Author Topic: Back Packs at Waterloo  (Read 610 times)

Offline BattlePlayer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Back Packs at Waterloo
« on: August 04, 2020, 12:40:25 am »
Does anyone know  if the Back Packs  worn by the  KGL  fighting from the La Haye Sainte, would have been left on during the fighting or taken off  - if they were taken off  would they just have been left somewere or left around on the floor  anywere?

Offline [2ndHess] lukasoh

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Back Packs at Waterloo
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:01:47 am »
The backpacks were like 20 kg, so I guess they were taken off. The KGL spend some time there, so they had at least food and water with them. Of course I cant be 100% sure but I think they had the most important stuff with them, probably even a tent and their blanket for the night, as they didnt knew when the frenchies will arrive and if they go straight to a battle with british army.
Still, wrong place to Post this. Historical discussion should be your place.

Offline AlJThire

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2ndKGL_Capt_Thire
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Back Packs at Waterloo
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 04:23:40 pm »
The backpacks were like 20 kg, so I guess they were taken off. The KGL spend some time there, so they had at least food and water with them. Of course I cant be 100% sure but I think they had the most important stuff with them, probably even a tent and their blanket for the night, as they didnt knew when the frenchies will arrive and if they go straight to a battle with british army.
Still, wrong place to Post this. Historical discussion should be your place.

According to Brandan Simms on the subject, the KGL at La Haye Sainte had very little food, there's accounts of soldiers stealing handfulls of peas to feed themselves and their friends, Ontop of this, Wellington ordered that no man be allowed to use his blankets, as they needed to be ready to repell a sneaky beaky froggy attack at any moment. but yeah, their packs were left somewhere that they could find them, and were only picked up when it was time for what was left of the 2LB to abandon the farm.