:54 pm »
ffs it's a movie with lasers, stormtroopers, star destroyers, and hilarity. What more can u want :(

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #256 on: December 18, 2015, 05:24:34 pm »
Buzzfeed has done it again!

https://youtu.be/OmfP_6zeAcM?t=1m28s

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #257 on: December 18, 2015, 05:26:02 pm »
ffs it's a movie with lasers, stormtroopers, star destroyers, and hilarity. What more can u want :(
anime? Hentai? Yugioh?
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 18, 2015, 07:01:30 pm »
So the new movie will be almost the same like episodes IV – VI?

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #259 on: December 18, 2015, 07:22:59 pm »

Offline MR_Cheath

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1eMar_pA_Cheath
« Reply #260 on: December 18, 2015, 08:41:48 pm »
Yes from a certain point of view. The major difference, I guess, is that the plot which they copied form episode 4, and some of 5, doesn't make sense. As explained by Olafson.
As for the new characters Finn is useless and Rey is the most powerful person in the movie, just because she realized she is strong with the force.

For me the thing that fully ruined the movie was the editing and music. The movie basically has two parts when its not in "action mode"; Rey on Jakku, and the cantina scene. The rest of the movie NEVER had more than two minutes between each action scene. The shooting and loud music never stops, it goes from one battle to another battle and then to the next. Most of it is entirely pointless, and it results in that nothing is properly explained because 80% of the damn movie is just endless fighting.
They could have cut out most of the action and put in some story building, like for example explaining the new order, and idk. maybe the new deathstar.
Instead we are shown the deathstar just before it begins to wipe out the rebels (or resistance, who knows?), and right after that, the rebels plan the attack, and shortly afterwards destroy it. All we ever got to know about the Starkiller base is that it was larger than the other two deathstars and therefor could destroy more shit.
In the end though I see why they didn't bother to explain the plot to a greater detail. The first reason is that its all things we have seen in episode 4 and 5. The second reason is that they probably can't even explain it. The Starkiller base (the name is even taken from a star wars video game!) has no reason to be in the movie at all. Han Solo had no reason to leave the rebellion. Luke had no reason to leave the rebellion. All those things are what set off the events in the movie. My point being there is no reason for what happens in this movie to be happening.

Also the music is poor and unoriginal.

These are my opinions on The Force Awakens. But I have to not understand something, because most people loved it. By many it's apparently being regarded as one of the best Star Wars films, and i would like to know why?

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #261 on: December 18, 2015, 08:58:12 pm »
Yes from a certain point of view. The major difference, I guess, is that the plot which they copied form episode 4, and some of 5, doesn't make sense. As explained by Olafson.
As for the new characters Finn is useless and Rey is the most powerful person in the movie, just because she realized she is strong with the force.

For me the thing that fully ruined the movie was the editing and music. The movie basically has two parts when its not in "action mode"; Rey on Jakku, and the cantina scene. The rest of the movie NEVER had more than two minutes between each action scene. The shooting and loud music never stops, it goes from one battle to another battle and then to the next. Most of it is entirely pointless, and it results in that nothing is properly explained because 80% of the damn movie is just endless fighting.
They could have cut out most of the action and put in some story building, like for example explaining the new order, and idk. maybe the new deathstar.
Instead we are shown the deathstar just before it begins to wipe out the rebels (or resistance, who knows?), and right after that, the rebels plan the attack, and shortly afterwards destroy it. All we ever got to know about the Starkiller base is that it was larger than the other two deathstars and therefor could destroy more shit.
In the end though I see why they didn't bother to explain the plot to a greater detail. The first reason is that its all things we have seen in episode 4 and 5. The second reason is that they probably can't even explain it. The Starkiller base (the name is even taken from a star wars video game!) has no reason to be in the movie at all. Han Solo had no reason to leave the rebellion. Luke had no reason to leave the rebellion. All those things are what set off the events in the movie. My point being there is no reason for what happens in this movie to be happening.

Also the music is poor and unoriginal.

These are my opinions on The Force Awakens. But I have to not understand something, because most people loved it. By many it's apparently being regarded as one of the best Star Wars films, and i would like to know why?

Exactly my thoughts. Although I think the music was alright.
What you just explained might also be the reason why I actually liked the first few minutes of the movie. It takes its own time, it is not one useless combat scene after another (Although it has quite a few combat scenes...) and it actually develops some of the characters. But shortly after that period they completely forget about that and screw it up.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:00:17 pm by ††Olafson†† »

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 18, 2015, 10:02:00 pm »
The First Order didn't pop up out of nowhere they are remnants of the empire, lel.

