Author Topic: Let's discuss: Farbism!  (Read 27987 times)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Farbism!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 08:32:53 am »
And yet, you look totally fine to 99% of the rest of the world. Only people actually looking into reenacting will see that. The general impression is right anyway, so I do not see a problem here.
Not everyone has the money to get the top quality stuff, or the time.
I really can not blame anyone for not wanting to invest 20.000 Euro into something they just recently started, or did not even start yet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:35:01 am by Olafson »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 09:28:34 am »
Sorry all i hear is the usual excuse used by farbs.   

I, in no way was putting this kit to impress my unit or the community. You aren't putting on great impression so you can impress the reenacting community. You are putting on a great impression for EVERYONE. Historical accuracy is a great way to pay respect to the veterans and educate the people the proper way.  It's something hard to grasp for napoleonic reenactors because veterans are long dead just as ACW and there's no photo evidence. But thanks to tintypes, we're able to remind ourselves of our authenticity root in ACW.  in WW2, it's hard to be farby (unless you are straight up high school drop out moron) because veterans are still alive and nobody wanna look stupid front of them.

Also, if you cant spend money and time, then this hobby is in no way, for you.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 01:29:12 pm »
No, what I am saying is that there is a difference between looking completely wrong, and looking slightly wrong. I can't blame anyone for doing something wrong by mistake, or taking cheaper materials that still look the same, unless you look really close.

About the money. I said, someone who just recently started. What is wrong with getting a full kit that maybe has some slight inaccuracies or is the wrong material? At least you have something to start with. You can exchange that stuff for higher quality later.
Low quality stuff, or medium quality stuff is good enough for the start. You have something to show, you dont look off, and you represent the thing pretty well. You can slowly start exchanging stuff later.

And well, I had that standpoint before I even started ordering this ACW stuff...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:35:12 pm by Olafson »

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 03:39:48 pm »
Those Homer Simpson pants.

Stuff that I want to improve with my impression, though - Better tunic made with unfelted wool. Felted stuff isn't wrong, per se (they had felt hats) but it looks like crap compared to nicer wool. Wool hose, my current ones are made out of linen, which is passable but not correct, it also means I get a draught on my legs. I'd also like my hose to fit tighter and have feet so I'm not barefoot in my boots all the time. I need a nicer - and thinner - belt for my soft kit, which I'm probably gonna get from here http://www.philfraser.com/belts.htm

A hood would be cool, and make me look about 10x better on its own, then I just need nick-nacks to add to my kit, like rosary beads and a coinpurse, though I'd love to get a proper pilgrims bag as well.

Gawd, that's a long way to go. Guilty as farbed.

Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 04:53:02 pm »
Spoiler
No, what I am saying is that there is a difference between looking completely wrong, and looking slightly wrong. I can't blame anyone for doing something wrong by mistake, or taking cheaper materials that still look the same, unless you look really close.

About the money. I said, someone who just recently started. What is wrong with getting a full kit that maybe has some slight inaccuracies or is the wrong material? At least you have something to start with. You can exchange that stuff for higher quality later.
Low quality stuff, or medium quality stuff is good enough for the start. You have something to show, you dont look off, and you represent the thing pretty well. You can slowly start exchanging stuff later.

And well, I had that standpoint before I even started ordering this ACW stuff...
[close]

Agreed here, what I understood from here and elsewhere, is that the Re-enactment community seems to expect you are 100% from the beginning. I completely agree that if perhaps your stuff isn't custom and from modern material, but looks the same, that shouldn't be a problem at all. If it generally looks too modern, perhaps that would be an excuse to an under-taught beginner, or beginners in general, but I see it as something that should be upgraded.

Again, a complete kit from modern materials, which looks exactly the same, shouldn't be a problem. It's mostly more durable...?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

AeroNinja

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 04:53:37 pm »
Facism, farbism. Do they also have Fartism now?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 06:27:34 pm »
(Some) Re-enactors expect 100% authenticity from the start for the simple reason that people tend to get stuck in their 'temporarily' solutions.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 06:42:14 pm »
but if you know your buying bad shit but you know its bad then what the fuck are you doing reenacting. May as well just get for a fucking costume party .  Simple as that.
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 06:45:45 pm »
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, a reenactor who expect recruits to have 100% authentic kit on their first event is a moron.

You know the events will always be there, so why rush it? Be patient and get yourself quality kit. I had to get my own uniform and leathers for my first ww2 event, they provided me rifles and boots. But I missed one event because i didnt have my kit ready to "show up".  I have a authentic marine kit right now but they wont let me show unless I have several items and a working M1 Garand. 

