Author Topic: Let's discuss: Buying things!  (Read 67536 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Buying things!
« Reply #330 on: February 14, 2015, 08:07:04 pm »
went to a firearms expo today, focused on historical arms and militaria, had lots of lovely stuff, but i forgot my wallet at home :P

an item that caught my attention though was an original SS overseas cap, with the deaths head insignia sewn onto the front, so it belonged to someone in the deaths head part of the SS. $125 AU.

First of all... It's Totenkopf, even though the name "totenkopf" is translated to "death head," it's not the right term for it. Secondly, the Totenkopf was a symbol used by the entirety of the SS, however made infamous by the 3rd SS Panzer Division which was originally that SS-TV, Totenkopfverbaende (camp guards). It was widely used in the SS as a symbol of fear and power. The Totenkopf originally was from the 1700's and was a symbol of the Brunswick troops for decades, it then transferred into Imperial Prussian use as a symbol of the first and second light horse guard squadrons, both know as the Totenkopf Husaren... The Totenkopf was also used in WW1 with Stosstruppen/Sturmtruppen, and was then ressurected with the formation of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd SS standarten in the 1930's before the transfer from SS-VT into the Waffen-SS.

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #331 on: February 14, 2015, 08:23:06 pm »
went to a firearms expo today, focused on historical arms and militaria, had lots of lovely stuff, but i forgot my wallet at home :P

an item that caught my attention though was an original SS overseas cap, with the deaths head insignia sewn onto the front, so it belonged to someone in the deaths head part of the SS. $125 AU.

The Totenkopf originally was from the 1700's and was a symbol of the Brunswick troops for decades, it then transferred into Imperial Prussian use as a symbol of the first and second light horse guard squadrons, both know as the Totenkopf Husaren...

no, it was used by the prussians (Totenkopf Husaren) a long time before the black brunswickers in the napoleonic wars used it
and squadrons is the wrong term

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #332 on: February 14, 2015, 09:15:30 pm »
Death head is not the wrong word...
Sure, it is supposed to be "death's head", but I don't believe that you are bitching on that little thing...

Directly translation is "Skull" or "death's head"... And that is what it is and represents... So yes, it is the right term.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 10:13:30 pm by Olafson »

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #333 on: February 14, 2015, 09:17:38 pm »
Talking about grammar nazis

huehuehuehue
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 02, 2015, 02:13:08 pm »
The shape of the shako....damn. What the hell did he do with it.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 02, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »
Thank you for that. Might be interested in the greatcoat.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #337 on: March 02, 2015, 03:47:09 pm »
Trying to think what would be the cheapest time period. I was thinking maybe American Rev, Napoleonic, or civil war. I might be moving to Arizona in a year or two so hopefully there's some semblance of life out there and maybe some good groups
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #338 on: March 02, 2015, 06:31:35 pm »
Trying to think what would be the cheapest time period. I was thinking maybe American Rev, Napoleonic, or civil war. I might be moving to Arizona in a year or two so hopefully there's some semblance of life out there and maybe some good groups

Was gonna suggest Soviet WW2 for being cheapest shit ever. But Arizona...umm......good luck.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #339 on: March 02, 2015, 10:47:12 pm »

Was gonna suggest Soviet WW2 for being cheapest shit ever. But Arizona...umm......good luck.
looked some shit up

Pretty good civil war scene and wild west reenactments. The biggest ACW group is the 1st Virginia Infantry but in their description they make a big deal out of judging character via adhering to Christian principles so doesn't sound like a place for me.

A few WWII peeps. Just wait and see I guess.
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
  • Nemo me impune lacessit
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Panini
« Reply #340 on: March 03, 2015, 03:52:54 am »
Arizona pride. Shoot me a pm and I might be able to help with civil war

Offline Von Alten

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 03, 2015, 06:16:09 pm »
Arizona pride. Shoot me a pm and I might be able to help with civil war
if you are going to buy muskets in the Napoleonic, good ones cost around £500. if you don't make any of the kit and just buy good quality, that could amount to £350+
rough estimates, sorry if i'm wrong QQ
I'm bullying you, 14e became master on bullies

14e_SoP_Alten | 2pp_Fiz_Alten | 1oCaz_Cpl_Alten

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:12 pm »
Your estimates for Napoleonic are quite low.

Yes, you  can get muskets for 500 but they are kinda rubbish quality, good ones are around 800-1200. Uniform for just 350 without making anything? Hell no. My shako cost me 150, my coat 180 and another 200 for trousers, a shirt and a waistcoat. And then you still need all the extra stuff, such as a cartridge pouch, a bayonet, fatigue cap and a backpack, to name a few.

Not trying to scare anyone off, but you need to have a good idea of what prices you are going to pay if you want to do Napoleonic reenactment.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 03, 2015, 10:45:42 pm »
Here in the good ol' America, Muskets goes from 800 and above.  Then ACW musket goes from 400 and above.  Don't do napoleonic in Arizona, that's just plain dumb. WATERLOO IN MIDDLE OF DESERT, QUICK EVERYONE HOLD THE OASIS.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 03, 2015, 10:48:32 pm »
Haha...
Yeah I can't imagine Napoleonic being any good in Arizona, its just not the climate and flora for it.