Author Topic: Meeting the guys at Anvil Game Studios  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Pickle

• Major
  • Old-timer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SoaR-Pickle
  • Side: Union
Meeting the guys at Anvil Game Studios
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:31:41 pm »
If this would be better somewhere else please move it or ask me to move it.

My post on AGS forums: http://www.holdfastgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=877.0

The Holdfast: Nations at War Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/XsHBUNs

Let me start out by saying that the guys at Anvil Game Studios are some of the nicest dudes ever.

So my friend(some of you may know him as Mustang) and I are traveling around Europe and knew we would be in Malta. We decided to message AGS on Facebook asking if it would be possible to meet up and ask a couple questions. They responded fairly quickly and Andrew(Refleax) agreed to meet us for lunch near their headquarters. After introductions, he took us to a little restaurant down the street where we had Maltese food and beers. While we ate and drank I berated him with questions and Andrew answered all of them fully. He also gave us extensive explanations behind the reasoning of his decisions.

Refleax and everyone else at AGS really stressed how important feedback from the community was to them. They really want to make the best game they can and they want to make a game that community will enjoy as well as themselves.

Refleax also stated many times that they will keep working hard to improve the game after the initial Early Release. They are all working tirelessly to get to an acceptable point for Early Release within 2017, which is the goal they have set for themselves and I believe will achieve. They all quit their jobs and are using their life savings to fund Holdfast. They are not taking donations or having a publisher. All their time and energy is going into this game so they want to keep working on it and improving it. It is going to be an ongoing project.

He and the rest of the gang were nothing but friendly to us and were very hospitable. After lunch Andrew invited us back to his apartment to take a look at Holdfast. We were introduced to Julian and Andreas and they showed us their setup and workspace. Mustang and I got to test out the infantry on a groupfighting map where we played with the melee and shooting. In my belief, Holdfast is different from NW in a unique way. They coded it from the ground up and are using Unity since it's a versatile engine and they will be adding things like cavalry after the game is out on Early Access. We also got to play a ship battle which was extremely fun. Holdfast’s concepts was originally intended to be naval focused but since the announcement they have shifted their focus on the land based content due to the feedback they received. They are very excited to see organized play take place on both the ships and on land.

I would like to thank Andrew, Julian, and Andreas again for meeting us and showing us their amazing game. You guys rock.

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting the guys at Anvil Game Studios
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 11:23:32 pm »
That's actually pretty awesome assuming it's true.

Offline Pickle

• Major
  • Old-timer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 12:00:22 am »
Refleax confirms it on the Discord and my AGS thread

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 12:34:13 am »
why the fuck are they in malta

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Knightmare

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 12:43:42 am »
they live there dafuq

Offline Phillyz

• Colonel
  • Art & Graphics Person.
    • View Profile
    • Neptune Designs
  • Nick: Philly
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 12:56:45 am »
Well then..

Offline Graf_Maximus

• Second Lieutenant
  • Major General of 2y Cavalry-Infantry Brigade
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Graf-Maximus
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 11:15:45 am »

Maybe they are secret knights?

Offline Peppers

• Colonel
  • Father of North American Cavalry
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pepper
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 01:58:18 pm »
This begs the question with all these new "linebattle" games such at holdfast, wigs and torries, War of rights, and the thing that will never come out BCOF is will it support a minimum of 200 players in a server? With how elaborate some of the graphics are and the sort of engines some are using I'm very doubtful and that will be the downfall of some of these games in my opinion.  ;)

Offline Graf_Maximus

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 09:19:39 pm »
The problem of holdfast that developers cant answer for our questions.For example i had questions,i added developer in steam  and asked him,he said me to wait him for 3 hours, i said okay.After 3 hours he said that he cant talk and said me where i need to write my questions,and you know what? For my questions nobody answer,only the midnight xD who not developer.So if i want to hear anything from them i need to go to malta xD ?Its the reason why i think about war of rights better than holdfast (i love you Hinkel, you are the best <3 )

Offline PapaBean

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just in case I don’t see ya…
    • View Profile
  • Nick: We out
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 09:26:04 pm »

How dare you doubt Pickle....

Offline Pickle

• Major
  • Old-timer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 09:52:15 pm »
The problem of holdfast that developers cant answer for our questions.For example i had questions,i added developer in steam  and asked him,he said me to wait him for 3 hours, i said okay.After 3 hours he said that he cant talk and said me where i need to write my questions,and you know what? For my questions nobody answer,only the midnight xD who not developer.So if i want to hear anything from them i need to go to malta xD ?Its the reason why i think about war of rights better than holdfast (i love you Hinkel, you are the best <3 )
I urge you and everyone else to join the Discord which I have linked in the OP. Refleax is quite good about answering every question he has the answer to.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 09:58:06 pm »
What's the drinking age in Malta? You're not old enough to drink anywhere in America (assuming you were drinking alcohol)

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Pickle

• Major
  • Old-timer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 10:11:13 pm »
What's the drinking age in Malta? You're not old enough to drink anywhere in America (assuming you were drinking alcohol)
The majority of Europe's drinking age is 18 which includes Malta. There is a very tasty Maltese lager called Cisk which we drank

Offline Graf_Maximus

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 10:20:05 pm »
I urge you and everyone else to join the Discord which I have linked in the OP. Refleax is quite good about answering every question he has the answer to.

I dont want to download the programm which i will not use.Its stupid when they created on forum SPECIAL TOPIC for questions but not answered for them.If they dont care about us,why i need to care about installing Discord?

Offline Pickle

• Major
  • Old-timer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 10:30:43 pm »

I dont want to download the programm which i will not use.Its stupid when they created on forum SPECIAL TOPIC for questions but not answered for them.If they dont care about us,why i need to care about installing Discord?
I assure you they do care about us and our feedback and that is why they have implemented so many features and fixes that were requested by the community. They are working with all of us to create a game we will all enjoy.

Maybe when you asked your question they just didn't have the answer to it since a lot of things have been subject to change by feedback from the community.

I hope I have helped in some way.