Author Topic: So I wrote this Essay For my English Class :/  (Read 8508 times)

Offline Ronan6793

• Donator
  • But at what cost?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Nick: Ronan
  • Side: Union
So I wrote this Essay For my English Class :/
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:47:07 pm »
its in the spoiler. We didn't have to have a certain subject we only had to make it an essay that would make people agrre with you. I was intending for people to agree that the Flag does't have a meaning but people refrain from displaying it.
Also many quotes have lost their Italics so good luck reading it  8)
Also I don't need any Critics because ill undoubtedly get that from my teacher :/
Spoiler
Should the Confederate Flag Be Seen As Racist or Southern Pride?

The subject of this essay is to decide whether or not the Confederate flag should be seen as a Racist Symbol throughout the world or if it should be seen as southern Pride in America. I chose to do this topic as I am interested in the era of Muskets and Cannons. The American civil war is around this era and got me thinking about this subject.  The first paragraph is going to talk about the stereotypical views that society places with the Confederate Flag and its Origin and History.  I will then talk about a Southern American man’s views on the subject and what he says about the Flag. I will then talk about a Northerner’s view and compare on how both contrast with each other and any similarities they have. Finally I will talk about other symbols that have the same problem of what they are associated with and talk about my views on the matter.
The Confederate flag was introduced in March 4, 1861, to May 1, 1863 and was based on Austria’s national flag. It was designed by Prussian artist Nicola Marschall in Marion, Alabama. The stereotypical view is Opponents of the Confederate flag see it as a symbol of racism (especially directed toward African Americans), both for the history of racial slavery in the United States, and the establishment of Jim Crow laws by Southern states following the end of Reconstruction in late 1870s, enforcing racial segregation within state borders for nearly a century until the Civil Rights Movement. Supporters of the flag view it as a symbol of heritage and the freedom of cultural tradition of the South from the oppression of Northern government; it could also be seen as a symbol of freedom of speech.  Evidence that people’s opinion on the matter is split today is a Poll posted at 04:43pm on the 23 January 2010 with the Poll question The Confederate Flag is a Symbol Of? Either: Racism, Slavery and Segregation or Southern Culture, History and Freedom was a Split vote with 49.62% voting that it was a Symbol of  Racism, Slavery and Segregation  and 50.38% voting that it is a symbol of  Southern Culture, History and Freedom in total of two hundred and Sixty people voting. This evidence shows that it is still equal with both symbolic meanings of the Flag on whether it is seen as Southern Pride or Racism.

In this paragraph I will tell you about how southerners are ashamed about their history but don’t see the Flag as a symbol of Racism. Evidence of this is Southern born man called Nick Shell, who is a native of Fort Payne, AL.  He graduated from Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA in 2005 with a B.A. in English, he talks about how “The South has moved on and is ashamed of that part of our history.” He even admits “Are there still some racists in the South?  Sure, as there are unfortunately still racists in every other state in America.”  Nick goes on to talk about how southerners usually walk around in “Eggshells” so they won’t offend other races. This evidence shows that The South is ashamed about their history and that they actually admit that there is still racists in the south however they are all around America, it also shows that the south are very keen to not insult other people by keeping themselves to themselves. My opinion of this evidence is that the south understands why people get offended and realise that fact however they refrain to show their Flags in public so the Public wouldn’t get offended or annoyed at them.

Now that you have heard a Southerners view of the Topic I will now talk about a Northerners view on the subject. Jason Pressberg is a Northerner who was brought up to believe that “the North, the good guys, and the South, the bad guys. The Northerners were abolitionists, fighting from the good of their hearts to end slavery. The Southerners were the cruel masters of the slaves, fighting to keep their wicked slavery ideals.” After he left to the south he soon realised that southerners see the flag as the joys and values of being a southerner. He goes on to say that ”Many of these qualities, like common courtesy, are some of the things that are so refreshing about the South compared to New York. It's not that people aren't nice in the North; they just don't care to be”. This is evidence that northerners are brought up to believe that the south are ‘Evil slave Masters’ however they are actually more pleasant to be around because of their qualities. However even after Jason met some friendly southerners and admitted his views on the matter is biased he still says “the flag will never be an acceptable symbol, neither to Northerners, civil rights activists, or African-Americans. Sure, the flag no longer means the enforcement of slavery to most of the Southerners that associate with it, but some things will never change to those on the outside who view it.” In my opinion this is evidence that even thought his views are from a biased upbringing its shows that the north and other country’s teach their children a biased view on the South before they even meet anyone from the south.

