Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars World Cup 2018  (Read 313594 times)

Offline Phoen!x

• Major
  • RGL Inventor
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Napoleonic Wars World Cup 2018
« Reply #3225 on: August 29, 2018, 06:29:33 pm »
Just a question. Is it correct that Ireland after only having won against ‘bad’  teams in the worse bracket can now get to third place if they play a single good match against Germany which had to defeat many much better teams of the winner bracket including Ukraine in a ‘third place match’ to get to the same stage? How on earth would Ireland be deserving of this third place?

So youre saying if germany cant beat ireland that defeated a load of "bad" teams. Surely if germany lose vs ireland (That only defeated "bad" teams). Surely germany are less deserving.

Just a thought is all

Well here's the problem. That's not how it works or at least that's not how it works in any sport (not saying that this is a sport lol) that I'm familiar with. A third place is not achieved by winning a single match on one day. It's won by winning loads of matches. Germany had to win against the Netherlands and Chzechoslovakia in order to get to a position where they can challenge for a top 3 spot. Now why are these teams not given an opportunity to play for a top 3 spot? Because they did better than Ireland in the first place and as a result of this had to face better opposition which made them lose earlier? Doesnt make any sense to me. Also by your logic which is, if I understand correctly, the following: "if A beats B and B beats C then surely A is better than C", Germany should already have gotten their third place as they defeated Ukraine which beat Ireland. So again this match would give Ireland an unfair opportunity. You're basically arguing with the fact that Germany are favorites here and completely ignoring everything done by and other team.

Spoiler
Just want to clarify that Im not arguing because Germany are somehow afraid; to the contrary: lets play another match ! Its probably going to be fun. I just want to say that the logic behind this match doesnt make any sense to me and that the only reason no one has a problem with it is that Germany are favorites.
[close]

Well. What it looks like is that you're arguing against any Double elimination bracket....ever....  Its double elimination except instead of the winner of the secondary bracket getting another shot at the final, they get a shot at third place. Otherwise that would be a pisstake. The only difference is that Teams knocked out of the groupstage get another shot, instead of teams in the final stage getting another shot.

The reason this might seem stupid, is because we've never done double elimination/Secondary Brackets for NWWC before.  I 100% understand where you are coming from, but i made this clear right from the start and i heard no complaints back then, why am i hearing them now?

This Secondary bracket is new to NWWC, i introduced it to allow other teams to stay in the tournament and have more fun, instead of the weaker teams being knocked out instantly. If you have half a brain cell (not being insulting) then you would see from the bracket that ireland were going to make it to the final of the secondary bracket, so my question comes back to why you never brought this up a while back.

Well if you do double elimination without including teams that lose after the group stage (first round or QFs) then this is a fucking bad system for the reasons that I have stated in my comment. Teams like Chzechoslovakia and the Netherlands are better teams than Ireland, have performed better in the actual tournament and still end up with a worse result (if Ireland lose they still finish 4t right?). With this ruleset it would have been better for Chzechoslovakia for example to lose their group stage matches on purpose as it would basically have guaranteed them a top 4 spot.

My half a brain cell is complaining now (without wanting a change, I dont want to prevent the match as Im quite confident about our chances) because I wasnt concerned before and I had no clue about this rule as I hadnt read a single sentence of the ruleset just like basically everyone else. I would problably not complain if Germany had lost in the QFs or won in the SFs either as I wouldnt be concerned and just wouldnt know about it. However this doesnt discredit my argument in the slightest as I never asked for the match to be cancelled, I just stated an opinion on the ruleset.

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [G]
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3226 on: August 29, 2018, 06:43:01 pm »
Should have been one big bracket with 8 teams going through, but that would take too long or whatever. Main reason this NWWC was not as good as it could have been.

