Author Topic: 5th Georgia Volunteers "Clinch Rifles"  (Read 9144 times)

Offline Jonny Powers

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
5th Georgia Volunteers "Clinch Rifles"
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:12:51 pm »
Welcome, soldier! Are you looking to enlist in the 5th Georgia Volunteers?

Hello!
     I am John Powers, the Lieutenant Colonel of the 5th Georgia Volunteers. I assume from your visitation of this thread you are wondering, "Who are these guys? I've never heard of this regiment before." That's a valid question and, at the time of writing, we are only two months old, a veritable baby in terms of North and South regiments. So, I will provide some background.

History of the 5th Georgia Volunteers - The Real McCoy
     The 5th Georgia was a real infantry regiment in the American Civil War. They were formed from 10 Companies in 1861, to be first posted in Florida under General Bragg, where they received their training. Their first combat assignment was on Santa Rosa Island off the coast of Florida. The assault on the Island resulted in a victory and early experience for the regiment. Following this the regiment was posted in early 1862 to Knoxville, Tennessee and Corinth, Mississippi. They were ordered to move on Shiloh in April, but arrived too late to participate in the battle. The regiment fought in and around Corinth until the end of May, when they were ordered to participate in the invasion of Kentucky. Following that failure they were reassigned to battle in Murfreesboro. This proved devastating to the 5th Georgia, where they received 32% casualties along with their Colonel and the regimental battle flag. Following this defeat the regiment pulled back to Shelbyville, Tennessee, where it remained until they went to participate in the Tullahoma Campaign. Come September of 1863 the regiment was back in native Georgia. They suffered further casualties, 55%, at the battle of Chickamauga. They participated in the Siege of Chattanooga on Missionary Ridge until they were driven from their position and fell back with the rest of the Army of Tennessee. The regiment suffered through a series of battles in their retreat through Georgia in early 1864 and served as prison guards until being moved to the South Carolina coast late that year. They fought to protect the Charleston and Savannah railroad, losing the battle flag a second time as they were forced to retreat. The 5th continued in retreat with the rest of the Confederate Army through North Carolina. They participated in the battle at Bentonville in March, launching an assault against the Federal XX Corp, where they encountered devastating fire and were forced to fall back. The Army of Tennessee surrendered on April 26, 1865, where a few members of the regiment were present to witness the surrender at the Bennett Homestead.

History of the 5th Georgia Volunteers - Irish's Warriors
     The North and South regiment was officially founded (coincidentally) on the 5th of December, 2014 (although it did not become active until after Christmas), within the Dixieland Army, from the ashes of the 8th Florida regiment. Following the dissolution and abdication of leadership on the part of the Colonel of the 8th Florida, Gavrilo, the then Lieutenant Colonel Irish Warrior and Major John Powers, took it upon themselves to reform the regiment, seeing nothing inherently wrong with the previous one, save the eccentricities of the leader. Now Colonel and Lieutenant Colonel, respectively, Irish Warrior and myself contacted everyone previously in the regiment and, under the banner of the 5th Georgia, reformed with nearly all of the old members. They were swiftly brought up into Bragg's Brigade, where it currently resides. The regiment continued to grow to it's current size (at the time of this writing) to approximately 40 members within two months time.
Update 5/3/2015
The 5th Georgia Volunteers has, since the original posting, swelled to a size fluctuating around 50+ members, with a constant 10+ member activity for every event we attend. Irish Warrior is now also Brigadier General of Bragg's Brigade.
Update 7/5/15
After 6 months of activity, and the release of 1.0 on the first, the 5th Georgia Volunteers has grown to 60 members, as well as being the cornerstone regiment of Hardee's Brigade. Irish retained his Brigadier General rank in the new Brigade, but changed his name to Francis Underwood in reflection of his love of House of Cards.
Update 7/16/15
We have created 2 regiments now, the skirmishing base A company, the Clinch Rifles, and a new B company, the Griffin Light Guards, which is a more melee and line focused company. For those who are skilled in this aspect, this company might be for you!
Update 11/11/15
Following a three-month absence, the Colonel, Irish "Francis" Warrior has returned! Despite this, I, the Lieutenant Colonel, have begun a hiatus myself to focus on school.
Update 12/12/15
With Finals behind me as of last week, I am returning from my hiatus to enjoy my new-found freedom from the clutches of college! I don't plan on returning to one until the Finals bear down upon me once more :P

