Author Topic: Your dream impression  (Read 17503 times)

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
Re: Your dream impression
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 10:30:34 pm »
There is a 92nd Napoleonic reenactment group here in the Netherlands, so basically the 42nd but with yellow facings, collar and cuffs instead of blue.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 10:37:06 pm »
There is a 92nd Napoleonic reenactment group here in the Netherlands, so basically the 42nd but with yellow facings, collar and cuffs instead of blue.
I know, Duuring already tried to convince me some months back.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Von_Clausewitz

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Clausewitz
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 10:40:03 pm »

I wouldn't go and do a Highland regiment impression, most of the times (from what I've seen), they're not done well ranging from the uniforms being used to the musicians playing alongside them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:42:22 pm by Von_Clausewitz »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 10:42:25 pm »

I wouldn't go and do a Highland regiment impression, most of the times (from what I've seen), they're not done well ranging from the uniforms to the musicians playing alongside them.

From what I've heard from Duuring that 92nd group is pretty much an exception to that rule.
Anyway, being a drummer for Highland infantry is just plain badass. If you know how to play the fucker, that is.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 10:42:55 pm »
Our Gordons aren't too bad, you really should try it Riddlez. I know you want to, nobody can resist the power of the reenactment side.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 10:44:16 pm »
Our Gordons aren't too bad, you really should try it Riddlez. I know you want to, nobody can resist the power of the reenactment side.

I indeed want to, but I wouldn't have any money left, because I would have to quit my job AND archery to have actually fucking time for it.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 10:48:06 pm »
You will be perfectly able to have a job, it's not like you will ALWAYS be away. Besides, these groups have loaner gear so you wont have to spent a lot of money straight away.

Offline Ry1459

• Captain
  • Think about it TWICE.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ry1459
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 10:51:51 pm »
If I'd ever put the time or money into doing reenacting, I would love to have a 2nd USSS impression from the American Civil War or a 101st Airborne impression from WWII (Yes I know there is so many people that do it, I would just like to do it as well :P)

Offline Von_Clausewitz

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 10:52:12 pm »

I wouldn't go and do a Highland regiment impression, most of the times (from what I've seen), they're not done well ranging from the uniforms to the musicians playing alongside them.

From what I've heard from Duuring that 92nd group is pretty much an exception to that rule.
Anyway, being a drummer for Highland infantry is just plain badass. If you know how to play the fucker, that is.

It takes years to perfect playing any instrument, so IF you'd like to play the drums you shouldn't do it merely for reenacting. As for the 92nd reenactment group I wouldn't know. Kilts / Jackets / Glengarry Bonnets and other accessories are very expensive (and thats for modern Highland clothing, if you'd want to do an impression of an early 19th century Highland infantryman you'd have to get it ALL custom made) and I'd be surprised if reenactors would use quality highland clothing. I don't mean to discourage you (after all I'm not a reenactor), but if you'd want to do a historically accurate impression you'd have to spend a good amount of money.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:53:51 pm by Von_Clausewitz »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 10:59:02 pm »
True that. You don't have to be rich to re-enact...but you do need money.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 11:04:47 pm »
Spoiler

It takes years to perfect playing any instrument, so IF you'd like to play the drums you shouldn't do it merely for reenacting. As for the 92nd reenactment group I wouldn't know. Kilts / Jackets / Glengarry Bonnets and other accessories are very expensive (and thats for modern Highland clothing, if you'd want to do an impression of an early 19th century Highland infantryman you'd have to get it ALL custom made) and I'd be surprised if reenactors would use quality highland clothing. I don't mean to discourage you (after all I'm not a reenactor), but if you'd want to do a historically accurate impression you'd have to spend a good amount of money.
[close]

Well, same for archery, really, only it's a little less...
And playing snare drums? That's not that hard, I'd say a year to a year and a half to play it properly, not perfectly, but good enough.

Offline Von_Clausewitz

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 11:09:28 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

And playing snare drums? That's not that hard, I'd say a year to a year and a half to play it properly, not perfectly, but good enough.

Highland drumming is nothing like playing any other drum you might've heard before, it takes years and a great deal of time to play well within a pipe band (or with other pipers). Besides, to learn it you'd have to join a local pipe band, meaning you'd have to put alot of time/effort in to begin with. But if it's only for show and you don't actually play a lot of complicated music I guess it wouldn't matter much

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 11:14:51 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

Highland drumming is nothing like playing any other drum you might've heard before, it takes years and a great deal of time to play well within a pipe band (or with other pipers). Besides, to learn it you'd have to join a local pipe band, meaning you'd have to put alot of time/effort in to begin with. But if it's only for show and you don't actually play a lot of complicated music I guess it wouldn't matter much

The Scottish war tunes can indeed be extremely complicated, vut that's professional drill team tunes, there are plenty of easier ones, which still sound pretty good.

Offline Von_Clausewitz

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 11:19:15 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

The Scottish war tunes can indeed be extremely complicated, vut that's professional drill team tunes, there are plenty of easier ones, which still sound pretty good.

Easy once you get the basics down, which is hard. But if you're truly passionate and willing to learn the instrument with guidance from a teacher, it really is worth it. But I advice you not do it only if you want to play the 'simple stuff' and you're not 100% sure if you'd want to dedicate yourself to playing the instrument. I've seen a handful of people with the same attitude come and go in pipe bands. Anyway, thats a discussion for a different time and a different topic. Good luck with your impression if you do decide to do it :)

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 11:20:03 pm »
Reenacting a highland infantry regiment is not really the same as preforming in a modern day Highland Pipe band.