Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars World Cup 2018  (Read 313626 times)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Napoleonic Wars World Cup 2018
« Reply #3210 on: August 26, 2018, 05:16:03 pm »
Small steps Adam

Small steps

Offline Phoen!x

• Major
  • RGL Inventor
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3211 on: August 29, 2018, 01:11:01 am »
Just a question. Is it correct that Ireland after only having won against ‘bad’  teams in the worse bracket can now get to third place if they play a single good match against Germany which had to defeat many much better teams of the winner bracket including Ukraine in a ‘third place match’ to get to the same stage? How on earth would Ireland be deserving of this third place?

Offline Hercules

• First Lieutenant
  • Poosy Owner | 25th Member | NWWC 2018 Organiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: August 29, 2018, 03:05:23 am »
Just a question. Is it correct that Ireland after only having won against ‘bad’  teams in the worse bracket can now get to third place if they play a single good match against Germany which had to defeat many much better teams of the winner bracket including Ukraine in a ‘third place match’ to get to the same stage? How on earth would Ireland be deserving of this third place?

So youre saying if germany cant beat ireland that defeated a load of "bad" teams. Surely if germany lose vs ireland (That only defeated "bad" teams). Surely germany are less deserving.

Just a thought is all

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: August 29, 2018, 10:11:03 am »
Anything can happen in one match. It would be like playing Man City against Sunderland and then giving the title to Sunderland because they won via a 90th minute own goal or something.

Offline MarxeiL

• Lieutenant General
  • Cvet nastroenija - serij, samij skuchnij
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 13e | CCCP
« Reply #3214 on: August 29, 2018, 10:32:01 am »
It's not only about Germany though.

Ukraine - beat Switzerland & Austria, Italy, Romania, Czechoslovakia, Ireland, 1st place in group of death. Then beat Netherlands in Quarters and lost to France with Germany.

Ireland - beat Swtizerland & Austria, Italy, Romania lost to Czechoslovakia, Ukraine, didn't get out of the group stage, made it to "secondary bracket". Got default win against Canada, beat Scotland and again beat Switzerland & Austria.

Does it literally make them deserve TOP-4 spot more than Ukraine, as example? That's a bit stupid though.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:17:39 pm by Sir-Follkas »
| 1x 10v10 Winner | 2x 9v9 Winner | 2x 8v8 Winner | 1x 7v7 Winner | 1x 6v6 Winner | 2x 5v5 Winner | 1x 4v4 Winner | 1x 3v3 Winner |
| 1x TDT Winner | 1x NWL (2nd L) Winner | 1x NWL (1st L) Winner | 1x RGT Winner | 2x RGL Winner |
| 1x TDT Runner-up | 1x 8v8 Runner-up | 1x 7v7 Runner-up | 1x NWFL Runner-up | 1x EIC Runner-up | 1x 2v2 Runner-up |

Offline Ry@n

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18th_Col
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nick:Nick:Nick:Nick:
« Reply #3215 on: August 29, 2018, 01:14:53 pm »
Just take the L  :) ;)

Offline Nero_

• Lieutenant General
  • fatal not fictitious
    • View Profile
  • Nick: wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
« Reply #3216 on: August 29, 2018, 01:29:46 pm »
Team NL should've gone out in groups, easiest top 4 ever

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #3217 on: August 29, 2018, 01:39:51 pm »

I know right

No offense but not quite the double elimination format EVERYONE wanted
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Ry@n

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18th_Col
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nick:Nick:Nick:Nick:
« Reply #3218 on: August 29, 2018, 01:40:21 pm »

200IQ tactics mate, you think we lost by accident... Pfffff don't be silly

Offline Phoen!x

• Major
  • RGL Inventor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: August 29, 2018, 03:39:45 pm »

So youre saying if germany cant beat ireland that defeated a load of "bad" teams. Surely if germany lose vs ireland (That only defeated "bad" teams). Surely germany are less deserving.

Just a thought is all

Well here's the problem. That's not how it works or at least that's not how it works in any sport (not saying that this is a sport lol) that I'm familiar with. A third place is not achieved by winning a single match on one day. It's won by winning loads of matches. Germany had to win against the Netherlands and Chzechoslovakia in order to get to a position where they can challenge for a top 3 spot. Now why are these teams not given an opportunity to play for a top 3 spot? Because they did better than Ireland in the first place and as a result of this had to face better opposition which made them lose earlier? Doesnt make any sense to me. Also by your logic which is, if I understand correctly, the following: "if A beats B and B beats C then surely A is better than C", Germany should already have gotten their third place as they defeated Ukraine which beat Ireland. So again this match would give Ireland an unfair opportunity. You're basically arguing with the fact that Germany are favorites here and completely ignoring everything done by and other team.

Spoiler
Just want to clarify that Im not arguing because Germany are somehow afraid; to the contrary: lets play another match ! Its probably going to be fun. I just want to say that the logic behind this match doesnt make any sense to me and that the only reason no one has a problem with it is that Germany are favorites.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:44:03 pm by Phoen!x »

Offline Salakien

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Execute order 66 .
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Doublebread´s husband basically.
« Reply #3220 on: August 29, 2018, 04:00:16 pm »

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3221 on: August 29, 2018, 04:56:57 pm »
Germany is afraid that all these guns I've been buying off them since 1916 gonna show up and pop em all

Offline Hercules

• First Lieutenant
  • Poosy Owner | 25th Member | NWWC 2018 Organiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: August 29, 2018, 05:48:46 pm »

Just a thought is all

Well here's the problem. That's not how it works or at least that's not how it works in any sport (not saying that this is a sport lol) that I'm familiar with. A third place is not achieved by winning a single match on one day. It's won by winning loads of matches. Germany had to win against the Netherlands and Chzechoslovakia in order to get to a position where they can challenge for a top 3 spot. Now why are these teams not given an opportunity to play for a top 3 spot? Because they did better than Ireland in the first place and as a result of this had to face better opposition which made them lose earlier? Doesnt make any sense to me. Also by your logic which is, if I understand correctly, the following: "if A beats B and B beats C then surely A is better than C", Germany should already have gotten their third place as they defeated Ukraine which beat Ireland. So again this match would give Ireland an unfair opportunity. You're basically arguing with the fact that Germany are favorites here and completely ignoring everything done by and other team.

Spoiler
Just want to clarify that Im not arguing because Germany are somehow afraid; to the contrary: lets play another match ! Its probably going to be fun. I just want to say that the logic behind this match doesnt make any sense to me and that the only reason no one has a problem with it is that Germany are favorites.
[close]

Well. What it looks like is that you're arguing against any Double elimination bracket....ever....  Its double elimination except instead of the winner of the secondary bracket getting another shot at the final, they get a shot at third place. Otherwise that would be a pisstake. The only difference is that Teams knocked out of the groupstage get another shot, instead of teams in the final stage getting another shot.

The reason this might seem stupid, is because we've never done double elimination/Secondary Brackets for NWWC before.  I 100% understand where you are coming from, but i made this clear right from the start and i heard no complaints back then, why am i hearing them now?

This Secondary bracket is new to NWWC, i introduced it to allow other teams to stay in the tournament and have more fun, instead of the weaker teams being knocked out instantly. If you have half a brain cell (not being insulting) then you would see from the bracket that ireland were going to make it to the final of the secondary bracket, so my question comes back to why you never brought this up a while back.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: August 29, 2018, 06:10:20 pm »
The difference being that in double elimination where a team gets another attempt at the championship, the upper bracket team usually starts with some kind of advantage. I.e in CSGO they'd have a map win coming into the game.

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [G]
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3224 on: August 29, 2018, 06:28:19 pm »
There is no question that this third place match is a little silly. But can you please consider how bullshit some of the brackets were as Marxeil said "the group of death". Our group was the only group that had any close matches between more than 3 teams, lets be honest. And also how is it fair before the NWWC to clarify teams as "top teams" "Medium teams" etc.. and then organise them in to according brackets. Say Ireland were replaced with Spain that's a guarantee we are getting through the Group stages, Netherlands for instance they lost to Ukraine only 7 rounds they got?  I'm pretty sure we got 13 rounds France lost 12 rounds to Scotland lol? We only lost 7, again we actually beat Germany in practice and etc, I personally think it's unfair to make the groups based on nothing but the organisers decisions as to what teams are good and what are bad if brackets were in any different way Ireland would have been in the quarter finals, just my two cents. Besides it doesn't matter im not saying Ireland is a better team then some of the other teams that reached quarter finals and so on. What I am saying is if Ireland were treated as a "top team" in the bracket stages we would have 100% made it to quarter finals..