Author Topic: Some scattered unused things by myself.  (Read 5431 times)

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Some scattered unused things by myself.
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:50:48 pm »
Several times I've worked on threads that I haven't followed up so I have some spare resources lieing around.

These are all there to be used by anyone who wants them and they are unfinished however to use you must post that you are doing so in this thread and you must give credit at the end of your post, should you use them.

Oh and if anyone makes the 3rd Foot Guards, send me a message and I'll give you some scrumptious resources.

9e Legere.

Spoiler

The 9e Légère, is a new and young French Light infantry regiment hoping to truly emulate the glory grasped by the 9e through swift deployment, deadly use of the bayonet and accurate use of the musket. Formed by a core of old veterans we are determined to field a formidable force. Whilst at the moment we field only the company of Chasseurs, we do hope to eventually spread to Voltigeur and Carabineer company's.

Le Compagnies de 9e Régiment d’Infanterie Légère.

1ère compagnie
Le Compagnie de Carabineers.

The Carabineers are the first of the two elite
compagnie’s of the bataillon and focus on use
of the cold steel to show our enemies what for!

Roster.

Capitaine Claude de Eslon
Sous Lieutenant
Sergent Major
Sergent
Caporal
Carabineer
Carabineer
Carabineer
Carabineer
Carabineer
Carabineer
Carabineer
Carabineer
Carabineer
Carabineer

2ème compagnie
Le Compagnie de Chasseurs.

The Chasseurs, or hunters, form the backbone
of the bataillon and is the compagnie in which
all cadets and all new initiates are sent to.

Roster.

Lieutenant T. Girod
Adjutant
Sergent
Caporal
Chasseur
Chasseur
Chasseur
Chasseur
Chasseur
Chasseur
Conscrit
Conscrit
Conscrit
Conscrit

3e compagnie
Le Compagnie de Voltigeurs.

The Voltigeurs are one of the two elite
compagnie’s of the bataillon and
focuses on elite light infantry tactics.

Roster.

Lieutenant M, Gudot
Sergent Major
Sergent
Caporal
Voltigeur
Voltigeur
Voltigeur
Voltigeur
Voltigeur
Voltigeur
Voltigeur
Voltigeur
Voltigeur
Voltigeur

[close]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:25:22 am by James Grant »

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Some scattered unused things by myself.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:50:54 pm »
Spoiler

The Loyal Lusitanian Legion was a force raised in Great Britain in 1808 following the expulsion from Portugal of the monarchy and thousands of others after French and Spanish forces swiftly forced them from the country and disbanded the standing army in late 1807.
Whilst the highest of the gentry headed to the large and prosperous colony of Brazil, many more headed for England.
After hearing of the uprisings throughout Spain and Portugal against the French many of these expatriates in the south of England approached Chevalier de Souza, the Portuguese ambassador in London who had already been doing what he could to have the British government fund a new Portuguese force with 3 battalions and supporting artillery. But following the May the 2nd uprisings his attempts were suddenly more successful and he was granted his request though with the senior staff being made of British officers. The unit would initially be raised from ‘the Portuguese in England of which there are about 400 exclusive of officers [who] should form a battalion. That the cloathing of a whole battalion with arms and accoutrements & should be immediately expedited to Plymouth … clothing for the two other battalions should be made up at Oporto … two light field pieces and one howitzer should be put on board … if Lord Castlereagh approves the project…’ And approve it on Lord Castlereagh did! On the 29th of July 1808 he approved on behalf of the British government the ‘proposal for raising and arming a Corps of Portuguese.’
Even before the enlistment of the legion has begun the requisition of arms was made a vital point, owing partly to the extreme difficulty to be had if requisitioning said articles in the Iberian Peninsula. With 2,302 uniforms ordered as well as 2,070 muskets with bayonets, 120 rifles with bayonets, 64 pistols, 24 bugles, 24 drums, 12 axes, 12 saws and 316 swords the legion's forward attitude was already a clear sight. The somewhat disproportionate amount of swords owing to that corporals of the Portuguese army were armed with swords much like the officers. The artillery of the legion was to be armed with four light 4 pounders and 2 light 5 1/2 inch howitzers, the former were actually found to be of french design and likely to have been captured at Lieger.
Command of the legion was given to Sir Robert Wilson, one of the more enterprising officers of the British gentry, as a young officer of the Flanders campaign in 1794 he had bravely saved the life of the Austrian emperor who knighted young Wilson for his troubles. He was also present and distinguished himself in the 1799 Helder campaign, 1802 Egypt expedition and the cape of Good Hope in 1806.

History continued at the bottom of the thread.

