Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 520229 times)

Offline Cazasar

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Dutch, German & French Elections Thread, or The General Political Thread
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2017, 08:07:48 am »
I agree on the EU thing with Furrnox because im German :D

Besides that, saying that Trump meant Terror Attacks specifically is a bit....odd.

"Look at Germany, look what's happening, or what happend last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this. Sweden. They took in large numbers. They're having problems like they never thought possible. You look at what's happening in Brussels. You look at what's happening all over the world. Take a look at Nice. Take a look at Paris."

I mean call me retarded but to me it just sounds like he comments on the increased crime rate and the constant raping cases happening in sweden.
CAUTION: INTERACTIVE SCREENSHOTS NOT MEANT FOR MEDIUM EYES
Cazasar interacting with the boys
[close]
me and cazasar interacting
[close]

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2017, 08:52:34 am »
I agree on the EU thing with Furrnox because im German :D

Besides that, saying that Trump meant Terror Attacks specifically is a bit....odd.

"Look at Germany, look what's happening, or what happend last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this. Sweden. They took in large numbers. They're having problems like they never thought possible. You look at what's happening in Brussels. You look at what's happening all over the world. Take a look at Nice. Take a look at Paris."

I mean call me retarded but to me it just sounds like he comments on the increased crime rate and the constant raping cases happening in sweden.

How dare you be reasonable you nazi

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2017, 03:41:56 pm »
Except it wasn't a terrorist attack and it wasn't on friday.

"Let's talk about Swedish issues so we can all forget that our president is an idiot" - American People

Hahaha, God forbid anyone critize your beloved Trump. I think by even trying to defend some of Trumps worst choices you're really just showing us to what extent you'll blindly defend your failing project.
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2017, 04:58:34 pm »
Except it wasn't a terrorist attack and it wasn't on friday.

"Let's talk about Swedish issues so we can all forget that our president is an idiot" - American People
God forbid anyone critize your beloved EU. I think by even trying to defend some of the EU's worst choices of 2016 you're really just showing us to what extent you'll blindly defend your failing project.
*something something I pretend to be sitting on the fence so nobody can insult me*

Nice and relevant, you absolute sperg.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:31:12 pm by GovernorRickPerry »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2017, 05:41:03 pm »
I think there's a strong element of truth in this article so far as the cultural reasons go to explain the rise of populism (even if it is through an anti-Trump lens):
https://www.wsj.com/articles/do-we-still-want-the-west-1487635725

Doesn't deal with the social or economic causes of course but those have already got a lot of airtime (globalisation, identity politics, etc). I still think Trump is a fool who doesn't understand the complexities of the modern world (though granted he has identified a lot of what's going wrong) but there's no denying that he pulled off an incredible win in November. He beat not one but both major US political dynasties, was massively outspent by Clinton and also by Bush (money is usually the deciding factor in US elections), and had the vast bulk of the media establishment against him.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2017, 08:25:49 pm »
I think that saying Trump is fool is just wrong.

Reality is not a Forrest Gump movie. You don't just blunder your way into becoming a billionaire. You don't just blunder your way into becoming president of the United States in a landslide victory.

I think there is a key difference between Trump the persona and Trump the person, and I think that is where Trump's brilliance shows. If you look less at what he says and more at why he says it, you begin to see that. For example, this thing with Sweden and all that. Did something actually really happen in Sweden last night? Not really. But it causes controversy and it brings attention to the issue. He wants that spotlight on Sweden, as it is a great case as to why this travel ban (which he is currently rewriting) is a good thing and he has succeeded in doing that as so many people knee jerked like "REEEE NOTHING HAPPENED IN SWEDEN REEEEEEEE".

Really, when you think about it, alot of the "outrage" and "controversy" about Trump really ends up helping him, and I think that is completely intentional on Trump's part.

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2017, 08:54:34 pm »

Reality is not a Forrest Gump movie. You don't just blunder your way into becoming a billionaire. You don't just blunder your way into becoming president of the United States in a landslide victory.

I think there is a key difference between Trump the persona and Trump the person, and I think that is where Trump's brilliance shows. If you look less at what he says and more at why he says it, you begin to see that. For example, this thing with Sweden and all that. Did something actually really happen in Sweden last night? Not really. But it causes controversy and it brings attention to the issue. He wants that spotlight on Sweden, as it is a great case as to why this travel ban (which he is currently rewriting) is a good thing and he has succeeded in doing that as so many people knee jerked like "REEEE NOTHING HAPPENED IN SWEDEN REEEEEEEE".