There are many symbols or names that are also in the situation where they are used for either the right or wrong meaning. An example of this comes from Nick Shell the southerner; he says “It’s interesting how even the word “Mexican” has a stigma to it now”.” Mexican” gets associated with “illegal immigrants, mainly from Mexico, who sneak into America to steal our jobs”.  And to be politically correct, as to not use that offensive term, they are often referred to as Hispanics”. This shows that even the name that is given to the people of Mexico has been given a different meaning due to people using it in the wrong way or using it as an Insult. This has the same problem the confederate Flag has, even though it’s originally seen as the Flag of the Confederacy it is now seen as a symbol of racism throughout the world just like the name Mexican is now being used to describe an ‘Illegal Immigrant ‘when it should be used to describe the people of Mexico. In my Opinion this shows that thing throughout history have had their meaning changed slowly because of other peoples Ideals.

Finally In my opinion the Confederate Flag of America has had its meaning and symbol ruined throughout History because of biased views that were given to the Confederacy after their lost in the civil war and that both Northerners and Southerners agree to an extent that the flags meaning is southern Pride. The online community have shown with a poll that it is a 50/50 decision on the matter and the views of Nick Shell and Jason Pressberg are that it has no meaning but out of respect the Flag isn’t shown in public as not to offend the public and other races.
To conclude is the Confederate flag simply a symbol of Southern pride or does it represent prejudice and hate? Well, many “white” Southerners recognize that to black people, the Confederate flag is often symbolizes a legacy of racism.  Even though to the overwhelming majority of Southerners, it totally doesn't mean that at all.  But, to make sure they’re not being offensive, they refrain to displaying their Southern flag.  Despite the fact that the Confederate flag literally makes up part of many of the state flags of the South.
[close]

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
Re: So I wrote this Essay For my English Class :/
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:30 am »
its in the spoiler. We didn't have to have a certain subject we only had to make it an essay that would make people agrre with you. I was intending for people to agree that the Flag does't have a meaning but people refrain from displaying it.
Also many quotes have lost their Italics so good luck reading it  8)
Also I don't need any Critics because ill undoubtedly get that from my teacher :/
Spoiler
Should the Confederate Flag Be Seen As Racist or Southern Pride?

The subject of this essay is to decide whether or not the Confederate flag should be seen as a Racist Symbol throughout the world or if it should be seen as southern Pride in America. I chose to do this topic as I am interested in the era of Muskets and Cannons. The American civil war is around this era and got me thinking about this subject.  The first paragraph is going to talk about the stereotypical views that society places with the Confederate Flag and its Origin and History.  I will then talk about a Southern American man’s views on the subject and what he says about the Flag. I will then talk about a Northerner’s view and compare on how both contrast with each other and any similarities they have. Finally I will talk about other symbols that have the same problem of what they are associated with and talk about my views on the matter.
The Confederate flag was introduced in March 4, 1861, to May 1, 1863 and was based on Austria’s national flag. It was designed by Prussian artist Nicola Marschall in Marion, Alabama. The stereotypical view is Opponents of the Confederate flag see it as a symbol of racism (especially directed toward African Americans), both for the history of racial slavery in the United States, and the establishment of Jim Crow laws by Southern states following the end of Reconstruction in late 1870s, enforcing racial segregation within state borders for nearly a century until the Civil Rights Movement. Supporters of the flag view it as a symbol of heritage and the freedom of cultural tradition of the South from the oppression of Northern government; it could also be seen as a symbol of freedom of speech.  Evidence that people’s opinion on the matter is split today is a Poll posted at 04:43pm on the 23 January 2010 with the Poll question The Confederate Flag is a Symbol Of? Either: Racism, Slavery and Segregation or Southern Culture, History and Freedom was a Split vote with 49.62% voting that it was a Symbol of  Racism, Slavery and Segregation  and 50.38% voting that it is a symbol of  Southern Culture, History and Freedom in total of two hundred and Sixty people voting. This evidence shows that it is still equal with both symbolic meanings of the Flag on whether it is seen as Southern Pride or Racism.

