Author Topic: European Team Rankings  (Read 9552 times)

Offline AccursedGull

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • If you are losing the battle, just win. ~Sun Tzu
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gull ; Broly
  • Side: Neutral
Re: European Team Rankings
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2020, 08:54:53 pm »
grouped gf #1 for sure

"Only when a mosquito lands on your balls will you learn to rather use precision than strength"

Elsse

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 09:08:02 pm »

Offline Kraz

• CIS Spanker
  • Colonel
  • cool guy
    • View Profile
  • Nick: wódka jest fajna
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2020, 09:36:50 pm »

Offline higened243ed

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 243 grouped co-captained
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 85e / 2eFusGre
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 12:41:00 am »

Offline Smylie

• Captain
  • Cool Kid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Smylie
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 12:43:24 am »
In all honesty, counting sword tournaments / PTK / non standard tournaments seems like a weird thing to do as atleast normal tournaments are down to teams actual skill.

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 12:59:32 am »
In all honesty, counting sword tournaments / PTK / non standard tournaments seems like a weird thing to do as atleast normal tournaments are down to teams actual skill.

others are not?
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 11:48:46 am »
Take it from someone who doesn't like these formats (or at least nowhere near traditional formats) and considered for a while they were not as competitive (wrongly so though), I understand what you mean. The reality however is that it's impossible not to take these into accounts while making a competitive team ranking. Out of the last four tournaments we had recently, half of them are non-traditional formats and these events were attended by just as many competitive teams as regular gf tournaments.

I will probably have as much of a struggle taking the upcoming 9v9 into account. I don't mind MP hosting it, it's definitely a fun format but due to its size and the on-going summer vacations, I already know about three teams in the rankings who won't attend it (or if they do, that will be as a merge). It seems equally unfair to not take this tournament into account for the teams who are going to attend it with a strong roster, that it is penalizing those who don't.

Obviously moving forward we might adapt the formula and re-consider the tournaments we take into account (or consider if they are all supposed to weight the same) but I believe we will probably lean towards establishing a 'competitive size' (from 5v5 to 7v7 for exemple) rather than give more relevance to the traditional tournament (only bayonets).
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Smylie

• Captain
  • Cool Kid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Smylie
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 11:57:42 am »
Personally I just feel as if ptk atleast is quite luck based and that ruins the worth of ranking those tournaments and tbh I think that the 9v9 separates the better teams from the lesser ones coz it shows roster depth and not just a strong 5v5 roster.

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 12:18:30 pm »
Smylie the gf leader supreme hath spoken

Wursti

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2020, 12:24:49 pm »
Smylie has a point but doing good in these others tournaments also shows versatility which should be rewarded for teams

even tho most just get invites for the sword

Offline Janne

• Lieutenant General
  • keep yourself safe
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2020, 12:36:17 pm »
Personally I just feel as if ptk atleast is quite luck based and that ruins the worth of ranking those tournaments and tbh I think that the 9v9 separates the better teams from the lesser ones coz it shows roster depth and not just a strong 5v5 roster.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Kraz

• CIS Spanker
  • Colonel
  • cool guy
    • View Profile
  • Nick: wódka jest fajna
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2020, 01:08:42 pm »
Spoiler
[close]
what? that’s pure strategy and skill smylie -1
every tournaments played 5v5 or more, with swords or without are competitive groupfighting things and should be considered imo
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:10:13 pm by Kraz »

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2020, 02:43:52 pm »
The sword definitely brings a random aspect which was seen in some teams adapting better than others but if you look at the playoffs of PTK, you had pretty much all the teams you would expect to see in a regular gf tournament and the team which has shown the better form as of late (Jedis) won the tournament. In that sense, I completely disagree it's 'quite' based on luck and therefore ruins the worth of ranking these tournaments. The placing most teams had was extremely coherent with their overall strength and form.

As for the 9v9, I don't see the points in showing the 'depth of a roster' in one and only occasion, while the 3-4 players most teams will add on their rosters won't be seen for the smaller formats, which are definitely more common and therefore determine a norme. Overall from my point of view, the lack of an unchanging competitive format has been hurting the NW scene more than anything else, unlike on Native where 8v8 has always been the go-to format, despite other size having been tried in multiple occasions. I know I am a minority on that one though and that's why I don't mind seeing 9v9/8v8 tournaments, neither do I mind many teams taking them seriously. It just makes it hard to take them into account in a ranking, especially at that time of the year.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:46:08 pm by Tardet »
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2020, 02:45:51 pm »
The sword definitely brings a random aspect which was seen in some teams adapting better than others but if you look at the playoffs of PTK, you had pretty much all the teams you would expect to see in a regular gf tournament and team which has shown the better form as of late (Jedis) won the tournament. In that sense, I completely disagree it's 'quite' based on luck and therefore ruins the worth of ranking these tournaments.

As for the 9v9, I don't see the points in showing the 'depth of a roster' in one and only occasion, while the 3-4 players most teams will add on their rosters won't be seen for the smaller formats, which are definitely more common and therefore determine a norme. Overall from my point of view, the lack of an unchanging competitive format has been hurting the NW scene more than anything else, unlike on Native where 8v8 has always been the go-to format, despite other size having been tried in multiple occasions. I know I am a minority on that one though and that's why I don't mind seeing 9v9/8v8 tournaments, neither do I mind many teams taking them seriously. It just makes it hard to take them into account in a ranking, especially at that time of the year.

We should be happy there are tournaments full stop tbf

Offline Tigere

• Major
  • Führer of best team de GF, Cazadores! RIP
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TigNig
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2020, 03:05:41 pm »
The sword definitely brings a random aspect which was seen in some teams adapting better than others but if you look at the playoffs of PTK, you had pretty much all the teams you would expect to see in a regular gf tournament and team which has shown the better form as of late (Jedis) won the tournament. In that sense, I completely disagree it's 'quite' based on luck and therefore ruins the worth of ranking these tournaments.

We should be happy there are tournaments full stop tbf
Since 70% of the community predicted the game wOulD DiE