Author Topic: Music Listening Club  (Read 15149 times)

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Music Listening Club
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:30:48 am »

Madvillain(MF DOOM and Madlib) - Madvilliany
(Wikipedia)

Background/Review(AllMusic)

Madvillainy represents the highly anticipated collaboration between Madlib and MF Doom. Recorded throughout 2003 -- a year which, between the two of them (under various aliases), saw more than eight releases featuring their work. When Madvillainy was released in March 2004 it became obvious that the best was saved for last as MF Doom's unpredictable lyrical style fits quite nicely within Madlib's unconventional beat orchestrations. Twenty-two short and blunted tracks bang out mythical stories of villains and urban (anti) heroes trying to make it through with their ganja and wits still intact -- each flows together in a comic book fashion sometimes segued with vignettes sampled from 1940s movies and broadcasts or left-field marjuana-toting skits. Madvillainy's strength lies in its mix between seemingly obtuse beats, samples, MCing, and some straight-up hip-hop bumping. Take "Accordion" for example. A wacky accordion sample loops throughout a slow-paced beat and lazy bassline while Doom flies through almost unaware of the background at times. Or "Raid," which features a beat that seems to be so out of time or step with a traditional hip-hop direction. But Doom sits quite comfortable within its frame and sets up Medaphor for a slick guest appearance. Other guests include the bad character, Lord Quasimoto, on "Americas Most Blunted" and the Sun Ra-inspired "Shadows of Tomorrow"; Wildchild blasts million-miles-an-hour rhymes on "Hardcore Hustle" and Stacy Epps floats through "Eye." Madvillainy gets close to the genius seen on Quasimoto's Unseen, and like that record this one might take a few listens to find it. But once it clicks in, this disc stays in the CD player for days.

Streaming

Spotify

Track list

Articles/Reviews
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5579-madvillainy/
https://www.allmusic.com/album/madvillainy-mw0000335176
https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.28021/title.madvillain-madvillainy-in-review-10-year-anniversary#

Want more like this?
King Geedorah
Danger Doom
Vaudeville Villain
KMD

Earl Sweatshirt
Captain Murphy
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:04:11 am by Dan the Seagull Chef »
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline Nero_

• Lieutenant General
  • fatal not fictitious
    • View Profile
  • Nick: wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 09:24:42 am »
gold

Offline Moi~

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Verm2 god
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:56:54 pm »
padawan should replace chicken as captain, he has every ability a true leader should possess, a good voice, skill, experience & dedication. Padawan has all of these things and the only reason he wasn't allowed into team spain was cause chicken was afraid of him since he truly knew how much of a danger padawan could be to his spot.
padawan is no padawan any longer, he is a MASTER now and i would be AFRAID to fight him with team NL since he can 1v10 us easily!
#justice4padawan

• Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 04:55:16 am »
ok I fixed it so it doesn't take 3 years to load
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline DjOverJoy

• Sergeant
  • NW Celebrity; Anyone who is anyone knows me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DjOverJoy
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 05:01:45 am »
Now THIS is what will revive NW

• Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 08:42:50 am »
Now THIS is what will revive NW
That's the plan

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
  • Side: Union
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 09:51:45 pm »
Borderline schizo, sorta fine tits though.

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Unitater

• Second Lieutenant
  • Weeb Potato.
    • View Profile
    • 41st NY Vol FSE Page
  • Nick: 41stNY Col | discord.gg/41stny
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 09:56:08 pm »
Hey this is pretty cool
Click Signature to Join the 41st NY Discord

• Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 12:01:40 am »
Borderline schizo, sorta fine tits though.
Like mos def once said. "He raps as weird as I feel"

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 11:14:51 pm »
Definitely among my top 3-5 rappers of all time, and as far as individual musicians, easily top 25 I think, I don't know where exactly if I was to rank them though. His style and structure of writing lyrics is really just straight up clever, among other things. His motifs are so hard to easily guess as they come but he rewards you so hard for trying to predict what his setups are leading to, and in a way he's Gorillaz-esque in that he develops these themes and stories and overall picture to the characters he's created, but he's just so vivid with it and doesn't waste words for the point of radio playability that it works better than Gorillaz, which often just sounds like Damon Albarn roleplaying. That shit's irrelevant, anyway, Madvillainy is probably an album I'll listen to for the rest of my life.

