Author Topic: Game of Thrones thread (USE SPOILERS)  (Read 282251 times)

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
  • Side: Union
Re: Game of Thrones thread (USE SPOILERS)
« Reply #1560 on: May 18, 2016, 04:46:49 am »
¯\_(˘з˘)_/¯

Offline Commander Bondage

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Don Bonleone
« Reply #1561 on: May 18, 2016, 04:47:04 am »
I mean...now that my hair is longer i don't keep it tied as much...
Tears and screams of pain and pleasure our gifts we will share forever
*President of the Heartkeeper's club*Chairman of the Good Boys board*

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: May 18, 2016, 04:47:34 am »
ur gay lol

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: May 18, 2016, 04:48:08 am »
just saying.

I didnt come here for your approval kid

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #1564 on: May 18, 2016, 04:49:07 am »

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: May 18, 2016, 04:49:43 am »
lmao

dont forget to tip that fedora

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #1566 on: May 18, 2016, 04:51:11 am »
lmao

dont forget to tip that fedora
Go home and be a family man, Bondage.

ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: May 18, 2016, 04:51:44 am »
Already am  :'(

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1568 on: May 18, 2016, 04:01:39 pm »

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: May 18, 2016, 05:46:27 pm »
saw that shows how silly that fight was but, whatever.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: May 18, 2016, 11:40:00 pm »
I think I figured it out. I'm going to assume that the reason Arthur Dayne used two swords in the show is so that it'd be easy to choreograph it to make him look cool. Realistically, though, I think two swords is nonsensical, while fighting well while outnumbered using a greatsword like Dawn is pretty damn difficult. But, it's harder to choreograph it to make the watcher engaged. But, I mean, the scene is so big and important in other ways (FUCK YOU RAVEN SHOW US LYANNA), why does it need to just look cool?

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: May 18, 2016, 11:43:05 pm »
In reality it sucks to fight with two swords, in reality you would stand no chance against 4 people alone.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #1572 on: May 19, 2016, 12:09:03 am »
It WAS done though, fighting with two swords was still a thing in the medieval times etc. And obviously the fight scene isn't going to be realistic. If all fight scenes were realistic then they'd be over  VERY quickly and would also be boring to watch, which nobody wants.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: May 19, 2016, 12:43:24 am »
It was done as an art form, or physical exercise, or in attempts to be dead. There's no reason you would want to have a second sword over a shield, especially if you're using swords light and small enough to use easily in a single hand. Most medieval European fighters either used a sword and shield, a hand-and-a-half/bastard which was meant for use without a shield and used in two and at times one hand, and longswords, which were pretty strictly two-handed. You could say greatswords were also commonly used, but they were more so ceremonial, with only the biggest, brawniest dudes using them--though they were definitely still used, namely by the nobility that grew up well-fed and nurtured, making them grow taller and larger than most average people. To actively strive to fight better with two swords is something an idiot like Aerion Targaryen would do. And if you're so good a fighter that you're given your house's ancestral sword that was made out of a fucking meteor and only ever gets bestowed upon the house's absolute best fighters throughout history and is otherwise locked up in a vault, you're going to practice how to fight well with it. And if it's a greatsword, you practice and fight with greatswords.

Spoiler
And if Dawn is Lightbringer like some theories say, it's stupid for them to just ignore it. The fight in the books was set up so Arthur Dayne had this great fuckin' greatsword that's nearly magic (possibly Valyrian since they take a lot of similar traits as the Valyrians), and his two other kingsguard pals, Oswell Whent (who funnily enough is portrayed with two swords in his wiki picture), and the Lord Commander Gerold Hightower, who was likely a better fighter in his old age than Jaime ever was. Why amalgamate the two? It's seriously just to make Arthur seem badass, I feel, and it really gives off the wrong message. The show shouldn't be about eye-candy, but it quickly has become just that.
[close]

If all fight scenes were realistic then they'd be over  VERY quickly and would also be boring to watch, which nobody wants.

Not necessarily. A fight like this and its outcome is pretty unique in that the outnumbered party (7v3) managed to kill all but two of the other. That implies a lot of readiness, quick thinking, tension, suspense, etc. etc. You can't tell me you've never been in a Warband match where the game falls down to a handful of people, and though the fight may last a while, it's never boring, and in fact, quite engaging and interesting. That's a game with 2-4 attack and block directions. But nah, two swords flipping around idiotically while guys twirl around and hide behind shields is waaay better. That entire fight scene went by and I was just sitting there like "wat is hapenin."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:47:26 am by Audiate »

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #1574 on: May 19, 2016, 01:16:28 am »
Wikipedia, great source hahaha. Anyways, using a sword and shield is also pretty much dual wielding. (side note, the term dual wielding is a very modern term, and wouldn't have been used in military history, the term dual wielding seems to have derived from video games or something). Of course the technique wasn't good in battle, as your were susceptible to projectiles etc. It's not something that was generally useful in large battles but was still used nonetheless, and I can see it being used in this kind of duel that happens at the tower of joy scene. The technique of "dual wielding" was derived from Italy, and it was called Florentine. Of course Florentine wasn't common, it was rare to find somebody who did, but it was still around, and was used in combat.

Spoiler
[close]

And I was saying that if the fighting was realistic, it would be over very quickly. Unlike Warband where the fights take a while and the suspense/tension is greater. Using Warband is a terrible example. Fights that last 10 seconds are not suspenseful, and you're lying out of your ass if you think that it is, nobody would want movie sword fighting scenes to be short lasted and realistic. Also whirling around your swords like that seems to make sense against a numerous amount of opponents, more so to keep them distracted.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:59:58 am by Windflower »