Author Topic: Are light infantry a viable choice?  (Read 6598 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Are light infantry a viable choice?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 03:26:30 am »
Historically, Light Infantryman consisted of line infantry who were better than most at shooting. They were taught to march and move in wider order. Also, for almost every nations at the time, a Light Infantry company, maybe even two, would be attached to every regiment. So, they line/centre companies would work in accordance with their light company. I can only see in NW Light Infantry being the most effective when working with a line regiment. The line infantry would move to the front of the enemy, and take the bulk of the fire, and volley back, that way the light company can move to the flank and take out the enemy from their flank, as they did historically.

Offline Shortshorts

• Major General
  • I love memes
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 60th_Lt_Shortshorts
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 03:36:09 am »
Historically, Light Infantryman consisted of line infantry who were better than most at shooting. They were taught to march and move in wider order. Also, for almost every nations at the time, a Light Infantry company, maybe even two, would be attached to every regiment. So, they line/centre companies would work in accordance with their light company. I can only see in NW Light Infantry being the most effective when working with a line regiment. The line infantry would move to the front of the enemy, and take the bulk of the fire, and volley back, that way the light company can move to the flank and take out the enemy from their flank, as they did historically.
As I said in the OP this thread is only for arguing about their effectiveness and use in game.
If cav is not a factor then a regiment of riflemen is most likely going to be more effective in getting the all important instant unavoidable casualties that flanking manouvers are usually after. If cav is a factor they are going to get trounced, bayonets or not if they stray away from the "safety" of the group.

I am fully aware that all that is being discussed is very dependant on varying skill and general competence. Let's just assume that we are living in a wonderland where everyone is at least half decent.

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 04:56:31 am »
I don't see how light infantry is better at shooting than lines, I mean yes they have a bit more accuracy than the standard infantrymen but does it really make much of a difference? The only reason they can out match lines at range is because they can spread out and take less casualties. (1)Also a bayonet is hardly needed if you have a reliable line or two on your team, as a rifleman we usually scatter and run towards a line for protection whilst only taking a few casualties to cavalry if the line is willing to help you. And a bayonet? (2)How is that going to help you when your main objective is to stay close to your lines and support them as well as shooting. In the end the only reason which I think Light Infantry should be chosen is if you have a unreliable line that wont protect you from Cavalry.

1. Makes you dependent on other lines. Light Infantry can handle that by themselves, making reenforcements not necessary = more lines on flanks and centre etc.

2. Main objective is in the end to kill the enemys. Light infantry can work as flanking units and even as focused units (getting all the fire at them).

1. Light Infantry will still be destroyed by a cavalry regiment regardless of their bayonet. If you throw 16 cavalrymen at 16 Light Infantry in the end the most likely unit to win is the cavalry due to the fact that most light infantry regiments are not trained to deal with cavalry. Even 16 Foot guards would most likely suffer a defeat against 16 cavalrymen as well. I have seen this before, throw a regiment like the 7th Hussars or the 7e against a unprepared line and I can assure you that the lines will be destroyed. So what difference does it make? Rifles and Light Infantry will end up destroyed either way if they attempt to go in alone.

What are you on about?

2 Regiments of Equal experiance and training, the Light infantry would win, simple fact of De-horsing 2-3 before the enemy gets close enough to charge, then on the charge loosing due to the bayonetes.

The regiments that your cavalry are charging are probably just totally inept at the game, I have fought the 7th hussars on foot, kills 2-3 of them with the bayonete no problem (You may of seem me fighting with the drabant or 5th Brigade). So honestly whatever you are talking about must be against a really bad light infantry group, or a really bad line infantry group. Thus far after witnessing the 7th hussars have never seen them fully beat a cavalry regiment without withdrawing let alone a line by itself.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 01:24:43 pm »
Something that happened with my regiment against the 7th might be of notice in the last post. My 20 man line advanced in line formation towards the drabants on our forces flank and lured them out while the 7th came in and did the dirty work. We took out 3-4 in our initial volley but I doubt the 7th would have had much of a force left if they'd had to engage on their own but I also doubt my line would have had much left if we'd gone in without support. At the end of the day co-ordination is key regardless of the class you use.

Offline Shortshorts

• Major General
  • I love memes
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 60th_Lt_Shortshorts
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 05:47:23 pm »
I kind of feel that I should apologize for letting 9 months of collected hatred towards voltiguers spew out into an inebriated rant consisting largely of logical fallacies and general stupidity. I dun goofed, soz and so forth.

Level headed sentiment: Lights are fine in any situation where you have good reasons to believe that your team commanders consist of people without a sense of teamwork, the extra melee protection could very well prove useful.
I do still have some serious reservations about their use in a more competitive environment where all parts of a team are communicating effectively, like an army vs army line battle where you could expect a reasonable degree of competence.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 03:08:55 am »
Even competent teamwork has its limits, and 'no plan survives contact with the enemy'.

Musket-armed light infantry can engage almost any force on the field, with or without assistance, assuming that they are competent and are allowed to be nearly as independent as light infantry historically was. Rifle-armed light infantry is another matter. They can engage targets at a longer distance, but they also have to depend upon someone else, or upon specific formations (Two ranks facing the cavalry, anyone? I've used it to great effect.) in order to see off cavalry that may pose a hazard to the light troops.

