Author Topic: ModIgniter NW - tool for startup mod projects  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: RRA_10thRH_SoH_Grozni
  • Side: Neutral
ModIgniter NW - tool for startup mod projects
« on: June 20, 2014, 02:40:02 am »
ModIgniter NW

Update: added ability to change faction names in advance:

A small and simple windows program I made for myself but am sharing it here in case someone finds it useful.

At it's current state (v0.0.1), it serves to setup files needed to start a new Napoleonic Wars mod, both in module folder and module system source.
The exe contains within itself all the module system files for 1.134 NW, so you don't even need to download module system, all you have to do is drop the exe into folder where you will keep projects and run it, decide a mod name, click through a couple of simple prompts and thats it.

ModIgniter_NW.exe download: (1.7 MB)
http://snk.to/f-cdx3gnud

Background: I often get ideas to mod something, and feel inspired to get to work right away, but then pain in the ass of setting up all the files for starting a new project often makes me change my mind. It is not even that much of a work, its just pain to do that stuff when you're high on inspiration and want to get to modding part right away. This simple program solves that problem. You may think this is ultimate in lazy, and you're probably right.

Usage:

1) Put the ModIgniter_NW.exe file into folder where you would like to keep your work files and projects
(for example, D:\Projects\NW mods\)
2) Run the file, and type in the name of your new mod
3) When asked, select game installation Modules folder (this is found automatically by default, but it's fail safe to let you pick it by hand)
(please note the program is asking for location of Modules folder, and not game main folder)
4) Choose whether you want to copy into your new module NW assets as well, folders Sounds, Music and Textures (if you don't know perfectly what you are doing, the default answer would be Yes, because without these files the mod wouldn't work out of the box)

And thats it, ModIgniter did the following:
1) created folder with your mod name in Modules dir, with all required NW files in it
2) created folder with your mod name and module system source files in it, at same location from where you ran ModIgniter_NW.exe (ie D:\Projects\NW mods\New Mod Name\)
3) changed output path in module_info.py to your new module directory.
So after this you can start modding right away, without having to change a damn thing.

Notes:
-currently works only for Napoleonic Wars mods, hence the NW part at end of it's name
-when creating new files (in modules folder and source folder) if old files exist program will overwrite files without asking.
-exe file shouldn't be in root path, make sure it is in some folder before trying to use it
-functionality is very basic, but I'd like to extend it with some features which would make starting a new mod even smoother, like options to change some stuff in module in advance, which would otherwise take a lot of time to do (for example setting up different factions)

It served me well, but I haven't tried to test it on other systems, if you tried to use it and found any errors, bugs etc let me know, cheers.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:03:47 am by Grozni »

Offline Xaime

• Captain
  • lul
    • View Profile
Re: ModIgniter NW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:47:58 am »
nice

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: RRA_10thRH_SoH_Grozni
Re: ModIgniter NW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:01:47 am »
Update, v 0.0.2

Added ability to change faction names in advance. Note the third column ("Menu selection") is version of the name which is most visible in-game, other two columns are used by NW code to form some strings.

Checkboxes are there to disable factions, but this is not implemented yet so it doesn't work.

I'll be adding more stuff when I grab more time, if anyone has idea for a feature that would make life easier when it comes to common tasks in starting a module let me know.

Offline Xaime

• Captain
  • lul
    • View Profile
Re: ModIgniter NW - tool for startup mod projects
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 01:06:27 am »
-
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:04:16 pm by James. Moore »

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile