Author Topic: Cossacks!  (Read 26040 times)

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Cossacks!
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:17:50 pm »

About Us
We're a group of friends who seek to enjoy organised events in the NW community, and wish to honour the sacrifices made by the men of all sides of the great conflicts of the early 19th century whilst doing so. Rank means little here, other than who is trusted to carry us to glorious victory, or to humorous defeat at the hands of a numerically superior foe. Everyone is welcome to join, regardless of skill level, or abilities. We simply ask that you attempt to remain mature when the situation calls for it. Nothing is mandatory, in terms of trainings or events. We understand that everyday life comes before shooting virtual soldiers, and won't kick you out for being 'inactive', assuming you don't simply disappear.
 - Thomas, a failure at making nice introductions.

Roster                                                                   
Spoiler
Thomas
Kowalski
Holland
[close]
Ranks                                                                   
Spoiler
*Gasp* We have none.
[close]

History
The name Cossack is derived from the Turkic word quzzaq and mean simply "adventurer" and "freeman". This name has been shared by several groups throughout the history of Europe and Asia. The most prominent and numerous are the Russian Cossacks of the Don, Ural and Siberia regions. Also famous were the Ukrainian Cossacks who lived on the southern steppes of modern Ukraine. They grew astronomically during the 15th-17th centuries due to numerous runway peasants from Russia and Poland respectively. Cossacks paid no taxes and enjoyed a large measure of autonomy in the management of their communal affairs.

Janet Hartley writes: "Cossacks are not a separate ethnic group (although they were designated as such in the Soviet period); they comprise mainly Russian and Ukrainian peasants and fugitives who had fled to the southern borderlands. They nevertheless regarded themselves as a separate group within the Russian empire, with separate institutional and social structure, who owed a loyalty to their Cossack host as well ass to the Russian tsar. The 18th and the early 19th century saw the transformation of Cossack communities from active resistors to central tsarist authority to loyal servitors of the state, but this did not mean that they had lost their sense of separate identity or their distrust of Russian officials and grandees." (Charles Esdaile - "Popular Resistance in the French Wars" p186)

Cossacks played a key role in the expansion of the Russian Empire into Siberia, the Caucasus and Asia. They also served as guides to most Russian expeditions formed by civil geographers, traders, explorers and surveyors. In 1648 the Russian Cossack Simeon Dezhnev opened a passage between America and Asia. (ext.link)

During the Napoleonic Wars the Cossacks participated in numerous campaigns and battles. In late 1790s they went with Suvorov to Italy and Switzerland. In 1805 they took part in the disastrous Austerlitz Campaign. In 1806 and 1807 the Cossacks were in Eastern Prussia in Bennigsen's army. There were several Cossack regiments fighting against the Swedes and Turks in 1808, 1809 and 1810.

In 1812 and 1813 the Cossacks covered themselves with glory. The relentless pursuit by the light cavalry and Cossacks, the winter and the tsar's and people's determination resulted in a truly disastrous defeat on Napoleon. The Grand Army ceased to be grand, it even ceased to be an army. Fewer than 100,000 of the 500 000 that Napoleon had used for the invasion returned west.

Cossacks in Paris In 1814 the dreaded Cossacks entered Paris. They were received with the best foods but they preferred to cook their own meals. The beautiful houses, palaces and courts, and the products of luxury which they encountered in Paris did not tempt them. In the beginning the Parisians were scared of the the unique troops. Russian and Cossack officers gathered in certain restaurants and hammered on the tables yelling bistro ! which is Russian word for "quickly". Hence the name bistro for this type of restaurant.
The no-nonsense tough warriors bivouacked in the square of the Carousel before his majesty's windows, and dried their shirts and trousers on the iron railings of the palace. They also camped out on the famous Champs Elysees.

The Cossacks were again in Paris in 1815. A large group of Cossacks was dispatched to find the Prussians and English armies advancing on Paris and they were the first Allies' troops who marched through Paris very shortly after Waterloo.

Shamelessly stolen from here.

Interested in Joining?

If you wish to join our roaming horde, feel free to contact me via the FSE Forums or Steam.

Or.. if you'd like for everyone to be aware of your application.. :P
Code
[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]: (We have no age limit, merely one for maturity)
[b]Previous Experience?[/b]
[b]Do you have, or are you willing to download Teamspeak 3?[/b]

Songs Posted in This Thread:

This is still a WIP. Feel free to yell at me about it, as I know next to nothing of the Cossacks and their organisation.
(I'd be grateful for any help offered though. :P)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:29:20 pm by TheBoberton »

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
Re: Cossacks!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:18:04 pm »
Suddenly, Cossacks!
(Yes, I edit this each time we change regiments. I need my reserved post to match the rest of it!)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:06:07 am by TheBoberton »

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Browne's Gibraltar Flankers
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:18:33 pm »
Good luck, this is interesting. Whatever happened to 2ndCS?

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:20:46 pm »
Yeah.. but Good Luck!!

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:21:02 pm »

Yeah.. but Good Luck!!

Thanks
And things just kind of fell apart due to some differences in command. Generally what happens when two regiments merge, so it was nothing new, and I didn't mind starting anew.

Offline Jamez

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:22:10 pm »
good luck!

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 11:50:50 pm »
Identity change #8728...

Lol, very interesting choice! Good luck with this! :)

Kielbasa!

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 12:29:49 am »
good luck!

Identity change #8728...

Lol, very interesting choice! Good luck with this! :)

Thanks. And yes, it is an interesting choice indeed. The battalion was actually in a Sharpe book, oddly enough. Cornwell got what they did right though, for the most part.

Offline Peter Broetz

• Brigadier General
  • batteries
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 12:31:09 am »
Best of luck lads. ;)

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 12:41:14 am »
Thomas is on Panzersanta's Nice list:

Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Sleek

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 01:03:16 am »
Good luck mang
Quote from: Theodin
Sleek somehow only attacks when he’s successfully pulled a dude away and his team is coming to help - as in, the most reasonable time to continue blocking

Sleek plays like he's underwater - slow

Offline Jorvasker

• Donator
  • 33rd_Fus_Jorvasker
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jorvasker
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 01:07:31 am »
Good Luck :D

Regiment History:
Filthy Casual Publorde from May 2011 - Mid July 2012 / Early Services from July - November 2012, including 33rd, 63e, 1stCI / 1stFKI - November 2012 - April 2013 / Break from April 2013 - July 2013, with a short return to 63e from June until July / 1stEPI - July 2013 - January 2016 (Retired from game)

Offline Stunned Lime

• Major
  • Hella O's
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 03:06:17 am »
Good Luck Mate :D

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 05:04:13 am »
Thanks lads.

I think I should probably work on rebuilding the song list, and where better to start than;

"Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer.." (Heart of Oak)

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 08:09:26 am »