Author Topic: "Empire: Total War" Mods: What do you recommend?  (Read 34618 times)

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: "Empire: Total War" Mods: What do you recommend?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 06:31:17 am »
Darthmod empire crashes in the campaign sadly, I can never finish it.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 07:43:50 am »
Can you explain exactly why you dislike Darthmod so much? I'm genuinely curious, as I've never played any other mod for ETW so I don't really have any sense of perspective on the matter.
Darthmod empire crashes in the campaign sadly, I can never finish it.

This is one of the problems I have. Also, I find it to be highly unrealistic, and the spam of new units overwhelms me. I also find the new CAI and BAI to not really be all that different than the vanilla CAI and BAI. They still rush you, collide with each other, shoot at the wrong targets; I understand there is only so much you can change, but it's kind of pathetic. Also, I find the small mini-mod additions to be unnecessary and useless, things like smoke and blood, sound mods, things like that.

I'm a fan of realism, and any mod that can get even close to it, I will enjoy. Unfortunately, DarthMod advertises as such, but it's hardly realistic, other than one or two things every here and there. I also personally am not fond of the Darth Vader himself, the guy who made the mods. He's snobby, entitled, and a douchebag. I think his awards for "best mods" got to his head, and now he thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

There were a couple mods I thoroughly enjoyed. Blue and the Grey (ACW), European Wars II, and when I could get them to work, the Goutlard Overhaul Mini-mods.

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 08:01:43 am »
Petschie I too enjoy a mod that adds realism to any of my total war games could you recommend one for empire?

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 08:02:43 am »
Hmm well I really liked Darthmod because I could play as any nation in the game including pirates, whereas in vanilla I could not. I saw the new units as a welcome addition  as I thought the game had a rather dry unit variety. I never really saw TW as being a realistic series so the parts that failed to fix the realism issues weren't that much of a problem for me. One thing that I was very disappointed about was that the God-awful siege battles were not fixed or even improved in any way, even though they were advertised to do so, and that was what ultimately turned me off from the mod as well as the game itself.

Anyway, i've always wanted to know if there were some good 30 years war mods for empire or Napoleon tw. It's my favorite time period and last I checked there were not any very well done mods for that era.

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2013, 08:59:49 am »
Oh, boy. I'll dig them up tomorrow. And, if you're a frequent user, then you should have seen the many people that ask, and the many people that say it won't happen. A few instances, moderators and a CA dev himself said they have no plans of venturing that late.

Many people ask and many peeople respond, but none of them actually knows it. Typical rumors, which is why I always want to see quotes from actualy employees before I believe it :)
I'm with you, I don't think it's gonna happen either, but as long as it hasn't been deconfirmed, we shouldn't say it's never gonna happen :)
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 03:32:57 pm »
Quite so!
You never know though, CA can always surprise us.
The first modder for NW.

Offline hethwill

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hethwill_Khan
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 05:41:11 pm »
ACW, by far the best IMO.

Been running a AAR since time ago ( stopped at the moment but saves are in place ) with videos and all :)

Is worth a look at least for the videos to check the quality of the work done by the team.

http://www.reveran.com/warband/index.php/topic,1463.0.html

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2013, 05:48:51 pm »
Can't say I enjoy looking at giant smoke clouds the entire game.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2013, 08:09:30 pm »
Actually, it's not. I am a user of the Total War forums, and there have been many people ask about a Victorian Total War. Creative Assembly developers said they will not venture that late int the 1800s.

But they have already done it...

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 09:44:38 pm »
Actually, it's not. I am a user of the Total War forums, and there have been many people ask about a Victorian Total War. Creative Assembly developers said they will not venture that late int the 1800s.

That was an expansion. I suppose that's the closest we'll ever get to a true Victorian era or later TW game.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 11:05:26 pm »

Yes, they did with Fall of the Samurai, but that is not what I meant. I meant that they will not release a full game strictly focusing on the world in the late 1800s. FotS was an expansion for Shogun 2, but still only featured Japan as the playable theater. There was a rumor that R2TW was going to be Empires: Total War, and was going to be about the late Victorian era and up to WWI. But, that was shot down by a CA developer.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 10:04:32 pm »

Yes, they did with Fall of the Samurai, but that is not what I meant. I meant that they will not release a full game strictly focusing on the world in the late 1800s. FotS was an expansion for Shogun 2, but still only featured Japan as the playable theater. There was a rumor that R2TW was going to be Empires: Total War, and was going to be about the late Victorian era and up to WWI. But, that was shot down by a CA developer.

If there's a will there's a way. If people want a Victorian Era game, they will get it eventually, CA just wants to make money and have a strong fanbase at the end of the day.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 10:10:43 pm »
If people want a Victorian Era game, they will get it eventually

No they won't. Creative Assembly has their own vision and they shouldn't twist it because people who don't understand the spirit of the TW series want something that completely goes against that vision.

After the Napoleonic era things started to change in terms of warfare with mass troop movements and pitched battles, and the TW series has always been about representing that kind of action.

And I sure hope CA doesn't just want to make money at the end of the day, but after seeing how ETW, NTW, and Shogun 2 turned out it's kind of making me lose hope.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2013, 10:34:40 pm »
There is a mod for ETW being made at the moment called "Victoria." It's all about the late Victorian era. Thing is, they've run into so many problems. One of them being, the evolution of battle tactics, uniforms, and empire zones. Let's face it, a Victorian era Total War won't work. From 1870-1900, almost every European nation changed their armies at least three times. To display that change in Total War will be hard to implement. Another reason why I think Creative Assembly won't go that late into history, it's too difficult to capture.

Anywho, I'm going to go back to Blue and the Grey for Empire, again. If there are any other mods you guys can think of, I'm always open to try them.

Offline ellis

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:37 pm »

Yes, they did with Fall of the Samurai, but that is not what I meant. I meant that they will not release a full game strictly focusing on the world in the late 1800s. FotS was an expansion

for Shogun 2, but still only featured Japan as the playable theater. There was a rumor that R2TW was going to be Empires: Total War, and was going to be about the late Victorian era and up to WWI. But, that was shot down by a CA developer.

If there's a will there's a way. If people want a Victorian Era game, they will get it eventually, CA just wants to make money and have a strong fanbase at the end of the day.

It was already hard to make implant different strategies in napoleon other than from in lines, in the late 1800s and early 1900s there we no tactics except shoot,shoot, and fire a cannon.