Author Topic: BoP: Napoleonic Wars (Out-of-character Thread) [Live]  (Read 70609 times)

Offline Frederik

• Donator
  • Never forget 03.09.2015 #freeturin
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: BoP: Napoleonic Wars (Out-of-character Thread) [Reservations Open]
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2016, 06:40:41 pm »
Prussia really wasn't in a good state militarily.
That's pretty much a myth, their soldiers were quite well trained and armed, the biggest problem was that their highest officers were quite old.
ich will dich für android
He's a well-known nationalist with no respect for actual history or historians.
For a second I thought you were talking about me. :3

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorWarbandHD
  • Side: Union
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2016, 07:11:21 pm »
Prussia really wasn't in a good state militarily.
That's pretty much a myth, their soldiers were quite well trained and armed, the biggest problem was that their highest officers were quite old.
They were quite small for their size though.
The Dankest of Memes, start in the simplest of words. Wombo combo.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2016, 07:11:46 pm »
Are fortresses going to be a thing?
Elaborate?

Salcos to Papal States, Reznov to Barbary States (sigh), Vald to... snip, Frederik to Saxony. Sorry Rhen, Salcos reserved right before you. If you really want it go talk to him. If not then we still have Etruria & Portugal as well as some of the German states.

So should I stop gathering information or should I continue to gather information but just with your help as well? Regarding the army sizes. Also, navy. I can't seem to be able to find any reliable sources for navy stuff. Nowhere so far do any of my books say "Spain had X ships of the line, Y Frigates". So help with that would be great.

Edit: And Sardinia.
Imo it's better if you find your own history and numbers. It makes the game more enjoyable. Obviously if you can't find anything about your country then you should ask for help

Also Ted Bavaria is bad. Only 33,000 troops. Who even cares if their some of the most highly trained soldiers in Germany
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2016, 07:16:48 pm »
I have found statistics for British troops and their positions, unfortunately its from 1805.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2016, 09:54:06 pm »
I asked to be the Papal States first but okay ... :'(

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2016, 10:01:11 pm »

??? You did?

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
  • One, who prefer to be Comrade that Human Resource
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2016, 10:13:43 pm »
Concerning research, I'm not at home this weekend, but I'll do my research about mother Russia as fast as possible after my return home. So I'm still alive ;)

Personally I think that it would be nice if you, Volk, could gather and post at least some basic numbers and informations for everyone to use. More detailed info (rather for role play use) players should of course find themselves, but some basic informations should be available for everyone to avoid situations when each player use different sources and number for the same things.
There is a story that scientists built an inteligent computer.
The first question they asked it was "Is there a God?"
The computer replied "There is now."
And the bolt of lightning struck the plug,
So it couldn't be turned off.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2016, 10:28:55 pm »

??? You did?

Can I be the Papal States

It's fine though, Salcos can play the Papal Sates.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:49:27 pm by Windflower »

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2016, 10:45:24 pm »
Concerning research, I'm not at home this weekend, but I'll do my research about mother Russia as fast as possible after my return home. So I'm still alive ;)

Personally I think that it would be nice if you, Volk, could gather and post at least some basic numbers and informations for everyone to use. More detailed info (rather for role play use) players should of course find themselves, but some basic informations should be available for everyone to avoid situations when each player use different sources and number for the same things.

Yea, some basic info would be nice. As he said, that way each player doesn't end up with a different number each time. Also, it means that we're all balanced out, or as much as possible.

From the little research I've done so far, I cant seem to find any info on the strength of the ottoman army around this time. All I can find is about reforms n stuff. Any idea's/suggestions on sources? It'd be nice to have some solid facts

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2016, 11:01:39 pm »

Yea, some basic info would be nice. As he said, that way each player doesn't end up with a different number each time. Also, it means that we're all balanced out, or as much as possible.

From the little research I've done so far, I cant seem to find any info on the strength of the ottoman army around this time. All I can find is about reforms n stuff. Any idea's/suggestions on sources? It'd be nice to have some solid facts
here are some numbers, although im not sure how accurate they are. it seems like they could only actually raise like 50,000 soldiers

http://napoleonicmilitarymodelling.blogspot.com/2012/05/ottoman-empire-turkey-sublime-port.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_Ottoman_Empire
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2016, 03:32:06 am »
Just a few things I've been thinking about. Should I use the same combat system that I use for land battles for naval actions? Also, some generals died in/right after battles like Kutozov & Bagration. Should I make it so if the enemy rolls a certain number over your roll your general is killed, or if you roll a certain dice roll (7 or 10 for examples) general dies, or should I just use judgement & the plans you guys send me (ie battle complete disaster, general dies).

