Author Topic: US Politics thread  (Read 61413 times)

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
  • Side: Neutral
Re: US Politics thread
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2016, 10:36:04 pm »
My point is that you either should have a centralized government that governs all of the US, or have it split enough to actually matter. Right now it is both at the same time, which just does not make any sense.

But why

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2016, 11:44:29 pm »
I do hope this post doesn't get deleted like every single post containing this video has in the past:

Spoiler
[close]

I'm sure all you political scientists will enjoy it  :)

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2016, 02:44:46 am »
honest all the US needs to do is get itself one of the most highest educated populations on the world

Offline csderp

• Sergeant Major
  • serenity now
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_ColFo_CSDrep
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2016, 03:22:57 am »
Until we enact strict voter ID laws at the federal level, America can never go on popular vote. Who knows how many illegals voted this time around, but the number that's being thrown around is 3 million. 3 million, across every state that doesn't have voter ID laws, is enough to make "someone" win the popular vote without winning the EC (most solid blue states are states without voter ID, many of which contain high amounts of illegal immigrants).

Even with that, I would still want to keep the electoral college simply due to the fact that mob rule is great until you're no longer part of the mob. We would have had 4 straight Dem presidencies if it weren't for the EC keeping the executive branch in flux.

The founding fathers were geniuses to be honest.
Rock the casbah

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2016, 03:45:02 am »
Honestly for the most part, the EC has served us well thus far. It's only mistake was Bush, and it just saved us from Hillary.

Why fix what ain't broken?

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2016, 03:46:54 am »
Most of the time the winner of the electoral college also wins the popular vote. There have only been 4 times in history where the winner lost the popular vote
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2016, 04:11:58 am »
Yes, most of the time. But not all the time.

There is a 7% failure rate. Meaning that the person that got fewer votes actually ends up being elected. The game is being won by the looser. It makes no sense.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:13:59 am by Olafson »

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2016, 05:18:35 am »

There is a 7% failure rate. Meaning that the person that got fewer votes actually ends up being elected. The game is being won by the looser. It makes no sense.

It's not a 7% failure rate.

You are defining the game as a direct democracy, its not.

You don't "lose" when you win the presidency

Its about who the states are voting for. The States chose trump. Simple as that.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2016, 05:29:24 am »
Apoc has a 100% failure rate in duel tournaments.

Not sure about Apoc, but I do for sure.

Its about who the states are voting for. The States chose trump. Simple as that.

I know it is not. It is not a direct failure obviously. But they get fewer votes yet still win. Something is wrong there. It has happened 4 times in the history of the US, which makes for a 7% failure rate.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2016, 05:29:39 am »
Apoc has a 100% failure rate in duel tournaments.

Tbh I really don't care much for all your instigation, and I don't report you for it. But when you bring it here, I will report you for it.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2016, 05:32:46 am »

I know it is not. It is not a direct failure obviously. But they get fewer votes yet still win. Something is wrong there. It has happened 4 times in the history of the US, which makes for a 7% failure rate.

I understand what you mean, but a failure rate implies it's doing something it was not designed to do. It is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

Besides, with the EU having so many non-elected officials I think the US having a small "failure rate" when the popular vote gets REALLY close is excusable in the western world.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2016, 06:36:07 am »

I understand what you mean, but a failure rate implies it's doing something it was not designed to do. It is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

Besides, with the EU having so many non-elected officials I think the US having a small "failure rate" when the popular vote gets REALLY close is excusable in the western world.

Fair point, can't say anything against that.

Offline csderp

• Sergeant Major
  • serenity now
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_ColFo_CSDrep
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2016, 08:41:01 am »
I've been constantly reminded of this failure rate meme ever since those CGP grey videos on the EC became relevant again. Thank you for taking the wheel olaf-kun :3~~
Rock the casbah

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2016, 05:25:36 pm »
How does it 'work'? Does it elect the person most Americans want? No. Does it elect the person who wins a majority of the states? No. Does it force candidates to give attention to not just the great cities but to the entire country? No. Hell, no. The USA elects every single position in the legislative, executive or juridicary branches on every level of government by majority vote, except the presidency - then, suddenly, argueing that the most important position should also be elected by the majority becomes ridicious.

Please, enlighten me on how the Electoral College 'works', apart from that it happened to elect your favorite candidate this time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:28:06 pm by Duuring »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2016, 05:31:10 pm »
Well it works as it is intended to.
I am not saying that it makes sense. I think it should do a better job at representing the people.