One of my favorites, sooo good.
Spoiler
[close]

Cool idea Dan, I'll be lurking this for sure.

• Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 06:18:11 am »
Spoiler
Definitely among my top 3-5 rappers of all time, and as far as individual musicians, easily top 25 I think, I don't know where exactly if I was to rank them though. His style and structure of writing lyrics is really just straight up clever, among other things. His motifs are so hard to easily guess as they come but he rewards you so hard for trying to predict what his setups are leading to, and in a way he's Gorillaz-esque in that he develops these themes and stories and overall picture to the characters he's created, but he's just so vivid with it and doesn't waste words for the point of radio playability that it works better than Gorillaz, which often just sounds like Damon Albarn roleplaying. That shit's irrelevant, anyway, Madvillainy is probably an album I'll listen to for the rest of my life.

One of my favorites, sooo good.
Spoiler
[close]

Cool idea Dan, I'll be lurking this for sure.
[close]

It's so perfectly planned to sound random. DOOM just sounds like a super villain using his powers to be evil with his flow. Stuff like Meat Grinder literally sounding sinister then you have Figaro with the killer beat and then you have All Caps with the samples. It's seriously just so good at being good.

• Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 06:36:24 am »

Nujabes - Modal Soul(Jazzhop/Hip Hop)
(Wikipedia)

Background/Review(BonusMusic)

[Nujabes'] follow-up album to his fantastic debut Metaphorical Music is called Modal Soul, and in 2005 it presented some of hip-hop’s core values to a razor thin point: love, compassion, collaboration and understanding. What’s immediately stunning about Modal Soul is that it combines atmospheric feeling of echoing synths and gliding orchestra movements with jazz-like percussion cuts. Almost as if he planned it, Modal Soul is a tribute to hip-hop’s history; Nujabes blends the technical and musical innovation of the 00s and interweaves it with the one love collaboration of the 80s and 90s.

Streaming

Spotify

Track list

Articles/Reviews
https://bonuscut.com/2014/01/15/album-of-the-week-modal-soul-by-nujabes/
https://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/4wg3bv/why_is_it_so_good_modal_soul_by_nujabes/
https://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/1hph0h/guide_to_nujabes_xpost_from_rchillhop/

Want more like this?
Jazzhop/Chillhop/LoFi Hip Hop(Pretty much everything recommended on Youtube nowadays)
Uyama Hiroto
dj krush - Kakusei(Personally recommend)
Can't really talk about these guys but it's a start
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:57:42 am by Dan the Seagull Chef »

Offline MarxeiL

• Lieutenant General
  • Cvet nastroenija - serij, samij skuchnij
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 13e | CCCP
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 10:56:09 pm »
Good stuff, mate!
| 1x 10v10 Winner | 2x 9v9 Winner | 2x 8v8 Winner | 1x 7v7 Winner | 1x 6v6 Winner | 2x 5v5 Winner | 1x 4v4 Winner | 1x 3v3 Winner |
| 1x TDT Winner | 1x NWL (2nd L) Winner | 1x NWL (1st L) Winner | 1x RGT Winner | 2x RGL Winner |
| 1x TDT Runner-up | 1x 8v8 Runner-up | 1x 7v7 Runner-up | 1x NWFL Runner-up | 1x EIC Runner-up | 1x 2v2 Runner-up |

• Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 01:00:58 pm »
Alright you fogies, this album means a lot to me because I like it and I think it's pretty good. Like no special sob story about it but I've probably listened to it 500-600 times because it's just really good. It sort of just has the production of an angel and the lyrics of a blind African child who knows three words. Good thing it's like an 11/10 on instrumentals because the lyrics are not really what you came to see. Not to say that they are terrible or anything but they aren't the main course. Feathers to kick it off sort of gives us that juicy taste. Absolutely banging instrumental with pretty good flow and lyricism just gives the chilliest of vibes. I'm pretty sure you're meant to be able to sleep in a firefight while listening to this shit. The pope would probably be passing a bowl by 10 minutes in.