Author Topic: Your Regiment's Formations  (Read 8442 times)

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
Your Regiment's Formations
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:05:42 pm »
Hey guys! I was wondering what specific formations that your regiment uses! How do you fight in a double line? What is your preferred anti-cavalry formation? What are your skirmish lines like? I'de like to see what other regiments do!

To start I will give you one of our formations that we call "Aggressive Reform"

During aggressive reform of a double column, each column will move to its respective side. For example, the right column will reform on the right of the commander, whilst the left column will reform on the left. This is a quick way to reform when you are in need of exchanging volleys quickly - you can form up twice as fast as falling in on one direction, and as a result can fire a large amount of shots in a much smaller time. In addition to this order, an advance by arrowhead order may be given, when the commander advances from the centre and the the rest of the line staggers on either side. This is similar to advance by file, except from the centre, when both respective files advance at the same time, yet continue the staggered pattern. Hence, advancing in arrowhead.

So basically, you go from double column, to a single formed around the commander! What have you guys got?
Pointy stick champion

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Your Regiment's Formations
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:18:04 pm »
human blob/rabble formation
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:37:56 pm »

Edit: Ofcourse we have a few more, but can't be bothered right now to paint them etc. :P

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:39:59 pm »
Fire and Advance anyone?

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:25:30 am »
I use a slight watered down version of the formations I learned while server in the EPI a year and a half ago.

I used to use aggressive reform in MM however I don't like to use it much in NW for either events require double. Along with what happens when you are being attacked by an enemy on your right side. You either engage is double rank which makes you at a disadvantage (assuming they are in single rank)  or you do quick right march then give the order. All in all a good way of moving the regiment since its not a long snake line but when in a fight its a little cumbersome.

Fire and Advance anyone?

myself and my guys love doing it but it can only work while firing at a stationarty target directly in front of you and little risk or being attacked by another regiment. Also I often get yelled at by the event organizer :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:27:30 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 01:11:20 am »
The 19te is semi-famous for our "Goose Wheel". Basically a wedge formation which allows us to advance forward in line twice as fast and wheel very easily. :D

We also had (until recently) an anti-cavalry formation nicknamed the "Party Box" (essentially Square Formation), but it has been deemed ineffective and its use discontinued. :(
Party Box!
[close]
Now we just stick to the "Anti-Cav Blob", similar to what GoldenEagle described above (albeit we don't fire in our formation).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:26:49 am by Rogov »

Offline Maroon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Maroon
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 05:53:10 pm »
Very succesful one as cav (I think, never used it xD) is, when you are dragoons, charge in a V-ish formation against infantry, and when you see the infantry forming square, halt the charge (the V should become more or less a line), draw muskets, and fire in the square. After you killed a lot of them with your awesomesauce volley, you charge in to take them out.

Offline GEN0C1DE

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 22ndRK_Maj_Genocide
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 07:29:34 pm »
Very succesful one as cav (I think, never used it xD) is, when you are dragoons, charge in a V-ish formation against infantry, and when you see the infantry forming square, halt the charge (the V should become more or less a line), draw muskets, and fire in the square. After you killed a lot of them with your awesomesauce volley, you charge in to take them out.
Wow that actually seems like a really great idea! Of course you will definitely need some drilling on stopping so suddenly and do it effectively as well. :P

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 09:05:20 pm »
Wow that actually seems like a really great idea! Of course you will definitely need some drilling on stopping so suddenly and do it effectively as well. :P

Thats what you have drill sergeants for  ;)

Offline Crusader

• First Lieutenant
  • EU Senior Admin of NW, Saturday Linebattle Hoster
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 52nd_King_Adminborn_Crusader
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 11:00:12 pm »
Ah yes aggressive reform, i used to use this back in Waterloo along with quite a few other regiments, it is a great way to quickly get a line to fire a round off.

The formations that are most used are blob and line blob....simple but effective, i personally just prefer charging but thats me for you haha
I hereby present Crusader with the Blobdominican medal for Bravery above and beyond the call of duty in his role as AdminBorn of the FSE servers. We have also arranged some lovely flowers & a kitten to commemorate the occasion.
Thanks Crusader for all of your work in the community!
[/quote]

Offline GEN0C1DE

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 22ndRK_Maj_Genocide
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 03:10:04 am »
We have a new formation. Since Lieutenant Dwarf is made of metal and attracts cannon balls, he has been incorporated to be 30 meters away from the main line. Lol.

Offline Tiberius

• Sergeant
  • For the eagle!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stEPI_Rkt_Tiberius
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 05:28:53 am »
Most likely the most historic formations of all, yet effective and impressive.

Roman fanboy

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 09:35:03 pm »

Edit: Ofcourse we have a few more, but can't be bothered right now to paint them etc. :P

Very cool! Sort of how a rally square was used IRL if I am not mistaken.

I use a slight watered down version of the formations I learned while server in the EPI a year and a half ago.

I used to use aggressive reform in MM however I don't like to use it much in NW for either events require double. Along with what happens when you are being attacked by an enemy on your right side. You either engage is double rank which makes you at a disadvantage (assuming they are in single rank)  or you do quick right march then give the order. All in all a good way of moving the regiment since its not a long snake line but when in a fight its a little cumbersome.

Fire and Advance anyone?

myself and my guys love doing it but it can only work while firing at a stationarty target directly in front of you and little risk or being attacked by another regiment. Also I often get yelled at by the event organizer :P

Yea, I have had mixed results using aggressive reform. I normally don't use it, but every once in a while I will give it a shot.

The 19te is semi-famous for our "Goose Wheel". Basically a wedge formation which allows us to advance forward in line twice as fast and wheel very easily. :D

We also had (until recently) an anti-cavalry formation nicknamed the "Party Box" (essentially Square Formation), but it has been deemed ineffective and its use discontinued. :(
Party Box!
[close]
Now we just stick to the "Anti-Cav Blob", similar to what GoldenEagle described above (albeit we don't fire in our formation).

Right! the goose wheel! Whenever I play with you guys, I always hear this command, and have no idea what to do :P. It's a shame about the party box, sounds like a good time! :D
Pointy stick champion

Offline Malakith

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:22:29 pm »
Works every time

Offline Treble

• Sergeant Major
  • top kek melee player
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Treble
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 12:40:06 am »
the pesky surround everything and fire works indeed, Malakith.

Apart from when the Cadet in the opposite line shoots Jeljer  ::)