Offline MR_Cheath

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1eMar_pA_Cheath
« Reply #263 on: December 18, 2015, 11:05:22 pm »
The First Order didn't pop up out of nowhere they are remnants of the empire, lel.
Well "Several decades after the Empire's defeat, the First Order emerged as the inheritors of the Imperial legacy, and the Resistance served as a check against the First Order's designs for the galaxy." -http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Resistance

There not the remnants of the Galactic Empire. According to all the sources I could find it's a military Junta that took over in the place of the empire "several decades" after its dissolution. And again, that brings up the question of how on earth they managed to construct the Starkiller Base. They even have their new star destroyers.

Another question is who Snoke is, and where he came from? He is strong with the dark side, that is all we know.
Someone had to train him and in that case who?
They keep talking about that they have to kill Luke to destroy the Jedi once and for all. That's because he's the last Jedi and therefor the only one who can teach others to become Jedi. Although forgive me, training is not needed in this movie as seen with Rey. She defeats Ben, who has been training for approximately 20 years to learn the force, both light and dark side. I get she is powerful, but srysly, she was told the force existed on the same day she defeated Ben!

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 18, 2015, 11:19:03 pm »
It also says they consist of military leaders who where part of the galactic empire.

Lawbringer

« Reply #265 on: December 18, 2015, 11:24:21 pm »
Well Ben did get shot and poked multiple times by a lightsaber

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #266 on: December 19, 2015, 12:03:23 am »
But the point is that Ben is incredibly powerful in the beginning of the movie and in the end he can't do fucking anything. He stops a blastershot in the air, coming from the side.
And then later, chewie can just shoot him?
And that other idiot, Fin is able to defeat him with the lightsabre? That guy has been training for like 20-30 years, why the fuck is he so bad at this.

And how can Rey/Ray/Bitch/Whatever be so proficient with the force? She actually didn't even believe that Jedi existed until she met Han. And then she gets captured and she knows that Jedis can play mindtricks with other people? HOW DID SHE KNOW THAT? AND WHY DID SHE NOT NEED ANY TRAINING?

It also says they consist of military leaders who where part of the galactic empire.

That still does not explain how they emerged so long after the Empire was defeated and how they managed to get the technology and resources needed to build such a huge base.
And given that the First order is so popular, I mean, apparently everyone knows about it, why does the Republic not send its own army to defeat it? Or knew about that base before it was finished in construction? I don't think that it is possible to keep such a huge thing in secret? The Republic could have easily defeated it before they even got that powerfull.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:05:34 am by ††Olafson†† »

Offline Earth Bby

• Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 19, 2015, 12:32:50 am »
But the point is that Ben is incredibly powerful in the beginning of the movie and in the end he can't do fucking anything. He stops a blastershot in the air, coming from the side.
And then later, chewie can just shoot him?
And that other idiot, Fin is able to defeat him with the lightsabre? That guy has been training for like 20-30 years, why the fuck is he so bad at this.

And how can Rey/Ray/Bitch/Whatever be so proficient with the force? She actually didn't even believe that Jedi existed until she met Han. And then she gets captured and she knows that Jedis can play mindtricks with other people? HOW DID SHE KNOW THAT? AND WHY DID SHE NOT NEED ANY TRAINING?

That still does not explain how they emerged so long after the Empire was defeated and how they managed to get the technology and resources needed to build such a huge base.
And given that the First order is so popular, I mean, apparently everyone knows about it, why does the Republic not send its own army to defeat it? Or knew about that base before it was finished in construction? I don't think that it is possible to keep such a huge thing in secret? The Republic could have easily defeated it before they even got that powerfull.

Ray can use the force because she closed her eyes when they turned the bass up and let the music take control.

Offline Earth Bby

• Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 19, 2015, 01:05:51 pm »

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #269 on: December 19, 2015, 04:19:53 pm »
Oh my

plot holes and inconsistency in a movie with physics defying super warriors and wise old swamp frogs.

This movie arguably had the best writing and character development of any Star Wars because for all his failings, JJ Abrams is a better writer and director than Lucas by miles. And while I won't defend why Ren becomes increasingly less refined over the film, one could argue its the trapping of a Sith Lord. To be overcome by emotion and hatred makes you do stupid things and leaves openings for your enemies to strike. It's like in Revenge of the Sith in the battle between Obi Wan and Anakin, Anakin was obviously better with the force and a saber but gave way to his emotions in the moment which Obi wan exploited. That's one theory.

And for why everything advances so fast with Rey, it's already a 2 hour movie, would you rather they pull a Phantom Menance and spend an entire movie trying to get Rey to understand the train with the force? Or would you rather they leave the next two movies open for an awesome Luke-Rey adventure plot which will most likely involve training and a master-padawan relationship?

TL;DR it's a good movie, if you like Star Wars, see it
Fuck off, Nazi scum