Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 524821 times)

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Dutch, German & French Elections Thread, or The General Political Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2017, 02:05:39 pm »
In my eyes, the rise of right wing populism is based on xenophobia, bigotry and racism. My response is not really a knee jerk reaction, its literally trump in the US, UKIP and others with Brexit and now other european nations. The central theme seems to be to keep out foreigners...

You can say that it's a response to the left and in some ways that may be true but the more likely case is that some folks became scared of people who look different.

I think global events have shifted people's political views, not that people just woke up one day thinking "I feel like being a racist today!" ;)

Ironically it's the liberal governments that started the wars that set all the terrorism in motion, and said terrorism helped make more centralist voters lean right. Checkmate, liberals.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:11:18 pm by GovernorRickPerry »

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2017, 03:13:55 pm »
The current political environement and the upcoming elections in my country and some others have just shown how incredibly divided we all are. If one shows support for the left they are made out for communist, SJW or angsty teenager. If one shows support for the right, they are made out to be a racist, bigot and douchebag. Our entire society has now boiled down to an 'us vs them' mentality. And both the left and right are very much guilty of this. It's gonna be an interesting election year, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:17:31 pm by joer5835 »
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2017, 03:36:23 pm »
I don't really agree with that notion. There has always been a 'left=commies' and 'right=racist' mentality, which leads to the 'us-versus-them' feeling in politics, but this is relatively on a pretty harmless scale. Politics will always divide us and it isn't, and shouldn't, anything to worry about.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2017, 04:27:28 pm »
I remember there were bombings and kidnappings and shootings happening, just 40 years ago in Germany, because of Political "left vs. right" shit.
So, I am guessing it has calmed down a lot since then.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2017, 04:51:07 pm »
I remember there were bombings and kidnappings and shootings happening, just 40 years ago in Germany, because of Political "left vs. right" shit.

Eh, how old are you?

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2017, 05:38:15 pm »
Maybe if you started using rational thought in response to knee jerk emotional reaction you'd have more success bringing people to your cause, lol.
The rise of right wing populism is due to the rise of the social democratic left, and it's perceived power in society.
In my eyes, the rise of right wing populism is based on xenophobia, bigotry and racism. My response is not really a knee jerk reaction, its literally trump in the US, UKIP and others with Brexit and now other european nations. The central theme seems to be to keep out foreigners...

You can say that it's a response to the left and in some ways that may be true but the more likely case is that some folks became scared of people who look different.

I wonder why Merkel hates Germany so much
Maybe because Germany hates Germany.
It almost seems too easy for leftists to blame racism and bigotry to detract from their own failings.
Whose failings exactly? Mine? That of the neo-liberal establishment before trump? SJWs? I'm not a neo-liberal and i don't really identify much with the cause of identity politics (ie: SJWs).

Hold on there, you just activated my trap card, "Check yourself before you rek yourself". When an opponent tries to distance themselves from identity politics, remind them that they blamed the rise of the populist right on racism and xenophobia, which is basically identity politics.

It also allows me to draw 2 more cards.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:40:03 pm by AP0CALYPS3 »

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2017, 05:51:36 pm »
I don't really agree with that notion. There has always been a 'left=commies' and 'right=racist' mentality, which leads to the 'us-versus-them' feeling in politics, but this is relatively on a pretty harmless scale. Politics will always divide us and it isn't, and shouldn't, anything to worry about.

Yeah it's only these divisions that have led to some of the bloodiest events in history. Nothing to worry about really.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2017, 06:00:19 pm »

Eh, how old are you?

What role does that play?
All I am saying is, that the political environment is a lot calmer now than it used to be...

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2017, 06:02:27 pm »
What a devastating trap card activation from Apoc

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2017, 06:03:44 pm »

Eh, how old are you?

All I am saying is, that the political environment is a lot calmer now than it used to be...

He was more referring to the "I remember" and "JUST 40 years ago"

Almost sounds like you were there or something.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2017, 06:10:03 pm »
What a devastating trap card activation from Apoc

What's funny is the commies don't seem to understand the reason the worker's revolution isn't coming is because they are too busy calling the proletariat racist and xenophobic.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2017, 06:20:26 pm »

Eh, how old are you?

You said you remembered stuff from 40 years ago, didn't think you were that old is all!

Latest polls coming out from Germany show big SPD gains against Merkel-not at all guaranteed she'll remain Chancellor.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2017, 06:24:06 pm »
Except the SPD doesn't have a candidate yet. So they would vote for Merkel, even tho she is in a different Party.

Offline Limith

• First Sergeant
  • burr
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Yes.
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2017, 06:27:20 pm »
Except the SPD doesn't have a candidate yet. So they would vote for Merkel, even tho she is in a different Party.
hasn't schulz become the official candidate recently? ???
This wasn’t easy for me to write  . But I apologyse to Price Gi and 18e for my inappropriate behavior.  I’m really sorry I know you will eventually forget the ungrateful things that I said

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2017, 06:43:42 pm »
Jesus christ, seems Fillon is close to having his own little scandal surrounding him. This is gonna be a rocky year.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness