Poll

Do you want to bring back the position of Forum Representative?

Yes
53 (59.6%)
No.
22 (24.7%)
Indifferent.
14 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Community Representative/Manager  (Read 23599 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Community Representative/Manager
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2016, 02:08:36 am »
We don't necessarily need more mods aka people who can issue punishments. As long as reports are processed, we have enough moderators. Now, maybe we need one more with Killington have gone inactive, but that's not what we're discussing here.

The problems you describing here are not solved by having extra people recruited which I've done before. The problem is the distance between community and moderation team, and CR's are a way to have the community pick someone on their own, with no interference from us, to work at closing that distance. We can't let them having punishment powers, but I am willing to consider giving them board moderator powers over the Community Board. If punishments are needed, he can contact me or other moderators. This system is similair to the way we used to run the Language Boards, before the introduction of a German and French board moderator.

Offline Kaasovic

• Donator
  • * and Obelix
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Anonymous
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2016, 02:12:01 am »
Nah dude, you need to lay off it. You're the one who's been posting here for 11 pages. A 21 year old insulting people on fse, that's even worse than if you were 16 tbh. Duuring is younger than you and you say that shit. How do you feel?

I feel great, thank you. I am not insulting anyone, I am just saying that what is on my mind, which might be an insult in your eyes. So what I am posting for 11 pages, I want things changed, cleansed and Shoahed. If the current moderation team is not capable of doing that, then they should be replaced with people that actually have a passion for moderating.

Nobody has a passion for moderating. The job fucking sucks. If you want it, volunteer yourself. But don't harp on people who agreed to take the responsibility and tried their best for years when nobody else was doing anything.

In the meantime go for a walk instead of insulting people for their effort not being good enough for your monumental standards. 21 years old my ass, you sound 12.

Seems like youre the 12 year old here. Let me say it again: I am not insulting anyone here, I am just posting what I think. Its not my problem that people take a moderator position and then turn out they are absolute wank at it (as me and others have stated before). If you cannot forfill the position then pass the job on, instead of sitting your lazy ass on this position, just because your power hungry. I would volunteer if I could, but ye my history is mostly build up by mutes about the most retarded things, whatever.
Developer of NordInvasion. Hi mum.

Offline Grimsight

• Donator
  • ᴅɪꜱʀᴇꜱᴩᴇᴄᴛ_Yᴏᴜʀ_ᴍᴇᴍᴇꜱ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3eVolt
  • Side: Union
« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2016, 02:17:13 am »
According to most of the community and the opinion of us the company, Duuring is doing a excellent job, and it is not your place to question his authority.
How is the opinion of "most of the community"? Was there a vote?
I don't think anyone questions his authority. For me, at least, I question whether he is the correct person for a position of authority, due to his lack of involvement in the game community, mostly. I mean, communities should really have the ability to decide who they want to moderate them, not a decision to be made arbitrarily.
I'm glad the company values him as a moderator. If you didn't, i'd question your choice. So it's really a bit of a redundant statement.

You're wasting your time, you are not going to get duuring removed. This is a discussion about community representatives, and your crying is falling on deaf ears.
The moderators may be out of touch with the community (that is certain for NA) explaining the poor decision making - but to think the solution is to remove moderators is foolish. No, the moderation team is small enough. What must be done is add more people to the discussions behind the scenes with differing opinions (aka community reps). People that have our interests in mind. A community representative with adequate power and sway within the moderation team will fulfill exactly what you are calling for.

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2016, 02:28:03 am »
According to most of the community and the opinion of us the company, Duuring is doing a excellent job, and it is not your place to question his authority.
I don't think anyone questions his authority. For me, at least, I question whether he is the correct person for a position of authority, due to his lack of involvement in the game community, mostly. I mean, communities should really have the ability to decide who they want to moderate them, not a decision to be made arbitrarily.
I'm glad the company values him as a moderator. If you didn't, i'd question your choice. So it's really a bit of a redundant statement.

You're wasting your time, you are not going to get duuring removed. This is a discussion about community representatives, and your crying is falling on deaf ears.
The moderators may be out of touch with the community (that is certain for NA) explaining the poor decision making - but to think the solution is to remove moderators is foolish. No, the moderation team is small enough. What must be done is add more people to the discussions behind the scenes with differing opinions (aka community reps). People that have our interests in mind. A community representative with adequate power and sway within the moderation team will fulfill exactly what you are calling for.
For the record, I don't want Duuring gone. He's got the most experience here. What I want is Marks wants, a restructuring of the moderation team, and adding more. Now, I don't know about the viability of it, but the language board moderator system is an excellent example of what needs to take place, with a board moderator for the Events, Regiments, and / or community section.
Grimsight, check out what Marks suggested. That's what I want, and if i'm in agreement with multiple posters, it must not be falling on deaf ears, especially since we've had Vince comment on the situation.
The thing with a community rep is that how you guys have described it is just a glorified reporting system. If you aren't giving him powers, but giving him communications with the moderation team, that sounds like adding a moderator on steam or PM'ing him.
I think we can all agree, however, that more moderators seem to be needed..

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Grimsight

• Donator
  • ᴅɪꜱʀᴇꜱᴩᴇᴄᴛ_Yᴏᴜʀ_ᴍᴇᴍᴇꜱ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3eVolt
« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2016, 02:38:01 am »

For the record, I don't want Duuring gone. He's got the most experience here. What I want is Marks wants, a restructuring of the moderation team, and adding more. Now, I don't know about the viability of it, but the language board moderator system is an excellent example of what needs to take place, with a board moderator for the Events, Regiments, and / or community section.
Grimsight, check out what Marks suggested. That's what I want, and if i'm in agreement with multiple posters, it must not be falling on deaf ears, especially since we've had Vince comment on the situation.
The thing with a community rep is that how you guys have described it is just a glorified reporting system. If you aren't giving him powers, but giving him communications with the moderation team, that sounds like adding a moderator on steam or PM'ing him.
I think we can all agree, however, that more moderators seem to be needed..

I agree with your worries about the role of the rep. If they are a glorified reporting system as you say, then the moderators will have once again launched a useless initiative. The representative must have the sway to influence the moderators decisions. However I doubt the failure of the previous reps is at the fault of the moderators ability to listen, but rather the reps failure to actually represent the community and voice its concerns. But obviously I do not know what really happened behind the scenes, so that is merely my assumption from the sidelines.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2016, 09:17:04 am »
Mark's point was to have members of the moderation team rather than the community reps that were still active in line battling and regiments in general. Honestly I can agree with some of you when you say that Duuring has made some questionable decisions at time but otherwise he has tried to be fair and as active as possible.

You have all blown this out of proportion just to take a stab at Duuring. Go back and read the original points to actually learn what this is for.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2016, 09:39:55 am »
Thread derailed honestly don't know what people want. I'm sticking by my main 2 posts if you agree cool but I think some of have it twisted.

Vince wont change shit as he enjoys the dictatorship style, Duuring is happy being the Dictator. Many of you have resorted to insulting each other and it's looking pretty childish, we all spend time on this forum and I think we can all agree a community rep wont cut it in terms of new moderate reach. The forums need new admins period there's not enough eyes looking in places and I feel any CP,CM will be braindead after a week as he'll have to run back and forth finding problems yet he can't solve them that sounds shit.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2016, 10:02:45 am »
Definitely agree, I would rather have a CR than not have one but like I said before, is it really needed?
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2016, 11:00:55 am »
The only thing a CR won't be able to do is issue punishments. The system worked and works fine with the language boards.

The alternative is the moderators picking a new moderator, but as always we'll to pick someone who's not heavily involved in the community because moderators, at the end of the day, are here to en-force the rules. In the past we had moderators and server admins that were active members of regiments and this led to pretty massive disatisfaction with the team.

An elected moderator who can not issue punishments but has the authority (from us) and the community support (from being elected) to solve community problems and help me and other moderators to run the forum, is the best solution. You can be sceptical all you want; I've always tried to run the moderation team with as much consensus as possible, and why would I make this position if I wasn't willing to listen to it? Once again, the language boards were run the same way. Ask Carabino, it worked fine.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:07:32 am by Duuring »

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2016, 11:05:52 am »
What if you took you took submissions for mod candidates, and anyone could enter their name, but then fse filtered through it to take anyone who they did not want to be a mod off of it, and then the community voted on the options you allowed? Seems like it could be efficient and mostly fair, as long as there aren't any ridiculous decisions made by the community or fse.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2016, 11:15:23 am »
Electing moderators is simply something FSE and I don't want. Moderators should not depend on popular vote, but on skill. They're less inclined to punish those who supported them and it creates the idea of "I helped you become moderator, you can't punish me!'. Once again, we saw this in the past.

Besides, when we picked two new moderators, their standing in the community was a very important criterium. Marks was still a moderator then, he knows this. I didn't just pick them.

If we get new moderators, the CR will also have a say, equal to that of moderators. That's one of the reasons I want them, because they'll know the hearts and minds of the community better then I do.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile

Offline Becker-

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • "The Gang joins the Army"
  • Nick: Bring back the 54th.
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2016, 03:49:24 pm »
Here is a crazy idea to keep mods active... 1 year term limits. Each year an election should take place. Mods can run as many times as they'd like. It will keep them honest, if the community has an issue with a given mod he can be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norwegian13

« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2016, 04:30:33 pm »
Here is a crazy idea to keep mods active... 1 year term limits. Each year an election should take place. Mods can run as many times as they'd like. It will keep them honest, if the community has an issue with a given mod he can be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I agree with Duuring on that. No moderator elections.

However, I do want the current mod team to be rebooted and replaced with new active mods and then if they go inactive, remove them aswell and put some new ones in. That's how moderation generally works on other forums online, staff goes inactive, they get removed and replaced by someone else that's active and can be trusted with such a responsibility.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2016, 05:24:58 pm »
Why don't we kick out inactive moderators?

Simply: If we decide to put our trust in someone, that trust doesn't go away when that person becomes inactive (exceptions for Junior Moderators, as they're in their trial period). It's true that a part of the team is inactive, but so is a good deal of the community. We can recruit new moderators, true, but if I understood you all well, most complaints are lack of moderators within the Community Board, which is a problem we solve with Community Representatives because they moderate (though not punish) there.

They can't do a lot of damage by deleting or editing posts, because we can always retrieve them.