Author Topic: Orchestra arrangement - The Adventures of Tintin  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
  • Side: Neutral
Orchestra arrangement - The Adventures of Tintin
« on: January 08, 2017, 11:54:06 pm »
Hey lads! :) Ever since I started senior high school, I've gotten into arranging pieces for orchestra. I chose the music alignment for my school, and so you get this very very nice music program called Sibelius 7 where you can basically make anything you want, from small piano pieces to full orchestra compositions and listen to the playback!

So 2 weeks ago I made this orchestra arrangement from the series called "The Adventures of Tintin". So I would like to ask for a favor of you guys. I've posted a google drive link down below where you can listen to the arrangement and also look at the sheet music (or notes/whatever :P) while listening. :D

Feedback would be heavily appreciated!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_dENms0J4KAelMtWVdFRUdSR2s

This thread will also be open for discussion about anything related to music and instruments! ;D I personally play the snare drum in a marching band as well as the piano.

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Orchestra arrangement - The Adventures of Tintin
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 12:04:43 am »
It's really good :O Sounds like something you'd expect from Banjo Kazooie or a 2000's Game. Honestly it's fantastic  ;D

Make more! Maybe even try to make an original piece or a potpourri of different songs/ song types?

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:07:50 am »
It's really good :O Sounds like something you'd expect from Banjo Kazooie or a 2000's Game. Honestly it's fantastic  ;D

Make more! Maybe even try to make an original piece or a potpourri of different songs/ song types?
Cheers, lad! I'm glad you like it. And sure, I'm all open for suggestions!

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 01:59:28 pm »
It's quite good.

However, I personally think you should make part E more interesting and diverse by changing it into a more imitative part. In this part you do not use the full potential of an orchestra as you sometimes have half of your orchestra playing exactly the same drum-like theme. If played in reallife this drum-like theme would totally drown the more important melody.
I understand that the mentioned drum-like theme is very important for the piece, but you could give some of these instruments imitatives in connection with the more melody-carrying instruments of the orchestra. You wouldn't need to change the drum-motive at all, but could always give one of the brass/woodwind-parts playing the drum-theme at the time an imitative score beginning at measure 37 (I do not really know how to express my thoughts in English right now, I hope you understand what I mean).
You are currently using each instrument as one part without actually splitting them up into their own parts. However, remember that each orchestra has multiple people playing the same instrument - so you can have these people palying different melodies. You should really change how you use these people! Otherwise you do not use the orchestra at all but have a rather piano-styled arrangement that could be played with two people per instrument.

But it's good, I really like the theme!  :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:09:18 pm by Ted »
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 02:16:26 pm »
Yup. It's fairly basic. Woodwind covers the base of the comp while other sections fill it up. Each part has their own stem going from soprano to bass whenever it's suposed to get more fill.

You can't make too many unique stems or it'll sound weird and it'll get harder to play to get the harmony in. But I get what you mean, it's laid out a lot like a piano arrangement. Thank you for the criticism, Ted. It's the ultimate way for me to improve! :D

(I might have misunderstood what you meant, cause everything I work with when it comes to music is written in Swedish, and for you in German or whatever, but I think I get the main point.)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 08:45:55 pm »
Reminds me of RuneScape background music
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 09:33:19 pm »
Reminds me of RuneScape background music
Hehehehe. ;D