Offline Knightmare

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: August 29, 2018, 07:21:41 pm »
this NWWC was not as good as it could have been.
Hercules put a lot of time and money into making this the best possible NWWC for everyone

Offline Hercules

• First Lieutenant
  • Poosy Owner | 25th Member | NWWC 2018 Organiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: August 29, 2018, 07:24:49 pm »
There is no question that this third place match is a little silly. But can you please consider how bullshit some of the brackets were as Marxeil said "the group of death". Our group was the only group that had any close matches between more than 3 teams, lets be honest. And also how is it fair before the NWWC to clarify teams as "top teams" "Medium teams" etc.. and then organise them in to according brackets. Say Ireland were replaced with Spain that's a guarantee we are getting through the Group stages, Netherlands for instance they lost to Ukraine only 7 rounds they got?  I'm pretty sure we got 13 rounds France lost 12 rounds to Scotland lol? We only lost 7, again we actually beat Germany in practice and etc, I personally think it's unfair to make the groups based on nothing but the organisers decisions as to what teams are good and what are bad if brackets were in any different way Ireland would have been in the quarter finals, just my two cents. Besides it doesn't matter im not saying Ireland is a better team then some of the other teams that reached quarter finals and so on. What I am saying is if Ireland were treated as a "top team" in the bracket stages we would have 100% made it to quarter finals..

Duely noted.  Next time make sure to bring this up with the organsiers and make randomised brackets, and we will see England vs France in quarters, and Germany vs Poland in Quarters.  Nice 1. Sick idea.

Also im jsut trying to make it a little interesting for the latter of the good teams. So we'll leave the NWWC at that

GG

France = 1st Place
England = 2nd Place
Germany = 3rd Place
Ukraine = 4th Place.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:26:41 pm by Hercules »

Offline Nosswill

• General
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nosswill | Nr13
« Reply #3229 on: August 29, 2018, 07:30:46 pm »
Danke Fönix :(
Darkcore , the coke of noswill and moskito  .. Is their any places remaining in  your mouth ?
Ausser Exo, der wird gemutet.

Offline Hercules

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: August 29, 2018, 07:32:46 pm »
Just a question. Is it correct that Ireland after only having won against ‘bad’  teams in the worse bracket can now get to third place if they play a single good match against Germany which had to defeat many much better teams of the winner bracket including Ukraine in a ‘third place match’ to get to the same stage? How on earth would Ireland be deserving of this third place?

So youre saying if germany cant beat ireland that defeated a load of "bad" teams. Surely if germany lose vs ireland (That only defeated "bad" teams). Surely germany are less deserving.

Just a thought is all

Well here's the problem. That's not how it works or at least that's not how it works in any sport (not saying that this is a sport lol) that I'm familiar with. A third place is not achieved by winning a single match on one day. It's won by winning loads of matches. Germany had to win against the Netherlands and Chzechoslovakia in order to get to a position where they can challenge for a top 3 spot. Now why are these teams not given an opportunity to play for a top 3 spot? Because they did better than Ireland in the first place and as a result of this had to face better opposition which made them lose earlier? Doesnt make any sense to me. Also by your logic which is, if I understand correctly, the following: "if A beats B and B beats C then surely A is better than C", Germany should already have gotten their third place as they defeated Ukraine which beat Ireland. So again this match would give Ireland an unfair opportunity. You're basically arguing with the fact that Germany are favorites here and completely ignoring everything done by and other team.

Spoiler
Just want to clarify that Im not arguing because Germany are somehow afraid; to the contrary: lets play another match ! Its probably going to be fun. I just want to say that the logic behind this match doesnt make any sense to me and that the only reason no one has a problem with it is that Germany are favorites.
[close]

Well. What it looks like is that you're arguing against any Double elimination bracket....ever....  Its double elimination except instead of the winner of the secondary bracket getting another shot at the final, they get a shot at third place. Otherwise that would be a pisstake. The only difference is that Teams knocked out of the groupstage get another shot, instead of teams in the final stage getting another shot.

The reason this might seem stupid, is because we've never done double elimination/Secondary Brackets for NWWC before.  I 100% understand where you are coming from, but i made this clear right from the start and i heard no complaints back then, why am i hearing them now?

