Author Topic: This mod isn't playable from the third person perspective.  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Momcilo

• Private
    • View Profile
This mod isn't playable from the third person perspective.
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:26:23 pm »
This is the same for native(range) and for NW, but in a mod where the guns shoot more often and are as accurate as this, the aim offset in third person perspective fucks the same perspective up.

What am I talking about?

Well, this isn't as noticeable when you shoot at targets at long distance, but try coming near a pole or a tree at a close to medium distance. Now go into first person mode and aim at a specific point. When you switch to third person perspective you will notice that the crosshair is now above the point at which you have aimed and not just by a bit.

So, the third person crosshair is higher and incorrectly positioned making you for example miss the head and shoot the opponents stomach even if you aligned your crosshair exactly at the correct position. In the end, the only way to play this mod is in first person and that kinda ruins it for people like me who like the third person perspective in this game.

My question is, can this be fixed? Or is it hard coded?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:30:46 pm by Momcilo »

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: This mod isn't playable from the third person perspective.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:43:05 pm »
Melee is pretty much in the backseat and you rarely need to go outside the 1st person perspective. The crosshairs however are a little rubbish and shooting with them in 3rd person is a nightmare.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:51:33 pm »
Before I used JDF's red dot mod, I used third person all the time, at least for medium to close range. Once you get used to the displacement and learn to adjust for it, it's pretty awesome to be able to aim at the the enemy without blinding yourself with the crosshair.

EDIT: Also it's great for looking over a trench without being headshot, and a large field of view is always good.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:53:44 pm by Killington »
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Rigadoon

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 08:59:27 pm »
The only time I use first-person is when shooting over a trench. Otherwise, I have never had a problem shooting in third-person.

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 09:28:57 pm »
It is off at close range, the 1st person view is the true aim, but even so at close range it's not off enough that you miss, a chest aim would be a stomach shot which is still a kill.

Offline Momcilo

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:33:45 pm »
Before I used JDF's red dot mod, I used third person all the time, at least for medium to close range. Once you get used to the displacement and learn to adjust for it, it's pretty awesome to be able to aim at the the enemy without blinding yourself with the crosshair.

EDIT: Also it's great for looking over a trench without being headshot, and a large field of view is always good.

Yep, third person perspective gives you those advantages, but it's not viable to use them since if you get into a fight unexpectedly you will be in a worse position then your opponent since your crosshair doesn't potray the true aim.

It is off at close range, the 1st person view is the true aim, but even so at close range it's not off enough that you miss, a chest aim would be a stomach shot which is still a kill.

Yep, but if you wanted to finish it with a headshot, you would be at a huge disadvantage.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:39:45 pm »

Yep, third person perspective gives you those advantages, but it's not viable to use them since if you get into a fight unexpectedly you will be in a worse position then your opponent since your crosshair doesn't potray the true aim.

Yep, but if you wanted to finish it with a headshot, you would be at a huge disadvantage.
After a bit of practice, you can easily pull off center of mass hits just as consistently as in first person, even better because you can actually see the target, and headshots really aren't necessary, chest shots kill them often enough to be worth it, especially when there's the other benefits that come with a large field of view.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

Offline MadManYo

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MadManYo
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:03:01 am »
To make it more realistic they should lock
You in first person

Offline Colbac

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 24th[LtCol]_Colbac
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 03:08:18 am »
I shoot better in third person actually.

Offline Nardu

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 09:41:58 am »
I noticed sometimes and depend the distance of the units, first person shooting will make you miss all the ennemies ( especially when they are very close) or whzn you are shooting from a windows or from a parapet and whatever if you are aiming good at them with the cross hair . I just switch view to the 3rd and all turn right then. Am i the only one to have this problem?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:44:07 am by Nardu »

Offline Momcilo

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 01:42:43 pm »

After a bit of practice, you can easily pull off center of mass hits just as consistently as in first person, even better because you can actually see the target, and headshots really aren't necessary, chest shots kill them often enough to be worth it, especially when there's the other benefits that come with a large field of view.

Let's for example match you with an opponent of equal skill, he's just gotta put the crosshair on your head and insta kill you, while you gotta adjust the crosshair offset and without a guaranteed headshot. The only way third person can be used now is to use it while walking, and while checking over cover.

I noticed sometimes and depend the distance of the units, first person shooting will make you miss all the ennemies ( especially when they are very close) or whzn you are shooting from a windows or from a parapet and whatever if you are aiming good at them with the cross hair . I just switch view to the 3rd and all turn right then. Am i the only one to have this problem?

I think you two are the only ones  :D

Here are two screenshot that show the aim offset:

When I aim at this spot
Spoiler
[close]

I'm actually aiming at this spot
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:04:30 pm »
Spoiler

Let's for example match you with an opponent of equal skill, he's just gotta put the crosshair on your head and insta kill you, while you gotta adjust the crosshair offset and without a guaranteed headshot. The only way third person can be used now is to use it while walking, and while checking over cover.

I think you two are the only ones  :D

Here are two screenshot that show the aim offset:

When I aim at this spot
Spoiler
[close]

I'm actually aiming at this spot
Spoiler
[close]
[close]
No one is doubting that the reticle is off in third person mode, but what we're saying is that you can learn to adjust for the difference and aim using the reticle just as a vague guide. This allows you to shoot consistently in third person view, which has a lot of benefits, the expanded field of view, no crosshairs in the way (admittedly not a big issue with a dot crosshair mod) and being able to peek around corners.

The benefit of looking around corners (or tops of trenches) should not be underestimated, because it means that you can spot them and see where they are relative to you and then un-crouch/move forward a bit without having to change views, which is comparable to having to un-scope after a shot with the sniper (needed nerf but still kind of annoying), having to re-sight the target in the first person mode after switching only takes a split second, but it counts.

Also, I can actually pull off headshots easily with third person, but I usually aim for the chest because it works just as well (unless I'm fighting a Wachposten, but they are special and don't count).

Offline Nardu

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 03:31:25 pm »
Edit