In this paragraph I will tell you about how southerners are ashamed about their history but don’t see the Flag as a symbol of Racism. Evidence of this is Southern born man called Nick Shell, who is a native of Fort Payne, AL.  He graduated from Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA in 2005 with a B.A. in English, he talks about how “The South has moved on and is ashamed of that part of our history.” He even admits “Are there still some racists in the South?  Sure, as there are unfortunately still racists in every other state in America.”  Nick goes on to talk about how southerners usually walk around in “Eggshells” so they won’t offend other races. This evidence shows that The South is ashamed about their history and that they actually admit that there is still racists in the south however they are all around America, it also shows that the south are very keen to not insult other people by keeping themselves to themselves. My opinion of this evidence is that the south understands why people get offended and realise that fact however they refrain to show their Flags in public so the Public wouldn’t get offended or annoyed at them.

Now that you have heard a Southerners view of the Topic I will now talk about a Northerners view on the subject. Jason Pressberg is a Northerner who was brought up to believe that “the North, the good guys, and the South, the bad guys. The Northerners were abolitionists, fighting from the good of their hearts to end slavery. The Southerners were the cruel masters of the slaves, fighting to keep their wicked slavery ideals.” After he left to the south he soon realised that southerners see the flag as the joys and values of being a southerner. He goes on to say that ”Many of these qualities, like common courtesy, are some of the things that are so refreshing about the South compared to New York. It's not that people aren't nice in the North; they just don't care to be”. This is evidence that northerners are brought up to believe that the south are ‘Evil slave Masters’ however they are actually more pleasant to be around because of their qualities. However even after Jason met some friendly southerners and admitted his views on the matter is biased he still says “the flag will never be an acceptable symbol, neither to Northerners, civil rights activists, or African-Americans. Sure, the flag no longer means the enforcement of slavery to most of the Southerners that associate with it, but some things will never change to those on the outside who view it.” In my opinion this is evidence that even thought his views are from a biased upbringing its shows that the north and other country’s teach their children a biased view on the South before they even meet anyone from the south.

There are many symbols or names that are also in the situation where they are used for either the right or wrong meaning. An example of this comes from Nick Shell the southerner; he says “It’s interesting how even the word “Mexican” has a stigma to it now”.” Mexican” gets associated with “illegal immigrants, mainly from Mexico, who sneak into America to steal our jobs”.  And to be politically correct, as to not use that offensive term, they are often referred to as Hispanics”. This shows that even the name that is given to the people of Mexico has been given a different meaning due to people using it in the wrong way or using it as an Insult. This has the same problem the confederate Flag has, even though it’s originally seen as the Flag of the Confederacy it is now seen as a symbol of racism throughout the world just like the name Mexican is now being used to describe an ‘Illegal Immigrant ‘when it should be used to describe the people of Mexico. In my Opinion this shows that thing throughout history have had their meaning changed slowly because of other peoples Ideals.

Finally In my opinion the Confederate Flag of America has had its meaning and symbol ruined throughout History because of biased views that were given to the Confederacy after their lost in the civil war and that both Northerners and Southerners agree to an extent that the flags meaning is southern Pride. The online community have shown with a poll that it is a 50/50 decision on the matter and the views of Nick Shell and Jason Pressberg are that it has no meaning but out of respect the Flag isn’t shown in public as not to offend the public and other races.
To conclude is the Confederate flag simply a symbol of Southern pride or does it represent prejudice and hate? Well, many “white” Southerners recognize that to black people, the Confederate flag is often symbolizes a legacy of racism.  Even though to the overwhelming majority of Southerners, it totally doesn't mean that at all.  But, to make sure they’re not being offensive, they refrain to displaying their Southern flag.  Despite the fact that the Confederate flag literally makes up part of many of the state flags of the South.
[close]

I think it was a good job  ;)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:33:21 am »
Did you have a minimum/maximum wordcount?

Offline Ronan6793

• Donator
  • But at what cost?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:45:10 am »
to my knowlege no

Offline Mad_man1

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:03:20 pm »
Why do you capitalise 'racism' ?

Offline Ronan6793

• Donator
  • But at what cost?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:19:44 pm »
Why do you capitalise 'racism' ?
I honestly dont know?

