Author Topic: What would you have been?  (Read 53086 times)

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
  • Side: Union
Re: What would you have been?
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2013, 10:53:38 pm »
I am quick and quiet, I would be a good Rifleman or Light Infantry.
Would you be willing to meet me in a dark room during school break?

:-*

Offline Bastard

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2013, 10:59:09 pm »
My family has a history of really angry criminals, so I wouldn't get a officer rank. At 14 I am tall, strong-ish and slightly not not not stupid. I guess I would end up just yelling at spotty recruits.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:25 pm »
When I think about it, I think I would be a Grenadier, and if I survived, even make it to the Old guard (If I was born as a Frenchie)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2013, 11:02:04 pm »
You don't have to be French to get into the Old guard. Or even the 1er Grenadiers.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2013, 12:46:34 am »
You don't have to be French to get into the Old guard. Or even the 1er Grenadiers.

That would be good news for me in the 1800's :D

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2013, 12:56:08 am »
Well, you did have to be Dutch and survive the peninsular war for about 4 years.

Napoleon ordered every battalion in Spain to give one veteran for the new Old guard, in 1813. This included two batallions of the 130eme de ligne, which used to be 1st bat, 2de ligne and 2nd bat, 4de ligne, of the Dutch army They were incorporated into the French army, and seen as French, in 1810. And as they had been in Spain since 1809, they stayed there.

I found one of those two men in the Roll call of a militia batallion in the Waterloo campaign.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:59:58 am by Duuring »

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2013, 08:33:15 am »
Well, you did have to be Dutch and survive the peninsular war for about 4 years.

Napoleon ordered every battalion in Spain to give one veteran for the new Old guard, in 1813. This included two batallions of the 130eme de ligne, which used to be 1st bat, 2de ligne and 2nd bat, 4de ligne, of the Dutch army They were incorporated into the French army, and seen as French, in 1810. And as they had been in Spain since 1809, they stayed there.

I found one of those two men in the Roll call of a militia batallion in the Waterloo campaign.

Would it be still possible if we say for example that I was an Ottoman Turk that moved to Netherlands or Spain, and joined Dutch army and survived, or Spanish army for that sake?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2013, 08:57:09 am »
Well. No.

Sorry :p

Funny enough, the cavarly detachment fighting in Spain  (a regiment of Hussars) also became part of the guard as...the 2nd (red) lancers. Fuck logic.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:39:19 pm by Duuring »

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »
Well. No.

Sorry :p

Funny enough, the cavarly detachment fighting in Spain  (a regiment of Hussars) also became part of the guard as...the 2nd (red) lancers. Fuck logic.

Welp, fuck me :(

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2013, 10:35:02 pm »
I would've been in some royal regiment in the Kingdom of Holland, than I would be a Dutch Grenadier in French service because I'm 1.89m tall.
They say the Dutch are the tallest people with 1.85m average, and especially the north of the Netherlands, were they are average 1.87m (I am living in the North of the Netherlands).
But now back on my life story:
If I survived Russia (chance 1%, would've probably frozen to death), I would've joined the 2de Grenadiers of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands and fight in the hunderd days campaign, and than I would've come back and get a family  ;)
Nunc aut nunquam

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2013, 10:42:01 pm »
I would've been in some royal regiment in the Kingdom of Holland, than I would be a Dutch Grenadier in French service because I'm 1.89m tall.
They say the Dutch are the tallest people with 1.85m average, and especially the north of the Netherlands, were they are average 1.87m (I am living in the North of the Netherlands).
But now back on my life story:
If I survived Russia (chance 1%, would've probably frozen to death), I would've joined the 2de Grenadiers of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands and fight in the hunderd days campaign, and than I would've come back and get a family  ;)

If i had all the historical data, i wouldve started a book right here, rught now, ust about that story

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2013, 10:56:01 pm »
While we are among the tallest people in the world NOW, we used to be the smallest.

Personal research from the roll call of the 7de (which are mostly from Flanders) had lead me to the conclusion those men were on the average 166 cm, with as small as 140 and as high as 185.
It also seems height was barely important for being part of a flank company, but I've to do a little more research for that.

If anyone wants basicly ANY informations on Dutch 1813-15 units...I think I'm your man. Come on, give my life a purpose!  ::)

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2013, 11:02:49 pm »
While we are among the tallest people in the world NOW, we used to be the smallest.

Personal research from the roll call of the 7de (which are mostly from Flanders) had lead me to the conclusion those men were on the average 166 cm, with as small as 140 and as high as 185.
It also seems height was barely important for being part of a flank company, but I've to do a little more research for that.

If anyone wants basicly ANY informations on Dutch 1813-15 units...I think I'm your man. Come on, give my life a purpose!  ::)

Where do you GET all that research from?!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2013, 11:07:40 pm »
Lots of sites and countless hours of research on the roll calls which are online. Just found another Russia veteran, this time in the 6de BvL. Really guys...lots of them DID survive.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:13:02 pm by Duuring »

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2013, 11:08:27 pm »

Where do you GET all that research from?!

Lol, Duuring is Dutch. I can personally vouch for his extreme knowledge of the Napoleonic Era, especially anything having to do with Dutch/Belgish/Flemmish, w/e.