Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 524405 times)

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #2625 on: March 05, 2018, 08:29:03 pm »
Wait I don't get what you mean Steven, it's not the EU that cares where the border is, it's the UK that does. Either the border has to go between NI and ROI in which case Good Friday agreement looks a little shaky or the border goes between NI and GB which looks terrible for the UK. In reality obviously it's going between NI and ROI, so it's up to May to try to frame that as a "victory" somehow.

It was obviously going to be an issue when the idea of Brexit was first proposed, and the fact it was never addressed until this late is just further proof that the UK doesn't give a shit about NI and they're better off forming a united Ireland.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2626 on: March 05, 2018, 08:55:43 pm »
Actually both sides care a great deal as the issue is a case study in what Brexit will look like. May is incompetent but on this I think she's played it as best she can. What the UK/IRE border looks like depends fundamentally on the trading arrangements UK/EU come to post-Brexit. However before trade talks could begin the EU demanded assurances on the border which naturally May could not give. It's a bit like demanding an airline make a binding agreement to fly you without first specifying where it is you want to go.

The point is, it literally can't be addressed before trade talks begin. The only reason the EU sequenced the talks in such a weird way is because they wanted to bind May's hands and win concessions. If she commits to an open border then Brussels will play hardball in setting out all kinds of conditions for her to meet.

I mean, come on, the EU really doesn't give a shit about British or Irish people any more than they cared about the Greeks. This is just playing politics to achieve a desired outcome.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #2627 on: March 05, 2018, 10:18:30 pm »
I mean, come on, the EU really doesn't give a shit about British or Irish people any more than they cared about the Greeks. This is just playing politics to achieve a desired outcome.
Well obviously; they won't be in the EU so why should they care (assuming you mean NI)? They have their own interests to look after. I don't know why anyone would be surprised about this, I mean it was clear from before the vote that the EU was going to force concessions. The UK has always had the poorer footing with regards to the deal, precisely because they hadn't bothered thinking about any of the details of it before going to a referendum. It was a blind leap forward with no structure and we're reaping the consequences. Who'dve thunk?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: March 05, 2018, 11:34:37 pm »
No, I mean Ireland and the UK. Of course they're going to force concessions but my point is it's naive to think their 'concern' over the border is caused by anything other than economic self-interest. Brussels does not really care about the Troubles anymore than it cared about Eastern Ukraine when pushing for the EU-Ukraine Association agreement.

Offline Jakester

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Jousting Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jakester
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2629 on: March 06, 2018, 03:08:10 am »
Interested to see what people think about South Africa on this forum? Especially European's opinions but in general.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #2630 on: March 06, 2018, 09:39:19 am »
Economy crisis, big seperation between poor and rich, no social services, terrible goverments and corruption?

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: March 06, 2018, 10:00:45 am »
I heard Zuma was a great guy.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #2632 on: March 06, 2018, 10:50:48 am »
Another question is what do you guys think the future will be with Brexit, for the 2+milion Polish and other EU citizens living in the UK, and other way around the 1.5+ milion UK citizens living in the EU?

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: March 06, 2018, 03:04:16 pm »
They’ll make a deal so people can stay. Doubt the government will want to deal with that shitshow of bringing back all the overseas Brits

Offline Von Bergen

• Best Kindergarten Teacher EU West
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
  • Nick: Jay Mc Lovin
« Reply #2634 on: March 06, 2018, 03:38:08 pm »
Also, try like getting rid of 2 Million People in your country that have been there for decades. Even if all would just go without any troubles they leave behind a shit tone of Jobs etc. undone in the future. Sure Uk may can handle that, but i think it would be an ammount of work they just want to prevent.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: March 06, 2018, 04:14:30 pm »
Another question is what do you guys think the future will be with Brexit, for the 2+milion Polish and other EU citizens living in the UK, and other way around the 1.5+ milion UK citizens living in the EU?

Dunno, but May needs to extract promises of safety particularly from the Germans. Don't want our people ending up in camps again.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: March 06, 2018, 04:49:00 pm »
Yeah it just makes more sense to make a deal where everybody stays put. Besides I wonder how many of the British immigrants are in retirement age in Spain anyway.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: March 06, 2018, 11:56:58 pm »
Another pressing question: now that the UK is leaving the European Union, will the British curriculum specification start teaching that the equation of a straight line is y = mx + b instead of the great British equation y = mx + c ?

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: March 06, 2018, 11:59:17 pm »
Another pressing question: now that the UK is leaving the European Union, will the British curriculum specification start teaching that the equation of a straight line is y = mx + b instead of the great British equation y = mx + c ?
This needs to be taken to the UN security council immediately

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: March 07, 2018, 12:57:53 pm »
Interested to see what people think about South Africa on this forum? Especially European's opinions but in general.

Spoiler
[close]