Who we are.
We, the men of the Loyal Lusitanian
Legion are a group of fellows seeking
to become a regiment replicating the
unorthodox tactics of the
aforementioned unit in the early stages
of the Peninsula war with a mixed light
& Rifle unit to make the best light
infantry unit possible, a light cavalry
unit for quick movement around the
battlefield and a small artillery
detachment. With this mixture of classes
we hope to do all we can to surprise
enemy battalions through swift and
deadly combat.
       Infantaria Ligeira,Light Infantry.
Our Light infantry battalion's
primary goal is to create a unit
which can deploy quickly, hit fast
and be victorious through accurate
use of muskets and the more
violent skill of the bayonet. In
addition to this we have a smaller
amount of riflemen within the unit
in order to neutralise the most
threatening of enemy units within
a formation.
        Cavalaria Ligeira,The Light cavalry.
Another aspect of the legion is that
of the Light cavalry. This unit's
primary usage is supporting the
infantry, whether it be to lure
enemies into ambushes or be the
ambush itself. The Light cavalry,
sometimes playing as Hussars and
sometimes as light dragoons, aim
to like the other units use
unorthodox tactics to shatter
enemy opposition like the guerilla's
of the peninsula.
       Artilharia Leve,The Artillery.
Our small artillery detachment is,
unlike most artillery, focused on
mobility, on moving to each
engagement and unleashing
terrifying fire upon enemy
enemy regiments at comparatively
close quarters for the best results.

Ranks and Roster.

Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Major
Capitão
Tenente
Alferes

Quartel-Mestre
Primiero-Sargento
Segundo Sargento
Furriel
Cabo
Anspeçada
Caçador
fuzileiro
Soldado
;Col
;LtCol
;Maj
;Cap
;Tnt
;Afr

;QlM
;PsGo
;SsGo
;Frl
;Cabo
;Apd
;Caz
;Fuz
;Sol
         Officers of the legion.

Infantaria

Cavalaria

Artilharia
       Infantaria       Cavalaria       Artilharia

*Note on senior ranks, the reason British ranks are used
for Major and up is due to all officers above the rank of
captain were commissioned British officers of the British army.

Being in need of experienced officers from the outset the legion was originally given thirteen British officers as well as numerous NCO's. These officers, beside Wilson were Lieutenant Colonels William Mayne,Frederick, Baron de Eben and Edward Hawkshaw, a Major John Grant, Captains James Nesbitt Charles, John Scott Lillie, Charles Western and Edward Baron Daubraya. The legion was also given two surgeons, Mellingen and Bollman as well as cadet John Russel. As soon as all the resources had been gathered with whatever expatriates could be found in the south of England the legion was to be sent to Portugal as swiftly as could be sent. It was around the 12th of August prior to the departure the Colonel Wilson came up with the idea of a cavalry detachment, believing it only proper for a legion to have such, this thought had also been considered by Ambassador de Souza, and so it was that the name 'Loyal Lusitanian Legion' was coined.
The legions establishment called for a staff of 38 officers and NCO's, three light infantry battalions of eight company's, each of 97 officers and men making for a total of 2,328 as well as the artillery company of 86 officers and men. And so it was, that with the exoskeleton of the 1st battalion formed in terms of officers and NCO's the legion set sail for the Peninsula.

The majority of the legions initial activity happened around Porto in early October where it much bolstered it's numbers 'under the auspices of the venerable Bishop of Oporto.' By it's first inspection on the 4th of November 1808 it was in quite a good state passing the standards of Major General Beresford.
[close]

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:51:07 pm »
Spoiler

Commissioned Officers.
Non Commissioned Officers.
Enlisted men
Colonel.

