Author Topic: Steam got hacked  (Read 3535 times)

AeroNinja

Steam got hacked
« on: August 29, 2016, 01:31:35 pm »
My steam account got hacked and they even changed my fuckin E mail adress

What do I do?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Steam got hacked
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 01:37:55 pm »
More a tech support question, but since nobody replies to that (except me and perhaps 1 other person).

Anyhow my friend had the same. He was, like you, stupid enough to have Steam and Mail as the same password. Unless your computer is infected then you're not stupid, then you're just unlucky and fucked in the butt.

I'd advise you to personally contact Steam Support per E-Mail. Make a new email account or use your secondary mail (if you have one. If not, make one).
If you need an account to contact steam support, make a new account on Steam.

Steam support is notoriously slow, so don't expect at least a reply to coem your way within a week. It is not possible to call steam directly by phone.
In any case, explain your case in the email in meticulate detail. Then, do whatever they tell you to do.

I will be honest here. There is a chance you will not get your account back. This is a more common issue than you think, but the chance of you getting your games back are slim. Be prepared to be extermely disappointed.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Rival

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:40:02 pm »
Spoiler
More a tech support question, but since nobody replies to that (except me and perhaps 1 other person).

Anyhow my friend had the same. He was, like you, stupid enough to have Steam and Mail as the same password. Unless your computer is infected then you're not stupid, then you're just unlucky and fucked in the butt.

I'd advise you to personally contact Steam Support per E-Mail. Make a new email account or use your secondary mail (if you have one. If not, make one).
If you need an account to contact steam support, make a new account on Steam.

Steam support is notoriously slow, so don't expect at least a reply to coem your way within a week. It is not possible to call steam directly by phone.
In any case, explain your case in the email in meticulate detail. Then, do whatever they tell you to do.

I will be honest here. There is a chance you will not get your account back. This is a more common issue than you think, but the chance of you getting your games back are slim. Be prepared to be extermely disappointed.
[close]

https://getlogdog.com/blogdog/steam-account-hacked/

What Riddlez said is straight to the point, next time try to get secondary verification if people try to fuck with your login details.
Working on headers in NW is like working on formula 1 2016 engines for 2017.

AeroNinja

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:42:40 pm »
This is why I hate these fuckin East Europeans.   >:(

Thanks for the help. I have contacted them.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 01:45:34 pm »
Also next time, link your phone.

I know I may be coming across as harsh or even as an asshole, but I am not a fan of dodging the problem. I am very sorry this had to happen to you, but there is little you can do. The link that Rival sent is useful.

Some more advise:

Your priority right now should not be on getting your Steam account back. Steam Support is way too slow for that to be even considerable.
What you should do is immediately perform a full virus scan of your computer. Besides that, check not only your purchase history with steam, but if you also use online banking, check THAT one ASAP.
As 99% of the world does too, you probably used that password in other services as well. Until you are sure your computer is virus free, use another to check all services where you used that password, too.

As soon as you're certain the damage is contained within Steam and that one email account (which I doubt, but you'd be in luck) THEN it is safest to contact support.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

AeroNinja

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 01:49:21 pm »
I'm running a scan now. I also don't know if I contacted them. I did a steam support thingy by  add your question but I don't know if it is sent.

Do you know how I can e-mail Steam support?

Also with online banking I'm using a very different email adress and password. So would that be safe?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:52:59 pm by NiPhix »

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 01:54:03 pm »
You are responsible for your own account, I doubt they will do something about it. Similar thing happened to my friend who got randomly hacked and had to create another account. He sent numerous emails to Steam. They were saying they are going to do something with it, but after 5 months nothing changed

AeroNinja

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 01:55:03 pm »
If I make a new account. How do I get all my games back?

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 01:55:48 pm »
You dont.Btw did you tell anyone your e-mail adress?

AeroNinja

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 01:56:27 pm »
So I have to re-buy everything?

Offline Rival

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 01:56:42 pm »

The only thing that comes into mind about that is Steam Sharing, where another account is authorised to play every game on the other person's account.

So I have to re-buy everything?

Thankfully no, I use two accounts for different things that have one connected to the other for any game I need from that specific account.
Working on headers in NW is like working on formula 1 2016 engines for 2017.

AeroNinja

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 02:02:49 pm »
How do I transfer my games then? Cause I have no connection with my old account anymore. They changed the e-mail and pass.

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 02:05:12 pm »
How do I transfer my games then? Cause I have no connection with my old account anymore. They changed the e-mail and pass.
Then the video I sent you is pretty useless, unless you know his email

AeroNinja

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 02:09:14 pm »
it's frustrating

If I could only have my hands on these ppl...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:10:56 pm by NiPhix »

AeroNinja

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 06:11:57 pm »
I can play offline games on Steam by just putting myself offline. I can go tab etc my username is still the same. But when I try to set myself online it doesn't work and I cannot go online without logging in.

I hope Steam Support fix's this hacker bullshit.