I am going to continue to try to find as much info about nations' armies & navies as much as I can. So far everything's going great. Still need help in the HRE though.

Also, if anybody can create a BoP Napoleonic Wars header that'd be great.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:33:48 am by Volk »

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
  • One, who prefer to be Comrade that Human Resource
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2016, 10:50:47 pm »
Emperor Napoleon, have you seen this page?
http://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/napoleonic-till-1826-janissary-led-ottoman-army/
It's mostly about uniforms, not a numbers, but maybe you can use their sources to find some more informations. Or at least get some overall idea about Ottomans' army from this period.

And Volk, concerning Ottomans, you've written in main game topic, that Ottomans cannot reform their army. Sultan Selim III was the one who tried to reform Ottoman army, he introduced so called New Model Army, changed organisation of military, reduced role of Janissaries, etc. His reforms were one of the reasons of Janissary rebellion and his assassination in 1807. So removing them from the game seems to be strange idea to me. Why have you done so?

And also I may try to make a simple header tomorrow if you want.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:57:06 pm by Raddeo »
There is a story that scientists built an inteligent computer.
The first question they asked it was "Is there a God?"
The computer replied "There is now."
And the bolt of lightning struck the plug,
So it couldn't be turned off.

Offline Rhen

• Colonel
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2016, 11:19:05 pm »
After some discussions with a Württembergian and endless of useless articles, I have come to the conclusion that the supposed Württembergian army size at the time (1803) was around 8000 men small. Rest in peace Württemberg.

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2016, 12:27:52 am »
And Volk, concerning Ottomans, you've written in main game topic, that Ottomans cannot reform their army. Sultan Selim III was the one who tried to reform Ottoman army, he introduced so called New Model Army, changed organisation of military, reduced role of Janissaries, etc. His reforms were one of the reasons of Janissary rebellion and his assassination in 1807. So removing them from the game seems to be strange idea to me. Why have you done so?
By reform military I mainly meant tactics/doctine wise. At the start of the war of the third coalition the allied powers all used (by Napoleon's standards) outdated tactics; mainly the super linear way they used infantry (those really still and stagnant Fredericken Lines focused on fire rather than the more attack-focused columns and carres), their disposition towards artillery (Grand Battery & horse artillery), the piecemeal use of cavalry, the whole Frederick era system of logistics, etc. The whole "reform" mechanic is mainly to give France an early edge in the beginning due to new tactics but allows the other powers to catch up.

Ottomans did do reforms it is true, mainly the Nizam-ı Cedid reforms, however the new army was both very scarcely used and was almost always impeded by conservative Turk ministers, generals, the Yeniceri, etc. Plus even though they were trained in western tactics, the tactics of the leaders and military overall remained "old". IE over reliance on the initial charge of cavalry like in previous centuries & the Yeniceri corps being the backbone of the infantry with basically levies supporting it. Plus, if the player did try to reform their military to get the Napoleonic tactics bonus, I'd have to do massive Yeniceri rebellions that would distract me from the main affairs of Europe, be nearly impossible for the player (Napoleon) to beat (considering the New Model Army at its peak was about 25,000 strong), and just be another thing on my plate to worry about. I figured I could just simplify matters by just keeping the Ottomans from getting that bonus.

If Napoleon really wants to try the whole reform thing or you guys just want to allow Ottomans to reform I can change it. Just remember that it's another thing I'll have to worry about, mainly because every nation but the Ottoman Empire can reform without having massive rebellions. Keeping the Ottomans from reforming their military doesn't mean I won't do some of the key historical flavor events (like Selim III's assassination), it just means they won't be able to get that +1 bonus in rolls that everyone else might enjoy.

Offline Commander Bondage

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Don Bonleone
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2016, 01:14:29 am »
Hmmm interesting. But can we all agree that BabyJ is worst NW?
Tears and screams of pain and pleasure our gifts we will share forever
*President of the Heartkeeper's club*Chairman of the Good Boys board*