Really, when you think about it, a lot of the "outrage" and "controversy" about Trump really ends up helping him, and I think that is completely intentional on Trump's part.
I see where you're coming from. It seems like he's picking most of his cabinet members based off their loyalty or ideological alignment rather then experience or knowledge on their jurisdiction. That would show hes smarter then what people say. I don't think he'll be an effective President as in he makes the country better long term, I think he'll leave a total mess like Bush did but people will say hes doing a great job while hes in office.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2017, 09:10:20 pm »

Really, when you think about it, a lot of the "outrage" and "controversy" about Trump really ends up helping him, and I think that is completely intentional on Trump's part.
I see where you're coming from. It seems like he's picking most of his cabinet members based off their loyalty or ideological alignment rather then experience or knowledge on their jurisdiction. That would show hes smarter then what people say. I don't think he'll be an effective President as in he makes the country better long term, I think he'll leave a total mess like Bush did but people will say hes doing a great job while hes in office.

Why do you think that?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2017, 09:37:23 pm »
The EU could hardly be called a failed project. In terms of international politcs, it's still taking its baby steps. These things take time to progress. Surely, it's rotten as it is now, but that doesn't mean it can't improve.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2017, 09:42:00 pm »
Used to think Trump was playing a very smart game, but not so much anymore. I think he got lucky, came in at the right time and faced a dreadful opponent. Had it been in 2008 or 2012 he would have lost because the economic conditions conducive to Trump's rise just weren't there. I mean he's kinda smart but he's also very ignorant about how the world works-pulling out of TPP was a massive gift to China and it was just plain wrong to say that America's allies in Asia and the Pacific gave nothing back in return for stationing US troops. I think the whole 'Trump says something not fully accurate and shifts national attention' or 'Trump says something controversial on Twitter to distract the media' is largely unintentional (though undoubtedly his inner team have caught onto the latter and started doing it deliberately).

Trump's not that great a businessman-bankrupt four times, beaten by the stock market (I shit you not he'd have been far wealthier by just putting his money into a fund: http://fortune.com/2015/08/20/donald-trump-index-funds/), got his start off his dad, and so on.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2017, 10:11:48 pm »

that was not a landslide victory.  Not even close to it.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2017, 10:22:28 pm »

Yea true, not even for the electoral college given its history
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2017, 02:37:33 am »

Yea true, not even for the electoral college given its history
Spoiler
[close]

Yea, there were way larger victories in terms of point differences in the EC, or in the popular vote.  Even in recent history.  The EC victory for trump wasn't that large, and a few of the states that put him over were very very very close. 

and for arguments sake, if you believe in the millions of illegal votes, that would still only possibly give him the popular vote as well by a little.  nothing about it was a landslide victory. 

You would need a massive EC difference, with the states leaning that normally lean to one party being decisively in their favor, and the swing states(with said states being clearly going to one party, not 51-49 or along those lines) going heavily to one party.  Even add in a few of the opposite parties reliable(very red or blue) states switching.  You would also need a very large population difference going for one candidate to be able to say it was a landslide.   

I am guessing Apoc said it to trigger someone, bait someone(yay me) or just wants to make trumps victory sound greater than it was for one reason or another.  none of which are really necessary.  Unless he believes any victory, however small is a landslide, which makes nearly every election a landslide, which means none of them really were.   
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2017, 02:55:12 am »
I am guessing Apoc said it to trigger someone, bait someone(yay me) or just wants to make trumps victory sound greater than it was for one reason or another.  none of which are really necessary.  Unless he believes any victory, however small is a landslide, which makes nearly every election a landslide, which means none of them really were.   

Trump's win wasn't a landslide but it was more impressive than just about every other US election in modern history, certainly far bigger than Obama's wins in 2012 and 2008. This was a David vs Goliath contest-Trump had just about every disadvantage going yet still came out on top and proved everyone wrong in the process. I think it was the first time ever that the candidate who spent less actually won, and given the US is a plutocracy that's the most significant point to take away.

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2017, 03:16:50 am »

Trump's win wasn't a landslide but it was more impressive than just about every other US election in modern history, certainly far bigger than Obama's wins in 2012 and 2008. This was a David vs Goliath contest-Trump had just about every disadvantage going yet still came out on top and proved everyone wrong in the process. I think it was the first time ever that the candidate who spent less actually won, and given the US is a plutocracy that's the most significant point to take away.
Numbers wise it wasn't a landslide. However, predictions/polling wise it was, solely because of the probabilities before the election.
When you have a 1 percent chance of winning the day of and win the EC by that wide of a margin, I call that a landslide, even though a real "landslide" is more like Reagan - Mondale.

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)