This Secondary bracket is new to NWWC, i introduced it to allow other teams to stay in the tournament and have more fun, instead of the weaker teams being knocked out instantly. If you have half a brain cell (not being insulting) then you would see from the bracket that ireland were going to make it to the final of the secondary bracket, so my question comes back to why you never brought this up a while back.

Well if you do double elimination without including teams that lose after the group stage (first round or QFs) then this is a fucking bad system for the reasons that I have stated in my comment. Teams like Chzechoslovakia and the Netherlands are better teams than Ireland, have performed better in the actual tournament and still end up with a worse result (if Ireland lose they still finish 4t right?). With this ruleset it would have been better for Chzechoslovakia for example to lose their group stage matches on purpose as it would basically have guaranteed them a top 4 spot.

My half a brain cell is complaining now (without wanting a change, I dont want to prevent the match as Im quite confident about our chances) because I wasnt concerned before and I had no clue about this rule as I hadnt read a single sentence of the ruleset just like basically everyone else. I would problably not complain if Germany had lost in the QFs or won in the SFs either as I wouldnt be concerned and just wouldnt know about it. However this doesnt discredit my argument in the slightest as I never asked for the match to be cancelled, I just stated an opinion on the ruleset.

1st. I wasn't specifically pointing that you have half a braincell at all. I apologise if it sounded that way, i'm just trying to put across the obvious that it wasn't a big surprise Ireland made 1st place in the secondary bracket.

Secondly. This tournament has been massive. Also its been a Long one.  The biggest NWWC we've had. As the organiser, who lets be honest, has been the only one really putting alot of effort into this years NWWC out of all the staff (Minus referees) have tried to make it as fun as possible.  I cannot see peoples mentality when they say to me they want random brackets.  It will end up like 2017 with such an anti-climactic final. Nobody wants that. All i heard off people when the brackets were announced was that these are extremely fair, nobody messaged me saying " i don't approve of these brackets". So the fact everyone is saying it now really just makes me laugh at how hard of sore losers you are.  England had one of the toughest groupstages and Final stages.  We went vs Germany ffs. i could've easily gave France team Germany but i didnt.  So i really dont see how anyone can take high ground and say they were shit brackets.  Next time if you have a problem, say it before you lose. not after.

Sorry Pheonix i completely went off you're point xD

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: August 29, 2018, 07:40:43 pm »
There is no question that this third place match is a little silly. But can you please consider how bullshit some of the brackets were as Marxeil said "the group of death". Our group was the only group that had any close matches between more than 3 teams, lets be honest. And also how is it fair before the NWWC to clarify teams as "top teams" "Medium teams" etc.. and then organise them in to according brackets. Say Ireland were replaced with Spain that's a guarantee we are getting through the Group stages, Netherlands for instance they lost to Ukraine only 7 rounds they got?  I'm pretty sure we got 13 rounds France lost 12 rounds to Scotland lol? We only lost 7, again we actually beat Germany in practice and etc, I personally think it's unfair to make the groups based on nothing but the organisers decisions as to what teams are good and what are bad if brackets were in any different way Ireland would have been in the quarter finals, just my two cents. Besides it doesn't matter im not saying Ireland is a better team then some of the other teams that reached quarter finals and so on. What I am saying is if Ireland were treated as a "top team" in the bracket stages we would have 100% made it to quarter finals..

Duely noted.  Next time make sure to bring this up with the organsiers and make randomised brackets, and we will see England vs France in quarters, and Germany vs Poland in Quarters.  Nice 1. Sick idea.

Also im jsut trying to make it a little interesting for the latter of the good teams. So we'll leave the NWWC at that

GG

France = 1st Place
England = 2nd Place
Germany = 3rd Place
Ukraine = 4th Place.

LOL that's not what I meant at all clearly you don't understand it. I meant that one big bracket would make far more sense??? ENGLAND vs France in quarters would never happen! you didn't even read what I said properly wow that is so stupid.

EDIT: In no way did I say random brackets? I said one bracket instead of just deciding who gets through early, that's not hard to understand that way every team has a chance to get through rather than say Ireland not getting as far as Spain but arguably being a better team it's not that hard to understand.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:42:34 pm by golden2 »

Offline Hercules

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: August 29, 2018, 07:42:43 pm »

GG

France = 1st Place
England = 2nd Place
Germany = 3rd Place
Ukraine = 4th Place.

