Author Topic: Servers on Linux  (Read 902 times)

Offline Nettelbeck

• Private
  • AR_Nr1 Servermonkey and occasionally artilleryman
    • View Profile
    • SolSoCoGs Blog
  • Nick: Nettelbeck
  • Side: Neutral
Servers on Linux
« on: March 02, 2022, 08:19:13 am »
Hey,

I'm slightly hurt that I did not see Linux servers from the get go, as I thought Unity was this cool engine with a single click build option for Linux. Anyway, of course it is manageable to run it on Linux with some quirks, thanks for even providing server files though!

You need, as usual, to use wine.
But as it seems that the server won't run without opening a window, you also need to install xvfb-run.

And then you just start the server with "xvfb-run --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24:32' wine BCoF.exe -batchmode -nographics -server"
and voila, the server runs!

I did however notice a base cpu usage of 40% (of a single core on a 4Ghz Xeon) on start of an empty server, once map change occurred it went down to 9-10%. Not sure if that's normal or a problem generated by not running things on Windows. Ram usage is 4,7GB.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 08:22:22 am by Nettelbeck »
Joachim Nettelbeck (1738–1824), seaman, representative during occupation of Kolberg 1807

Offline Freestyler

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Freestyler
  • Side: Union
Re: Servers on Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 05:17:38 pm »
is just because no official linux support for bcof server
but yes with linux you have significant performance drops
and its bugy

Offline KingleyMarve

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Servers on Linux
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 01:13:17 pm »
Glad to see that you were able to manage to run the server on Linux with some tweaks. Regarding the CPU usage, it does seem a bit high for an empty server, but it's not uncommon for Windows applications running through Wine to use more resources than they would natively. However, as you mentioned, the usage went down significantly after the map change, which is a good sign. Thanks for sharing your solution with the community, and I hope that it helps others who may be trying to run servers on Linux. I would also recommend checking out https://tuxcare.com/extended-lifecycle-support/centos-7-extended-support/ for more useful info. It's a good source for any Linux user.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 06:18:54 pm by KingleyMarve »