Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 525078 times)

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread
« Reply #4815 on: January 28, 2019, 08:05:17 pm »
I don't believe any progressive government in Europe (all of the west) would ever DREAM about implementing conscription.

We just reimplemented it like 2-3 years ago, due to lack of people applying for the military.
But it's very limited conscription though.

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4816 on: January 28, 2019, 09:07:12 pm »
If I wanted guaranteed PTSD that occurs from foreign intervention, I'd sign up for the Peace Corps.

Offline Big Pete

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: January 29, 2019, 01:26:44 am »
As I said, the majority is there to support a majority who do the fighting, of which most do not die.
?

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4818 on: January 29, 2019, 08:18:47 am »
I believe he meant a majority are there to support the minority who do the fighting (logistics and such).
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #4819 on: January 29, 2019, 08:28:55 am »
I believe he meant a majority are there to support the minority who do the fighting (logistics and such).

Yes, exactly this.

As I mentioned before, the ratio is about 1:8 nowadays I think.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Big Pete

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: January 29, 2019, 11:46:35 am »

Yes, exactly this.

So you are saying that if there was a total war between let's say Germany and France those 8 out of 9 still wouldn't do the fighting?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: January 29, 2019, 12:49:27 pm »

Yes, exactly this.

So you are saying that if there was a total war between let's say Germany and France those 8 out of 9 still wouldn't do the fighting?

Not exactly, there still would be some logistics units that'd come under fire. But yes, in general there's 8 out of 9 people who generally wouldn't be fighting.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Big Pete

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: January 29, 2019, 01:07:48 pm »

Yes, exactly this.

Not exactly, there still would be some logistics units that'd come under fire. But yes, in general there's 8 out of 9 people who generally wouldn't be fighting.
So Netherlands with 25k military would have 2,8k people fighting.     

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: January 29, 2019, 02:14:15 pm »
So Netherlands with 25k military would have 2,8k people fighting.     
Not 25k in military. Our ministry of defence is 52.000 ith 42.000 military. I really don't know where your numbers are coming from mate.
Also I was talking in-theatre. As I said there will be huge differences in the different operational commands.

For example

Out of 18000 people in the land component, we have 7 battalions of active combat unit, so ~4200 fighting units.
In the airforce the numbers are much different. There are about 7000 people in the Dutch Air Force but only a couple of hundred are pilots, meaning combat.

Offline Big Pete

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: January 29, 2019, 02:37:35 pm »
So they are not really military, might as well work in any other administration.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4825 on: January 29, 2019, 02:41:31 pm »
Lmao, video footage has emerged of a shirtless Bernie Sanders singing Soviet propaganda songs with a group of Russians.
https://twitter.com/TopRopeTravis/status/1089909214213038081?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: January 29, 2019, 02:41:54 pm »
It depends on what you define as combat, though. You can use an incredibly broad definition ('Anyone who is in an active combat zone', or even 'Anyone carrying or managing a weapon') or a very narrow one ('Anyone who can be expected under normal circumstances to come under direct fire'). But even that leaves a large grey area.
If (I'm just talking layman terms here) you're an engineer, your job is not to fight people but to support those who do. But a combat engineer is still quite likely to come indirect or even direct fire, despite fighting not being their primary job. But imagine being in a large-caliber artillery unit. The changes of you coming under direct fire are small, but you are, unlike the engineer, actively trying to kill people. When does your supporting become fighting, and when does your fighting become supporting?

Lmao, video footage has emerged of a shirtless Bernie Sanders singing Soviet propaganda songs with a group of Russians.
https://twitter.com/TopRopeTravis/status/1089909214213038081?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And the clear relevancy of this video is...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:45:44 pm by Duuring »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4827 on: January 29, 2019, 02:43:24 pm »
Just because your task is not to fight, does not mean that you are not part of the military.J

If there were only frontline troops, where would they get their food, water, ammo, information etc. ? Who would guard the military bases at home?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:44:56 pm by Olafson »

Offline Big Pete

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: January 29, 2019, 03:09:38 pm »
My point is that he was saying that majority of military is there for logistics when it quite clear i was talking about part of the military that is there to do the fighting. And there is quite simple definition of what combat is, everyone that is there with purpose of killing others or destroying enemy equipment/supplies while its possible to hurt personel in the process.

Just because your task is not to fight, does not mean that you are not part of the military.J

If there were only frontline troops, where would they get their food, water, ammo, information etc. ? Who would guard the military bases at home?
Other soldiers would do it that are equally cappable of fighting on a front line? And they would probably have to fight since supply routes would be attacked and military bases as well?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 03:22:00 pm by Big Pete »

Offline Big Pete

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: January 29, 2019, 03:16:25 pm »
Ah clear proof he is a evil Soviet Communist that would prepare the ground for the undead Red Army under the command of undead Stalin to invade USA and eventually whole world.

Russian = Bad
Communist = Bad