Author Topic: Opinions on the development of Battle Cry of Freedom.  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Jorvasker

• Donator
  • 33rd_Fus_Jorvasker
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jorvasker
  • Side: Union
Opinions on the development of Battle Cry of Freedom.
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:50:28 pm »
Now before any of you plebs say it, I am not hear to bitch and complain about it not being released yet, I am just here to state my opinion on the games development and want to see what some of you guys think as well.

First off, I think they announced the game way too early. A game should be released when you actually have gameplay footage or something to show, and from my understanding they announced BCoF with only a few months of work actually done to it. I know they are a small development team, but they could have waited. Because they created all of this hype in the NW community and with time it has slowly just gone and now lots of people don't even have hope that it is going to come out, and it is just harming them because people non-stop pester them and bug them about an alpha or pre-alpha footage. I think they should at least give us stuff to re-assure us that this game is still making progress, because with it nearing 2 years since they announcement they SHOULD have some kind of thing in the game that they can show on video. There have been 25 Dev Blogs and all they consist of are screenshots, sounds, music, and false hope of alpha being released in a "month". I mean Bannerlord only has 8 Dev blogs, but at least they have shown some form of in-game recorded footage, In my opinion, I think a game should be released 2 or so years after its announcement and that is the case with most games on the market, they are announced with a trailer featuring some pre-alpha footage, which is still at least some footage, and then they continue to release new footage to keep the hype up over the course of development and within 2 years the game is released. That is just my opinion on the matter, I think they should have waited a year to announce the development of BCoF, or at least show us SOMETHING to re-assure the community that the game is still in the process of developed.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:54:33 pm by LordJorvasker »

Regiment History:
Filthy Casual Publorde from May 2011 - Mid July 2012 / Early Services from July - November 2012, including 33rd, 63e, 1stCI / 1stFKI - November 2012 - April 2013 / Break from April 2013 - July 2013, with a short return to 63e from June until July / 1stEPI - July 2013 - January 2016 (Retired from game)

Offline Crescent Glow

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Opinions on the development of Battle Cry of Freedom.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:54:05 pm »
I agree with it being announced too early. Also, a fair amount of people aren't too fond of a Civil War themed game. I would rather play a Napoleonic Wars mod for Bannerlord tbh.

Offline Jorvasker

• Donator
  • 33rd_Fus_Jorvasker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:55:08 pm »
I agree with it being announced too early. Also, a fair amount of people aren't too fond of a Civil War themed game. I would rather play a Napoleonic Wars mod for Bannerlord tbh.
Well, at this rate, I think Bannerlord AND a NW mod will be released before BCoF is out.

Regiment History:
Filthy Casual Publorde from May 2011 - Mid July 2012 / Early Services from July - November 2012, including 33rd, 63e, 1stCI / 1stFKI - November 2012 - April 2013 / Break from April 2013 - July 2013, with a short return to 63e from June until July / 1stEPI - July 2013 - January 2016 (Retired from game)

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:57:08 pm »
I don't like the whole, 'Alpha is soon'. We were told it was coming before summer, Vince has given his reasons but it's really downs everyones mood to be mislead.

Offline Jorvasker

• Donator
  • 33rd_Fus_Jorvasker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 06:03:30 pm »
I don't like the whole, 'Alpha is soon'. We were told it was coming before summer, Vince has given his reasons but it's really downs everyones mood to be mislead.
Yeah, they keep reminding people that Alpha is soon, but for some people that doesn't mean much because it is pretty expensive for the average person to participate in it, and they fail to release it every time they say it is close to being out.

Regiment History:

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 06:07:34 pm »
Yeah, they keep reminding people that Alpha is soon, but for some people that doesn't mean much because it is pretty expensive for the average person to participate in it, and they fail to release it every time they say it is close to being out.

Either way it's a small team, can't press too hard.

Offline Jorvasker

• Donator
  • 33rd_Fus_Jorvasker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 06:12:45 pm »

It is, but they should have been smarter when it came to announcing things, because it is a small team, but they should only announce things they are sure their small team can accomplish without getting peoples hopes up too much.

Regiment History:

Offline MrSt3fan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Col_MrSt3fan
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 06:38:18 pm »
I think they announced it so early as they needed people to donate to actually develop the game. If they had waited a year they probably wouldn't have enough money to develop a year in silence, not sure if this is true but that's what I think. They did announce Alpha way too early though

Offline Jorvasker

• Donator
  • 33rd_Fus_Jorvasker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 08:41:09 pm »
such neglect much wow

Regiment History:

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 09:39:44 pm »
Give them time, donations they have probably isn't enough.  Although wonder if they ever tried seeking actual investment to make it a full time thing  :D

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:14 pm »
Anyone that's donated gets fairly regular updates in the Donator's forums.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Jorvasker

• Donator
  • 33rd_Fus_Jorvasker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 10:45:04 pm »
Give them time, donations they have probably isn't enough.  Although wonder if they ever tried seeking actual investment to make it a full time thing  :D
Not sure, would be cool if they did

Regiment History:

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 01:14:51 am »

Why would a company invest in something that can't keep to deadlines they set themselves let alone ones a company would set, would you want to own/invest in something that the "workers" were not fully committed to nor seemed to keep to their own deadlines?

But to quickly take this "Soon" implies no time, time could infact be infinite as it has not even been defined hence I introduce you to "Soon TM" the international symbol for shrugging your shoulders before glazing off into the sky.

Its been a long long time since I posted on these forums and the community still goes around in circles growing ever smaller as it goes on, by smaller I mean the people fully committed to this game get fewer and fewer by the day. The ship was long since abandoned for this game and everyone pretty much knows that by now, the main stable force for driving this was the American side of the community, unfortunately that long since vanished, North and South seems to be barely propped up which was a shame really as it was more probably the main hook to go "shiney shiney looky looky" for donations ... but that never really took off.

The money raised so far is quite frankly petty in comparison to what should of been raised very quickly, which kinda added to the fact of a shrinking community base that stuck with it so long before being banned, scared off or just frankly the good old "Ah bugger this". The developers fault? Naaaawwwww, just lack of the excitement in the game, and the lack of excitement the developers showed towards their current and new game it seemed, which when trying to make one at the same time with not enough famous faces within the community still backing it makes it really hard to keep hold of that popularity needed.

The mod had it all back in late 2010, then as it progressed into 2011 started that little breaking bits, and finally to 2012 when it all really went sour with taleworlds the forum formed. Too much passive and nonpassive aggression to one another which made more and more ... still see that today with the "Rebellion" type threads which make me laugh so much as its a re-occurring problem with just general satisfaction levels that have never been fulfilled or taken note of.

Overall as a standpoint I held for a long time when the game was announced back in November 2012, it won't take off, and it really hasn't. Blame whatever you like but it founded itself on the success of the community not of the developers themselves and its management team, with that crumbling like ash in the breeze, no hope really.

Also the pictures look awfully like Warband ported into another engine don't they? I mean the crouching is Exactly the same.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 01:26:57 am »

Why is this always a fallback excuse? This doesn't mean anything whatsoever. They can work just as fast, if not faster than AAA studios. The fact that they're a "small" studio doesn't change much at all.

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
  • Cyberbullying + Memes = FSE Forums
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 01:54:03 am »
I for one love the American Civil War era.  :-X