Author Topic: Are Germans allowed to be proud of their nationality?  (Read 12346 times)

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_John_MacKintosh
  • Side: Neutral
Are Germans allowed to be proud of their nationality?
« on: January 19, 2014, 11:54:51 pm »
As a German in all my life I have experienced that Germans are not allowed to be proud to be Germans. Be it in school, college, holidays or just in the general news or whatever. As soon as you say you are proud to be German you get labelled a fascist pig and people say it's wrong to think so.

Now is my question: How do people from other countries see this? Is it really fair to judge today's people for deeds their great-gradparents and grandparents did?

P.S. I dunno if this is the right section of the forum to post this in. Feel free to move it around, mods.

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Are Germans allowed to be proud of their nationality?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:59:47 pm »
I see no issue with having a sense of pride in your country; however, you should be prepared to admit that it has made mistakes. You shouldn't be made to feel guilty/lesser than someone else due to you nationality; judging someone on what a completely unrelated individual did a century prior is idiotic. That said, nationalism is fine so long as it's not in excess/blinding.

Admittedly, my own perception of Germany is coloured due to my experience of the educational system, so as a country it isn't very high in my good books. German people are solid, though.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:00:44 am »
I hate my state's (and country's maybe, idk) way of teaching history. It seems like 80% of it is WWII and Holocaust, and the other 20% is US-based. There's such little on World History, and though my school has a world history class, it's not required (which is ridiculous, especially since 2-years of US History IS required).

Anyway, it seems Wilson's propaganda worked a bit too much indeed. A lot of people I know are ignorant of Germans beyond just WWII. A lot of people I know don't even know what WWI was about.

To answer your question, yes, Germans are definitely allowed to be proud of their nationality. They have rich history throughout all of history, even during WWII. Germany, especially in the US (and I assume somewhat in UK?), is depicted still as the "Beast of Berlin". A bit ridiculous indeed.

Be proud of your nationality, mate, it's a great one!

edit ps im not fascist pls no ban liek tav

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:00:56 am »
Honestly? I think that Germany is better off without the nationalism.

Don't get me wrong, I see no problem with the Germans being proud of where they're from and who they are, they have as much reason as anyone else to be proud. You don't deserve flak for it.

But being Nationalistic can often just lead to idiotic problems, like people screaming "Russia over all!" or "'Murica, fuck yea!" just makes you look like an asshole in my book, when you start thinking your nation is better than everyone else's.

But tbh, no, Germans do not need to be unpatriotic. It's unfair to treat them poorly for being so, today's Germans have done nothing deserving the the scorn they receive.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:01:10 am »
Alright keep things clean and on topic. If anything aggressive or needless is posted this thread gets closed. This one only has a single chance.

This is the standard 'we are watching this politically themed thread for fallout' post.

Offline [91st] Official

• Major
    • View Profile
    • 91st Regiment of Foot - Argyllshire Highlanders
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 12:02:40 am »
If someone calls a German that's proud of their country or nationality a fascist pig, then they're just being narrow-minded.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:03:45 am »
If someone calls a German that's proud of their country or nationality a fascist pig, then they're just being narrow-minded.

Pretty much this ^
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Eoin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 14thNYSM_Cpt_Owen
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 12:04:02 am »
I see no issue with having a sense of pride in your country; however, you should be prepared to admit that it has made mistakes.

I wouldn't consider the Germany of WW1 or WW2 to be the same as modern Germany. The way I see it, they were completely different nations altogether.

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:08:35 am »
Alright keep things clean and on topic. If anything aggressive or needless is posted this thread gets closed. This one only has a single chance.

This is the standard 'we are watching this politically themed thread for fallout' post.
Yeah I know this has a pretty imflammable character so I understand if it gets out of hand that it is to be locked.

Btw I am not Nazi or anything like that. I totally agree that the WW2 and the Holocaust were some of the worst things humans are able to do. I just find it sad that our country gets reduced mostly on only those things so they overlay other topics we could be proud of, like all the great inventors, scientists, musicians and so forth.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 12:10:18 am »
Well the whole point of 'de-nazification' (a very misleading term for the process), was to basically make Germany uncapable of ever having an aggresive populace willing to wage war. Thus a whole lot of effort was put into removing all nationalistic ideas, i mean you can already see that by making Germany a Federal Republic (Once again, trying to divide the populace into seperate states) to which extent they were willing to go, along with several other long processes of removing all nationalism.

To be fair, i think Germany is better off without nationalistic feelings, nationalism isn't good for any country. Be happy over your economy instead or somethin  :P

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
  • Actual 1v1-10v10 Champion.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 5x NWWC Champ Mbozz/Gontanker/Nut
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 12:15:33 am »
I see no problem with being proud in either your nation or even your history. A fair few people would agree that many of the things the "Nazi's" did were correct and it can be argued that they were. I am not saying I am one of those people but everyone has their own opinion, you can be proud of whatever you want the same works with being ashamed. Why should a nation no longer be allowed self-pride for the mistakes or actions depending how you see it of a leader. Many nations have done bad things and they are still proud. UK's past is not all of glory yet many of us are still proud to be British. Why should we stop people being proud of where they come from? In my opinion don't judge someone on their views or their ancestors previous actions. Judge them on how they treat people or act towards them.
I won lots of things, I came 2nd and 3rd in lots of things, I guess I did some other shit too........ I'm also an FSE legend, probably most commonly described as a cunt. If the shit I do doesn't make sense in your head, well fuck you because it makes sense in mine.

Which i did, against known and reputed player, some of them considered legend, such as, Mandarin, Ledger, Tiberias, Herishey, Hokej, Troister, Axiom, Evanovic, Stark, Eddie, Jammo, Bagins, Freddie, Python. I didn't had a good relationship with most of them, but i congratulate them for what they did, and i had pleasure facing them.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola

Offline [91st] Official

• Major
    • View Profile
    • 91st Regiment of Foot - Argyllshire Highlanders
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 12:17:54 am »
To be fair, i think Germany is better off without nationalistic feelings, nationalism isn't good for any country. Be happy over your economy instead or somethin  :P

I disagree. I don't think anything is wrong with a healthy level of Nationalism for your country; it doesn't have to be hardcore to the extent where you think every other country is terrible in comparison, however.

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 12:21:27 am »
Overly agressive Nationalism is not good for any country I agree, but isn't at least a bit of nationalitic feeling necessary for people to call themselves a nation? After all Germany is named Germany and not "The Republic of Central Europe" :D

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 12:22:31 am »
You are not alone my friend. Same situation in Sweden. More power to you!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:25:54 am by Wismar »