Lieutenant Colonel

Major

Captain

1st Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant
Col

LtCol

Maj

Capt

Lt

2Lt
Serjeant Major

Colour Serjeant

Serjeant

Corporal

Lance Corporal

Chosen Man
SM

CSjt

Sjt

Cpl

LCpl

ChM

Rifleman

Private

Rifleman Cadet

Recruit

Rfl

Pte

RCdt

Rct

25th of May 1809. On this date the 1/95th once again embarked for the Peninsula having returned 4 months prior after the disastrous first expedition which ended in the somewhat Pyrrhic victory at the Galician port of Corunna. Yet despite this expedition a large amount of the 1st battalion were 'Johnny Raws' with large amounts of men being sent to help form the newly created 3rd Battalion, in fact of the 10 captains who had fought in the 95th at Corunna only two would return for the long remainder of the Peninsula war, veterans exchanged for green men of the militia and old officers exchanged for new models. One such Johnny Raw was Private Robert Fairfoot who marched with Captain O'Hares 3rd company, as would be expected for a rifleman he had done his previous military experience and though it was only in the militia it was enough, just, for him to qualify for the Rifles. And though some of the grizzled veterans like Joseph Almond, whom had been in the regiment since it's conception in 1800, might think less of the new men who had not shared their struggles earlier that year Fairfoot would throughout the Battalion's service in the Peninsula prove an able hand, rising through the ranks at his own life threatening pace. He had however not always been the best man of the militia, an establishment in which discipline was overly paramount and the lash a common sight. He had in fact decamped 3 times from the Surrey militia, being locked up or flogged each time. But he was now keen to prove himself a good soldier, and it is men such as this that would become the backbone of the 1/95th throughout the five year campaign.

And so after a fitful eight day voyage the Battalion on the 3rd of July disembarked at Lisbon before taking a ride in shallow river boats up the Tagus to Vallada before starting their first march of the campaign to the town of Santarem. But though this sounds a pleasant campaign to start the Rifles had not been issued with tents nor sufficient food and so it was that men and officers alike spent the night cold, hungry and shivering under the stars. On reaching Santarem the officers and men finally found some food, and the wealthier officers their own pack horses, though all of this was paid for with their own coin thanks to the failure of the commissariat. Theoretically the men would be reimbursed for lack of food.
In pursuing the main British army, headed for the unforgettable battle of Talavera, the Brigades commander took it easy on the men given their time at sea with at most 16 miles at a time. This leniancy would not last forever with this Colonel Robert Crauford offering no respite to those who fell out of the line of march or dragged along at the rear. Crauford would constantly ride up and down the line with the slightest infraction causing him to launch in a terrific uproar at the targeted man in question. Though apparently he was something like a terrier, his actions quick, missing nothing and almost screaching at the men when angry, the greater his rage the squeakier his voice would become.

On the 29th of July the Light Brigade reached Talavera to see the grim consequences of that battle with one Rifleman saying 'The horrid sights were beyond anything I could have imagined. Thousands dead and dying in every direction....and, I am sorry to say, Spaniards butchering the wounded French at every opportunity, and stripping them naked, which gave admission to myriads of perniscious flies and the heat of the burning sun.'  And so here at Talavera the British army remained for two days in which they suffered further from the Spanish letting them down in their promise to provide the British army with supplies. Once again the Rifles went hungry.
It would turn out that the Brigades dash to catch up would be for nothing, they had covered 30 miles in just twenty four hours on atrocious roads which scarcely qualified beyond goat tracks. The Brigade had not caught up in time to fight the French and now would be turning back to Portugal to avoid the army being forced into starvation.
For a single fortnight the Rifles remained at Almaraz and with the commissary situation little improved found themselves scrounging food from all manner of locations creating odd dumplings called Dough Boys with the little grain they were supplied with. The first action of the Rifles however would occur at a small place called Barba Del Puerco on the river Agueda near Ciuda
[close]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:52:38 pm by James Grant »

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 11:51:14 pm »
Random stuff.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:58:26 pm by James Grant »

Offline Neon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:21:03 am »
Very nice, unfinished, threads. I hope someone will take up one of these names and ask to use one of these colourful threads :P

Offline Eazy-E

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: E
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 01:31:10 am »
Woah, nice stuff! It's clear you're a fan of light/rifles :D

Offline 1stNOG_IDF

• First Lieutenant
  • I will forever serve Israel, the Jewish Homeland.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stNOG_Overlord_IDF
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:42:50 am »
I..I would pay you to do one for me.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:26:46 am »
Haha I say, that's not a business I've considered before.

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:10:08 pm »
I love these! I have to admit, the 48th is exceptionally pretty. Not something I'd use myself, but set out in a style that I'd probably mimic for the 23rd.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 02:25:13 pm »
If you want all I'd have to do is change the text in the psd file, the work went into the layer style (I don't use spunned stuff anymore ;) ) so simply changing it would be little problem.

Offline Eazy-E

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 02:28:42 pm »
May I ask what the name of that kind of typewriter/stencil font is? It is damn sexy

I mean this:
Spoiler
[close]

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 02:32:41 pm »
One of my private ones ;) took me ages to find it. It'll take some convincing for me to unleash it on the community.

Offline Eazy-E

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 02:34:23 pm »
Will
this
[close]
convince you?

Offline Stunned Lime

• Major
  • Hella O's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »
Those are sexy James :3

Offline MrSt3fan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Col_MrSt3fan
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 04:59:29 pm »
Looking very good ! :D