Honestly why all new guys are rushing into this. Reenactment will always be there no matter what. Olaf, yeah there is a slightly wrong kit and completely wrong kit.  Let me tell you what your kit is. Completely wrong.

Your paki leather wont last a few month. It's gonna fall apart on you before any quality leathers can. Your pak uniform going to make you look like straight outta party city (cheesy costume store in america). You're going to look like bunch of idiots like that Douane group in napoleonic. You are the douane of ACW.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 08:31:41 pm »
I could buy a complete kit if I wanted to, i have to much money anyway, but I really do not feel like spending so much money on something that I am not doing that often. Napoleonic is osmething else, I am trying to get the best stuff only there. But for ACW... No, not atm. I said it before, if I am going to the US, I will probably order a full kit at Lederarsenal first, but for now this is good enough. For depot gear anyway. Everything I will buy later will just be replacing my current gear and my current gear will be available for the depot.

In other news, I am already replacing the kit slowly. I bought a new, proper, Cap box. Found it for cheap on EGUN.de
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:37:31 pm by Olafson »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 11:00:42 pm »
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, a reenactor who expect recruits to have 100% authentic kit on their first event is a moron.

You know the events will always be there, so why rush it? Be patient and get yourself quality kit. I had to get my own uniform and leathers for my first ww2 event, they provided me rifles and boots. But I missed one event because i didnt have my kit ready to "show up".  I have a authentic marine kit right now but they wont let me show unless I have several items and a working M1 Garand. 

Honestly why all new guys are rushing into this. Reenactment will always be there no matter what. Olaf, yeah there is a slightly wrong kit and completely wrong kit.  Let me tell you what your kit is. Completely wrong.

Your paki leather wont last a few month. It's gonna fall apart on you before any quality leathers can. Your pak uniform going to make you look like straight outta party city (cheesy costume store in america). You're going to look like bunch of idiots like that Douane group in napoleonic. You are the douane of ACW.

So what you're sayng is that the quality stuff really is the stuff which is authentic?
Then I would withdraw everything I said before.

And I agree you, one should build it, but I thought having a close resemblance to start with wouldn't hurt.

But y'all gotta agree it is kinda elitetist to expect such standards  that quickly
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
  • Baah! Baah baah, baah? Baah baah!
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
  • Nick: Mr. James Koach
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 11:19:56 pm »
Allow me to show you what I have to deal with in this crappy 3rd world I live in. Note there is no better quality than this. What I have was made by the ONLY people here that make reenactment stuff.

You people will hate me.

What people see:

[close]

What it actually is:

[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 11:20:34 pm »
Sure everyone can get cheap uniform and then slowly replace over time with quality.  Popular path for most reenactors, but one thing they dont realize until they do it is the money is being wasted more than buying quality kit directly.  Think about it, 150 bucks for a shitty jacket and 250 for handsewn. You go with shitty one for now, and buy the better one later. You spend  about $400 instead of $250.  Sure you could make money by selling your shitty one but no one will buy used shitty one for 150. You gotta sell it for 100 or less.  Therefore you loose profit on your first purchase.   

p.s. it is not elitism to expect such standard that quickly. Its common sense. Reenacting mean you are portraying a time back then 100%.  Now on other hand, farb elitism, the one who refuse to listen or upgrade. Farb Elitism are the worst than authentic elitism.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 11:25:47 pm »
Allow me to show you what I have to deal with in this crappy 3rd world I live in. Note there is no better quality than this. What I have was made by the ONLY people here that make reenactment stuff.

You people will hate me.

What people see:

[close]

What it actually is:

[close]

I cri evrytim :'(

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 12:31:50 am »
Sure everyone can get cheap uniform and then slowly replace over time with quality.  Popular path for most reenactors, but one thing they dont realize until they do it is the money is being wasted more than buying quality kit directly.  Think about it, 150 bucks for a shitty jacket and 250 for handsewn. You go with shitty one for now, and buy the better one later. You spend  about $400 instead of $250.  Sure you could make money by selling your shitty one but no one will buy used shitty one for 150. You gotta sell it for 100 or less.  Therefore you loose profit on your first purchase.   

p.s. it is not elitism to expect such standard that quickly. Its common sense. Reenacting mean you are portraying a time back then 100%.  Now on other hand, farb elitism, the one who refuse to listen or upgrade. Farb Elitism are the worst than authentic elitism.

Yes, ofc. That makes sense. But as I said the kit would have a future use, you can use it as depot kit for people who are new or have no money. As I said, I have more money than I need, so for me it is just a choice that I took because I wanted to take it. ACW is not my first priority. I will replace the kit slowly, making more and more stuff available for depot.

In that sense I am a Farb, but I know that I am, and I am currently, on purpose. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:33:35 am by Olafson »