Author Topic: Scourge of War - Gettysburg  (Read 9600 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Scourge of War - Gettysburg
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 06:40:10 pm »
Scourge of War just annouced their next standalone will be Waterloo! This mean i can finally play as the Prussians! Preußen Gloria!

At one hand I like that idea, at the other I do hope it's not going to be another 'British-heroes-of-Waterloo'-game.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 04:49:26 am »
Knowing SOW, there wont be any of that. If they can set up entire Corps to Brigade leading with accurate photo of officer leading that positon and stuff. Mainly the historical information they poured in Gettysburg was simply amazing and awesome. I have no doubt they would do the same into WAterloo. I seriously hope there will be Prussians, the current nap war mod only has Austrians. :c

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 11:03:53 am »
Sounds good, sounds good.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 11:12:05 am »
I just hope it won't be that expensive as the ACW versions were. It is that I was really hyped to play it again, but otherwise I would never pay 30 euro's for a game like that.

Apart from that, is it just me or is giving orders to your generals sometimes just a pain in the arse? I have the feeling I have to manually move every regiment in order to do it right. When I give command to the AI it does sometimes just weird things, (like turning lines straight infront of the enemy).

Offline Dordak_the_Lost

• Donator
  • Faugh a Ballagh!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 03:37:10 pm »
I just hope it won't be that expensive as the ACW versions were. It is that I was really hyped to play it again, but otherwise I would never pay 30 euro's for a game like that.

Apart from that, is it just me or is giving orders to your generals sometimes just a pain in the arse? I have the feeling I have to manually move every regiment in order to do it right. When I give command to the AI it does sometimes just weird things, (like turning lines straight infront of the enemy).

The ai is supposed to be realistic which means occasionally the regiments/brigades/divisions will use their judgment to react to the situation instead of following your orders. That sometimes adds a certain level of frustration to the game when units appear to ignore you. (My artillery does this quite a bit.) You can overrule the unit commander with the "take command" button.(The yellow button with the flag.) Personally I prefer this type of ai more than the mindless robots of the Total War series.

What level of command are you playing at?

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 06:54:01 pm »

I've always find that quite annoying. Especially when your commanding at Divisional level. So Many Regiments to turn. Thats why i tend to keep myself as Brigadier General and couple of my friend actually enjoy higher command. I let them take it and play under their command. 

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2014, 06:55:24 pm »
Been playing a bit. Had quite an enjoyable time so far. It's a shame that you can't play as the entire Army of Northern Virginia, or the Potomac in the Gettysburg scenario's. You only seem to can in sandboxes, which don't seem to have any historical aspect, and just spawn your troops right infront of the enemy all over the map. Which looks quite retarded.

Spoiler
[close]
First day of Gettysburg as Jackson. Probably the easiest scenario out there.  ;D

Encircle that shiitttt..
Spoiler
[close]

A new division arrives...
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:56:57 pm by Gokiller »

Offline Dordak_the_Lost

• Donator
  • Faugh a Ballagh!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2014, 07:56:54 pm »
Been playing a bit. Had quite an enjoyable time so far. It's a shame that you can't play as the entire Army of Northern Virginia, or the Potomac in the Gettysburg scenario's. You only seem to can in sandboxes, which don't seem to have any historical aspect, and just spawn your troops right infront of the enemy all over the map. Which looks quite retarded.

Spoiler
[close]
First day of Gettysburg as Jackson. Probably the easiest scenario out there.  ;D

Encircle that shiitttt..
Spoiler
[close]

A new division arrives...
Spoiler
[close]

The Chancellorsville expansion has a scenario where you command the entire ANV. Antietam has two army command scenarios(one for each side) and Pipe Creek has one Union army command scenario. I don't know about the other expansions because the three I listed are the only ones I have right now. I wonder why they didn't make any for Gettysburg...

Sandbox takes a little messing around with to figure out how to get good games but they are possible. I have found you can do army vs army battles with no problems on sandbox if you choose "Hunt them down." Choosing the Attack or Defend options seems to cause larger forces to overlap a bit.

Offline Death by EMP

• Major
  • Crunch, forever and always
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CRUNCH
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2014, 04:22:04 am »
Not particularly related, but if you guys enjoy Wargaming games like this, Matrixgames, a large provider of wargames and the provider of Scourge of War, just reduced their prices for many games permanently. Unfortunately, no Scourge of War, but some of these might be worth checking out. Here is the list and links (;

http://www.slithdata.net/files/news/MG_MG_SALES_PermamentReduction_List.pdf

Lots of Grand Strategy, but also some RTS like SoW, such as Chariots of War, For Liberty, Gates of Troy, History: Great Battles Medieval, Legion Arena Gold, Officers, and Spartan.

I picked up Napoleon in Italy and Battles in Normandy, they looked quite good from some reviews I read. Also, if you guys like Grand Strategy (I'd assume you are the crowd that do), I have a couple download links for Fall Weiss and Strategic War in Europe.

Offline Garnier

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2014, 12:40:50 am »
Hey guys, Scourge of War is on sale for $15 right now. 

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/441/details/Scourge.of.War:.Gettysburg

For this price, I highly recommend getting it.  It's now fully patched and is in its prime time.  There are more people playing and modding it now than ever. 

You can join in multiplayer here: http://www.sowmp.com

Or play the singleplayer campaign here:
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifications/44306-gcm-singleplayer-campaign#44306

You don't need to get any of the expansions to play multiplayer or the singleplayer campaign.  (If you want more historical scenarios you can always get the expansions later.)

Cheers!
Garnier