Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 524920 times)

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #3975 on: June 29, 2018, 03:15:58 pm »
Okay, I understand you probably think you weren't succesfully targeted by a political organisation, because people tend to think those effects only work on other people, but I can assure you, you were.
Oh yeah you know better than me of course. I was only influenced by a few teachers who were not part of any political organisations.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3976 on: June 29, 2018, 03:22:10 pm »
Okay, I understand you probably think you weren't succesfully targeted by a political organisation, because people tend to think those effects only work on other people, but I can assure you, you were.
Oh yeah you know better than me of course. I was only influenced by a few teachers who were not part of any political organisations.
Teachers who vote. Who have been influenced and then influence you in turn.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: June 29, 2018, 06:38:49 pm »

Unless you live in a shed with no internet (apart from FSE of course) and have succesfully avoided all human interaction (except those teachers I guess?) since the day of your birth, you have been the target of a political campaign at some point in your life. If you open a newspaper with political news, you already are.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3978 on: June 29, 2018, 09:36:49 pm »

Teachers are often extremely politically active. I wish I could be in this mystical realm of non-partisan teachers.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Suns

« Reply #3979 on: June 29, 2018, 09:38:15 pm »

Teachers are often extremely politically active. I wish I could be in this mystical realm of non-partisan teachers.

teachers unions.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: June 29, 2018, 09:41:21 pm »
In the UK, teachers in high schools aren’t supposed to politically influence their students.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
« Reply #3981 on: June 29, 2018, 09:44:41 pm »
I'm not sure they are anywhere. What people are supposed to do and what they actually do is often divergent.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: June 29, 2018, 10:10:51 pm »
The EU's very own 'Fall of Saigon' moment.
https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-eu-staff-workload-european-parliament-elections-brexit-legislation/

Yeah... I doubt we're gonna see a 100.000 KIA and WIA due to an overworked staff. You sure have this weird habit of connecting events today with completely unparalled events in the past. First Germany is just as bad as it was in 1939 and now...well I truly don't know what the parallel is you are trying to draw. Just stop being so dramatic, or I'm gonna have to find all the predictions you made in the past because I really don't have anything better to do anyway.

Too late, I did.

Meh, when Italy leaves the Eurozone (only a matter of time) others will follow and it'll collapse.

Still waiting.

Dutch elections in a little over a week, what are the predictions? I reckon Wilders will lead the largest party but will get nowhere near government. Also Rutte won't stay on as PM either-you can't lose almost half your support verses last time and still carry on.

Wrong, and ooh, wrong.

The EU has never looked weaker and I should think all it would take would be another economic or political crisis to drive it over the cliff edge.

Literally more then a year ago but ok.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:24:03 pm by Duuring »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch, German & French Elections Thread, or The General Political Thread
« Reply #3984 on: June 29, 2018, 10:23:20 pm »
Woops I double-posted and cos I'm not a moderator anymore I can't remove it. Shame.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: June 29, 2018, 11:56:43 pm »
I've broken Duuring.

The phrase "Fall of Saigon moment" is an historical idiom in common usage. It simply means the symbolic end of a regime. It does not mean there has to be 100,000+ dead or whatever. Similar historical idioms include "Crossing the Rubicon" (which when used today does not actually mean crossing the Rubicon river) and "The Die is Cast" (does not actually mean casting a die) etc. You've learnt English from a textbook so don't expect to know everything a native speaker would.

As for the predictions they've turned out quite well in my opinion.
Has Italy left the Eurozone? Not yet but I said it was a matter of time. Given current Italian politics how sure are you they won't? I note the odds at the bookies of it happening have been slashed considerably.

Sure, Wilders only came second and Rutte scraped through to remain as PM.

The prediction re: EU disintegration/collapse still stands. Even Druncker is admitting the migrant crisis is ripping the bloc apart.

So, in short, your understanding of the English language needs work and you're claiming I don't know what I'm talking about because my long-term predictions haven't occurred within the space of 12 months. Okay.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:46:18 am by StevenChilton »

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: June 30, 2018, 12:04:00 am »
Actually, the phrase is “the die is cast”. If you’re going to lecture someone on English, at least get it right yourself.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:19:22 am by Toffee »

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: June 30, 2018, 12:12:36 am »
Duuring calling out someone for making inaccurate predictions?

Oh boy, you'd be in trouble had you not deleted the 2016 politics thread.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: June 30, 2018, 12:39:21 am »

Yes, which is ironic.

Actually, the phrase is “the die is cast”. If you’re going to lecture someone on English, at least get it right yourself.

Common misconception. The original Latin states 'alea', which means 'a game of dice'. It is not meant to be taken as a singular die. I originally put 'Let the dice be thrown', which according to Mary Beard is the most exact translation, but then changed it back and f*cked it up.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: June 30, 2018, 12:50:49 am »

Yes, which is ironic.

Common misconception. The original Latin states 'alea', which means 'a game of dice'. It is not meant to be taken as a singular die. I originally put 'Let the dice be thrown', which according to Mary Beard is the most exact translation, but then changed it back and f*cked it up.
So you fucked it up. My point stands. Also please don’t censor yourself.