In short, musket-armed troops can move farther away from their team, hold positions, and take part in charges. Rifle-armed troops are useful for long-range engagements, and covering their own troops against enemy lines, but have to remain closer to their team in case they are engaged in melee by.. in all honesty, anything that outnumbers or has a longer reach than them..

Most, if not all, of what I've said has been covered here, but I discovered this too late to make any real difference.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 01:39:59 pm »
Pick up a rifle as a light infantryman and you have a thing of wonder by the way.
He speaks the truth. Lights have the best shooting stats (skirmishers are equal with line, their rifle being their only ranged advantage), so giving rifles to a light infantry company would be deadly.

Offline dooomninja

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1brig_95th_Maj_dooomninja
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 02:23:37 pm »
Pick up a rifle as a light infantryman and you have a thing of wonder by the way.
He speaks the truth. Lights have the best shooting stats (skirmishers are equal with line, their rifle being their only ranged advantage), so giving rifles to a light infantry company would be deadly.
thats not exactly accurate
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1108.0

United Kingdom

Infantry
33rd Regiment of Foot
Ranker
1h Weapons: 50 wpf
Polearms (Bayonets): 130 wpf
Crossbows (Muskets): 150 wpf

Strength: 14
Agility: 14
Ironflesh: 3
Powerstrike: 3
Athletics: 3
[close]

51st (2nd Yorkshire West Riding) Regiment of Foot
Ranker
Polearms (Bayonets): 90 wpf (!)
Crossbows (Muskets): 206 wpf (!)

Ironflesh: 2 (!)
Powerstrike: 1 (!)
[close]

95th Regiment of Foot (Rifles)
Ranker

[close]
[close]

light infatry have the same stats as skerms the only difference is the weapons whereas line have lower crossbow but higher polearm
ಠ_ರೃ Quite!
2 most satisfying shots- a rider off a moving horse and officers who think they are safe :b

Offline Comando96

• First Sergeant
  • If you see my name somewhere, it's most likely me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Comando96
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 08:41:21 pm »
Light Infantries use in Line Battles is viable and testable.

I was part of a Light Infantry Regiment and it worked very well.

Though not as accurate as Rifles, Light Infantry can still have bayonets and... frankly Light Infantry without bayonets are pointless. You use them specifically for more accurate but with a bayonet.

Their effectiveness would be very large in any event that allows fire in the charge due to no accuracy penalty while moving, though my Regiment attended none that did and we would not test this (nor did we want to).

If you use them well, they can work. They are slightly less accurate skirms, who can however handle themselves in a fight better with the bayonets.

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 10:58:10 pm »
Anyone who believe Light Infantry are useless did not see the old 15e at their best. We were capable of ripping up 3 lines at a time through a blend of skirmisher and melee tactics.
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Graphics Work: Groupfighting Tournament | NWEC

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 11:50:55 pm »
Anyone who believe Light Infantry are useless did not see the old 15e at their best. We were capable of ripping up 3 lines at a time through a blend of skirmisher and melee tactics.

Just what I've been saying in my private debates with Peter.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 09:15:47 pm »
thats not exactly accurate
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1108.0

United Kingdom

Infantry
33rd Regiment of Foot
Ranker
Polearms (Bayonets): 130 wpf
Crossbows (Muskets): 150 wpf

Ironflesh: 3
Powerstrike: 3
[close]

51st (2nd Yorkshire West Riding) Regiment of Foot
Ranker

[close]

95th Regiment of Foot (Rifles)
Ranker

[close]
[close]

light infatry have the same stats as skerms the only difference is the weapons whereas line have lower crossbow but higher polearm

Yeah, I actually just noticed that earlier today, I guess I haven't been keeping up to date with the stats :O

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:46 pm »
light infantry is something I havent really seen done right in events. its varies from musket armed skirmishers to double rank lines with 3 man spacing.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Hugonaut

• Donator
  • He that cannot obey cannot command -B. Franklin
    • View Profile
    • 29th Worcestershire
  • Nick: 29th_Col_Hugonaut
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 09:59:26 am »
light infantry is something I havent really seen done right in events. its varies from musket armed skirmishers to double rank lines with 3 man spacing.
I'm with millander on that. No one has properly executed it(that i have seen) anywhere in NW. Although I don't think they are worthless they are just a happy medium between skirm and line. They shoot faster than Skirm and have more space than line. while being in the middle of the accuracy tree. Peronally i woudn't waist my time being a Light Infantry reg. But i think if done right it could be cool and maybe even more affective than skirms.

Line
+lots of people
+Bayonets
-no spacing
-most inaccurate

Light
+more people than skirmishers
+more accurate than Line
+Faster reload than Skirm
+bayonets
-less accurate than skirm
-less spacing than skirm

Skirmishers
+Hella accurate.
-no melee
-Long reloads

Happy medium.

Offline Draken193

• Captain
  • I like turtles
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Draken
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 11:08:00 pm »
I personally don´t fin light company as a skilled class . All you need for the light company is a good leader , every noob can hold a rifle and shoot  :)