Offline Mad_man1

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 02:22:50 pm »
You're English teacher isn't going to like that :o

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:32:37 pm »
to my knowlege no

It seems like you are trying to maximale by making unneccesary long sentectes.

Offline Ronan6793

• Donator
  • But at what cost?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 03:40:12 pm »
to my knowlege no

It seems like you are trying to maximale by making unneccesary long sentectes.
Eh in a way yeah but thats usualy how i write when writing essays

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 03:53:58 pm »
You should start your paper off with an "Attention Getter", either a statistic such as how many people in the US still idolize the confederate flag, just something that the reader will be intrigued by and interested in learning more.  Also try to stay away from, "in this paragraph I will.."; and develop some topic sentences which will be a general statement about what the paragraph will be about.  So for the first paragraph, something like; A large number of Southerners currently living in the states who are ashamed of their history do not see the flag to be symbolically connected to racism.  And for the paragraph after that, "Now that you have heard a Southerners view of the Topic I will now talk about a Northerners view on the subject. " - you should move this to the end of your first paragraph, as it is a transition sentence; and then start your second paragraph with a topic sentence.  And have another "attention grabbing" conclusion sentence at the end of the paper.  Other than that, some grammatical errors and unneeded capitalization; also suggest in doing more in-depth research with how many states showcase the confederate flags as their state flag (which ones).  And yea from personal experience, my cousins neighbor in Georgia has that confederate flag hanging outside his porch (but hes a redneck).

Hope I helped!

Offline Ronan6793

• Donator
  • But at what cost?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 04:37:51 pm »
You should start your paper off with an "Attention Getter", either a statistic such as how many people in the US still idolize the confederate flag, just something that the reader will be intrigued by and interested in learning more.  Also try to stay away from, "in this paragraph I will.."; and develop some topic sentences which will be a general statement about what the paragraph will be about.  So for the first paragraph, something like; A large number of Southerners currently living in the states who are ashamed of their history do not see the flag to be symbolically connected to racism.  And for the paragraph after that, "Now that you have heard a Southerners view of the Topic I will now talk about a Northerners view on the subject. " - you should move this to the end of your first paragraph, as it is a transition sentence; and then start your second paragraph with a topic sentence.  And have another "attention grabbing" conclusion sentence at the end of the paper.  Other than that, some grammatical errors and unneeded capitalization; also suggest in doing more in-depth research with how many states showcase the confederate flags as their state flag (which ones).  And yea from personal experience, my cousins neighbor in Georgia has that
confederate flag hanging outside his porch (but hes a redneck).

Hope I helped!
Yeah this the first draft of the essay just outtlining what It is about so once my teacher marks it I can get it back and add any extra info or remove anything i need to make it better. So its a good thing its a first draft

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 07:30:44 pm »
In many places in the South you'll find HUGE battle flags off of the interstate highways. Gives me a warm feeling. :D

Also, there were three Confederate flags.

First National (Replaced for looking too much like the Stars and Stripes on the battlefield)
Spoiler
[close]

Second National (Replaced for looking like a banner for surrender when there was no wind to catch it)
Spoiler
[close]

Third National
Spoiler
[close]

--

What you're referring to is the battle flag, used by many units as regimental standards. Much like the Japanese "Rising Sun" battle flag.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline 34th Artimus

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 07:37:57 pm »
You're English teacher isn't going to like that :o

Much like yours wouldn't like that :p

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 08:34:55 pm »
In many places in the South you'll find HUGE battle flags off of the interstate highways. Gives me a warm feeling. :D

Also, there were three Confederate flags.

First National (Replaced for looking too much like the Stars and Stripes on the battlefield)
Spoiler
[close]

Second National (Replaced for looking like a banner for surrender when there was no wind to catch it)
Spoiler
[close]

Third National
Spoiler
[close]

--

What you're referring to is the battle flag, used by many units as regimental standards. Much like the Japanese "Rising Sun" battle flag.
In my neighborhood in NYC, there was a street party, and one neighbor put up a confederate flag around where they were sitting. It was kind of disconcerting considering this was one of the most liberal areas of the country, and later a bunch of people went and asked them to take it down.

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 10:53:18 pm »
I live in one very liberal state (Connecticut) and definately consider myself a northerner. However, neither I nor anyone I know finds the Confederate flag offensive or racist. For us, it is mostly a symbol of southern history, and of the south in general.