Why YOU Should Join the 5th Georgia
     Hopefully if you have reached this point you've read of our colorful past (and issues with The Colors in general) and have gained an inkling of an interest in joining us. But you may say to yourself, "Why should I join them when there are so many other regiments to choose from?" Well, let me provide for you a few reasons out of many.
  • A constantly growing community - As it has been mentioned, we have around 40 members, which we have gained over a span of 2 months. That is, on average, about 3 members a week. At this rate we will hit 100 men in about 6 months. If you want to be a part of the next main player within the Dixieland Army, you should become a regular within its ranks.
    Update 7/5/15
    While we did not hit the ambitious figure of 100, we are currently about 60 men, so a rate of 60 in 6 is still impressive!
  • A Regimental Code to safeguard ALL - As a part of the 8th Florida, all of the veterans of that regiment learned firsthand the perils and plight of authoritarian leadership. As a result, Lt.Col. John Powers and Major Scooter (Ret.) drafted up a set of Rules and Regulations, which not only outline the conduct all members within must abide by, but also the conduct of the Commissioned and Non-Commissioned Officers within their posts and towards all of the members of the regiment. Also included is a list of the rights of all members, by which all are subject to, regardless of rank. This document is signed by all of the members upon their entrance into the regiment and are enforced on all levels to ensure that play is fun and fair to all.
  • Acceptance of all within a welcoming group - We pride ourselves in being accepting of all groups of people, not only in regards to personal background but also in play-styles and activity. Whether you are a hardcore veteran of Mount and Blade: Warband regiments (like the Colonel) or a newcomer to the whole regiment experience (like I was not too long ago), we welcome you into the fold with open arms! We have a solid mix of all kinds of players among ourselves and readily accept anyone wishing to be part of a regiment where the number one priority is having fun!
Where Do I Sign Up?
     If you have come to the conclusion you would like to join the 5th Georgia Volunteers, you needn't look any further! Below are the links to the Colonel, the Lieutenant Colonel (myself), and the First Lieutenant's Steam profiles, where you can send us an invite. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to reply to this topic and/or PM me!
Col. Irish Warrior

Lt. Col. John 'Jonny' Powers

1st Lieutenant Killobytes

Our Steam Group:

Dixieland Army Steam Group:

A folder in my dropbox of information regarding the historical regiment. Please note, I update it regularly!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/10f5g6e7iepl0q6/AABbWq_6ch1Kz03E2Ez6Qg5ca?dl=0

I hope I have been able to provide adequate information to all of you who have shown interest, regardless of your decision to join or not. In any case, I expect to see most of you on the battlefield and look forward to playing with you all!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:15:17 pm by Jonny Powers »

Offline Ry1459

• Captain
  • Think about it TWICE.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ry1459
  • Side: Union
Re: 5th Georgia Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 04:10:20 am »
Good luck!

Offline Jonny Powers

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:26:25 pm »
Updated!

Offline fieldshire

• First Lieutenant
  • Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: #FreeFieldshire
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 04:07:14 am »
Noice bby

Offline Andrix

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 82nd_Sjt_Andrix_Lancaster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 11:23:22 am »
Good luck!
"Let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees." - final words of "Stonewall" Jackson

Offline kattmeister

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 07:36:21 pm »
Good luck!

Offline Jonny Powers

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 06:02:31 pm »
Updated the history!

Offline fieldshire

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 05:57:50 am »
Easily best regiment in the DA.

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 07:45:24 pm »
Joined.  :D

Offline dukeofwellington

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube: ImperialisticGaming
  • Nick: Imperialist
  • Side: Union
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 06:45:29 pm »
5thGA = Best Regiment N&S
-A serving Veteran Private in the 5th. DA_5thGA_VetPvt_StatesRights

Offline fieldshire

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 09:23:08 pm »
-An old volunteer that played for a while and doesn't have time anymore :(

Offline Jonny Powers

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: 5th Georgia Volunteers "Clinch Rifles"
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 03:50:37 am »
Edited the links!

Offline fieldshire

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 05:00:19 pm »
Bump

Offline Jonny Powers

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 05:16:44 pm »
Fieldshire, you love us so much why not join us for an event or two?  ;D

Offline fieldshire

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 05:24:05 pm »
Fieldshire, you love us so much why not join us for an event or two?  ;D
Sure.