The 24th North Carolina was initially mustered in as the 14th North Carolina Volunteers, commanded by Colonel William J. Clarke. Under this name the only notable action carried out by the regiment in 1861 was shadowing Rosecrans in John B. Floyd’s army. They mustered in as the 24th in May 1862, still under Clarke’s command. They were then attached to Lee’s army and followed his campaign first in the battle of White Oak Swamp, and participated in the last battle of the Seven Days’ campaign at Malvern Hill. Eventually they participated in the Maryland Campaign, taking part in the destruction of the Union attack on the West Woods near the Dunker Church, in this same action performing a charge to dislodge the union from behind a stone fence, doing so, then shortly after being driven back by Union Artillery from the Cornfield. After the Maryland Campaign, they took part at the battle of Fredericksburg on Marye’s Heights, behind the famous stone wall where Burnside’s army was shattered. From here until 1864, they were stationed alternately in North Carolina and Virginia, taking part in 1864 in a battle at Suffolk against a regiment of Colored Cavalry, who were driven off, and those who were unhorsed fought to the last man, and after this, took part in the recapture of Plymouth, N.C. From the 10th of May onwards, they rejoined Lee’s army at Petersburg, taking up positions at Drewry’s Bluff. Throughout the Petersburg Campaign, they took part in the trench warfare actions of this brutal and bloody campaign, feeling the multitudes of tragedies that would echo the future First World War to come, being worn down until the capture of their whole regiment and its surrender at Sailor’s Creek, with only a handful surrendering at Appamatox.