LOL that's not what I meant at all clearly you don't understand it. I meant that one big bracket would make far more sense??? ENGLAND vs France in quarters would never happen! you didn't even read what I said properly wow that is so stupid.

Tbf i read that you think it's a silly idea. And i agree with you, was just trying to make it a bit more interesting :)

Edit: you basically did say that. You said its not fair to organise teams into brackets. How else would it happen?

I gtg. Lets save littering the forums and have this convo over steam when im back.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:44:43 pm by Hercules »

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: August 29, 2018, 07:45:23 pm »

GG

France = 1st Place
England = 2nd Place
Germany = 3rd Place
Ukraine = 4th Place.

Tbf i read that you think it's a silly idea. And i agree with you, was just trying to make it a bit more interesting :)

The third place yeah, but I'm talking about overall i'm not talking about random brackets i'm saying why have different groups in brackets anyway the only reason lets be honest that it was not one large bracket where every team gets to face each other and 8 teams go through is because of the time it would take. In addition to that in the quarter finals and so on it would literally be exactly the same except it would be more fair because every team had faced each other in the group stages.

Offline Phoen!x

• Major
  • RGL Inventor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: August 29, 2018, 09:48:01 pm »
Nonono lets play that match, its gonna be fun ! Im with you Herc that atleast the three main teams (Eng, Fra, Ger) should never play each other before the SFs. We all know all 3 of them are going to end up there most likely. Obviously you didnt favor England as, as you said, you made yourself face Germany in a very close match which you maybe could have lost on another day, so I dont think anyone would accuse you of being unfair in that regard.  Btw I want to congratulate you on doing a great job with this year's NWWC. As an organizer myself I know how much work you have put into it and it was the best organized NWWC we have had so far + it was a lot of fun to participate  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:01:12 pm by Phoen!x »

Offline Hercules

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: August 29, 2018, 10:06:57 pm »
Nonono lets play that match, its gonna be fun ! Im with you Herc that atleast the three main teams (Eng, Fra, Ger) should never play each other before the SFs. We all know all 3 of them are going to end up there most likely. Obviously you didnt favor England as, as you said, you made yourself face Germany in a very close match which you maybe could have lost on another day, so I dont think anyone would accuse you of being unfair in that regard.  Btw I want to congratulate you on doing a great job with this year's NWWC. As an organizer myself I know how much work you have put into it and it was the best organized NWWC we have had so far + it was a lot of fun to participate  :)

I appreciate it. If Germany are okay with it, and Ireland want to do it, then it can go ahead, as long as nobody is salty at whatever outcome appears

Tournesol

« Reply #3236 on: August 29, 2018, 11:13:21 pm »
When is the Mini NWWC ?

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
  • Actual 1v1-10v10 Champion.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 5x NWWC Champ Mbozz/Gontanker/Nut
« Reply #3237 on: August 29, 2018, 11:17:36 pm »
It's not normally for 6 months after NWWC.
I won lots of things, I came 2nd and 3rd in lots of things, I guess I did some other shit too........ I'm also an FSE legend, probably most commonly described as a cunt. If the shit I do doesn't make sense in your head, well fuck you because it makes sense in mine.

Which i did, against known and reputed player, some of them considered legend, such as, Mandarin, Ledger, Tiberias, Herishey, Hokej, Troister, Axiom, Evanovic, Stark, Eddie, Jammo, Bagins, Freddie, Python. I didn't had a good relationship with most of them, but i congratulate them for what they did, and i had pleasure facing them.

Tournesol

« Reply #3238 on: August 29, 2018, 11:41:09 pm »
It's not normally for 6 months after NWWC.

So no Mini NWWC in 2018 ??  :-X

We need one by the end of the year

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3239 on: August 30, 2018, 12:27:18 am »
this NWWC was not as good as it could have been.
Hercules put a lot of time and money into making this the best possible NWWC for everyone