Author Topic: BoP: Napoleonic Wars (Out-of-character Thread) [Live]  (Read 71349 times)

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: BoP: Napoleonic Wars (Out-of-character Thread) [Reservations Open]
« Reply #315 on: September 24, 2016, 10:55:08 pm »
I'd want to be a nation where I can stay neutral so I can learn the basics and shit

Offline Glenn

• Lieutenant General
  • 84th [NA] / 12th [EU]
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Glenn
  • Side: Union
« Reply #316 on: September 24, 2016, 11:43:46 pm »
I'd want to be a nation where I can stay neutral so I can learn the basics and shit

somebody give him Mexico
click here to join the 84th

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #317 on: September 24, 2016, 11:51:06 pm »
He could be the United States, but really all he'd do is be a useless ghost posting and not having an actual impact on the game. Even if the War of 1812 happened, since everything would just be happening off the map with no real input. More of a spectator really.

There's also Morocco. But you know, Morocco.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #318 on: September 24, 2016, 11:57:26 pm »
He could be the United States, but really all he'd do is be a useless ghost posting and not having an actual impact on the game. Even if the War of 1812 happened, since everything would just be happening off the map with no real input. More of a spectator really.

morocco had a war with the uS
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 24, 2016, 11:58:56 pm »

morocco had a war with the uS
The Barbary States had a war with the US, Morocco was the first nation to recognize America as a country. They're also the nation with the only unbroken friendship with America, no wars or anything between them.

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #320 on: September 25, 2016, 12:09:47 am »
Is it time to make America great again?

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorWarbandHD
« Reply #321 on: September 25, 2016, 06:13:50 am »
Is it time to make America great again?
It is time to make America great. Not again. To mame it for the first time!
The Dankest of Memes, start in the simplest of words. Wombo combo.

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 25, 2016, 04:33:56 pm »
Changed dice value to a D-30. That should make things more pitched.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 25, 2016, 05:31:25 pm »
Changed dice value to a D-30. That should make things more pitched.
rip napoleons. Opness
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)

Offline BabyJesus

• General
    • View Profile
Re: BoP: Napoleonic Wars (Out-of-character Thread) [Live]
« Reply #324 on: September 25, 2016, 06:04:14 pm »
It's always quiet before death

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 25, 2016, 06:07:48 pm »
RIP France.

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
  • One, who prefer to be Comrade that Human Resource
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 25, 2016, 06:09:05 pm »
As we're already talking about dices and battle rules. I want to bring here something you've explained to me in PW, as it still seems to me strange I'd like others to express their opinions.
According to your equation, result of dice roll shows percent of troops player loses after battle. And that's fine. But it means, that if one player uses, for example 100k troops, while the other only 10k and they both get, lets say, 15 on the dice, then first player looses 15k men, while the other only 1,5k. It means, that having more troops is disadvantage in the battle, as you may lose much more units in single battle. And, a bit hypothetically of course, it would be wiser to send 1 man to the battle and keep 99 999 men as reserve for next battles, than to use whole 100k, as this one man will kill the same amount of enemies as would 100k.
Wouldn't it me more realistic, if result of the roll showed how many of your men achieved to kill one of the enemies? Then player with 100k would kill 15k of enemy men, and player with 10k would kill 1,5k. Equation would be of course changed a bit then, to allow situations where army kills more men that it has itself. Smaller army may still win the battle and force the enemy to fall back and slower their movements by having larger result of dice roll, but even then it would be much less probable to totally destroy bigger army (yet, historically correct, it would still be possible with series of lucky rolls in following battles). What do you guys think about such idea?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:16:53 pm by Raddeo »
There is a story that scientists built an inteligent computer.
The first question they asked it was "Is there a God?"
The computer replied "There is now."
And the bolt of lightning struck the plug,
So it couldn't be turned off.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 25, 2016, 06:24:23 pm »
So much math

Offline Nightdragger

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 25, 2016, 06:31:07 pm »
As we're already talking about dices and battle rules. I want to bring here something you've explained to me in PW, as it still seems to me strange I'd like others to express their opinions.
According to your equation, result of dice roll shows percent of troops player loses after battle. And that's fine. But it means, that if one player uses, for example 100k troops, while the other only 10k and they both get, lets say, 15 on the dice, then first player looses 15k men, while the other only 1,5k. It means, that having more troops is disadvantage in the battle, as you may lose much more units in single battle. And, a bit hypothetically of course, it would be wiser to send 1 man to the battle and keep 99 999 men as reserve for next battles, than to use whole 100k, as this one man will kill the same amount of enemies as would 100k.
Wouldn't it me more realistic, if result of the roll showed how many of your men achieved to kill one of the enemies? Then player with 100k would kill 15k of enemy men, and player with 10k would kill 1,5k. Equation would be of course changed a bit then, to allow situations where army kills more men that it has itself. Smaller army may still win the battle and force the enemy to fall back and slower their movements by having larger result of dice roll, but even then it would be much less probable to totally destroy bigger army (yet, historically correct, it would still be possible with series of lucky rolls in following battles). What do you guys think about such idea?

I like this idea :P

Sounds complicated, but once you figured it out it's very simple. I like it.
Now: result of dice roll shows percent of troops player loses after battle

What it should like: result of dice roll shows percent of enemie tr loses after battle

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 25, 2016, 06:36:06 pm »
 ??? You lost me after 100k.

If the concern is "Why send large armies if 1 man can theoretically kill 30% of their army?"

First of all that's power gaming straight & simple so I wouldn't allow it.

Secondly, if the difference in men is abysmally great or the battle is not started by the smaller force, let's say 30 thousand frenchies pounce upon a force of 4 thousand Prussians, the Prussian force could outright surrender if no option besides annihilation is available.

Furthermore, like we discussed and I think I also explained to another person who asked, theoretically a smaller force could win/ simply not lose against a larger force, say 8 thousand Russian rearguard vs 30 thousand Frenchmen. Theoretically the Russians could win/not lose yes, but they would probably be damaged so severely that, if forced into battle again, they would be annihilated or surrender immediately. It's all strategy; either fight for a long time or win once but be forced to surrender that army right after, etc.

Edit: I realise where you went wrong. You read my equation wrong. Your dice roll is the damage you inflicted upon the enemy, not the damage you take as you interpreted it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:37:59 pm by Volk »