Author Topic: Developer Blog 28 - Napoleonic Wars Patch 1.2  (Read 50500 times)

Online Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 28 - Napoleonic Wars Patch 1.2
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2018, 07:05:25 am »
I agree, you should probably spoiler those images though.

Offline ScreechingSeagull

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2018, 07:14:00 am »
I agree, you should probably spoiler those images though.

Fixed, thanks for the reminder
Max characters: 1000; characters remaining: 889
Images in your signature must be no greater than 600x200 pixels

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2018, 07:27:55 am »
Initial thoughts regarding the sapper changes:

The new unconstructed props for the large chevaux and sandbags provide no context with regards to their width. This makes it harder to layout a fort (useful when working w/ other sappers) and increases the difficulty for newer players. Note that the new unconstructed fence prop DOES provide an indicator of its width.
Spoiler
[close]
When building a second layer of sandbags, the small visual prop of the sandbag does not indicate to me whether I am "overshooting" the distance or not. Under enemy fire and pressure, this frustration will be exasperated.
Spoiler
[close]
I request that the unconstructed props for large chevaux and sandbags be updated to indicate the width of the constructed prop.

The hitbox to construct the fence, large chevaux and sandbag are now significantly reduced to the centre area. When under enemy fire, I will dance around while building to avoid fire. Limiting the hitbox area makes my behavior while building more predictable -> harder to sap and build defences for my team.
I request that the hitbox area for building to be restored to its pre-patch state.

The 2 second delay between placing props is obviously to prevent spamming. However, the implementation is not ideal. It returns the message "You cannot place this prop here". This message while factually correct, does not indicate to me whether I really can't place the prop here, or if it is just the time restriction.
Spoiler
[close]
I would go as far to say that the modification to sapper props and planks in particular fixes the problem of sapper spam, and that the 2 second delay is too much of a handicap. I work my butt off to shave off every half-second I can when building to be as BP efficient, fast, and effective as possible. I see this 2 second delay hurting sappers more than spammers themselves.
I request that the 2 second delay be removed, OR
at the very least, for the failure message for the delay to be changed to "X seconds before you can place a prop" and for that message to be displayed in an orange colour to distinguish itself from the other error message.

i cant really comment on the first stuff. 

as for the message, i can look into seeing if we can have 2, one for the time, and one for the other error. 

im not going to say we are doing a hotfix as idk 100% if we will.(not my call)  certainly there are some things to fix. 

as for the time delay between planting stuff.  that will stay.  the time between planting stuff can be possibly adjusted.  anyways, i will point out, outside of planks, you can plant then build, which takes longer than the time to wait for you to be able to plant another con prop.   

so i just found out that you can be KNOCKED OFF your horse. this is  >:( ABSURD  >:(

i have no idea why such a change would happen in the first place. no need to ruin what has stayed the same since i bought the game in TWO-THOUSAND and TWELVE. pointless nerf that just makes cavalry less fun and ruins cavalry groupfighting. completely uncalled for.
it can be turned off in the admin panel. 

If it's a random chance of getting knocked off your horse then it ruins cavalry, but if there's a way to avoid it, we can see about preventing it. Main question from me is, how do you get knocked off your horse?
take a certain amount of damage and there is a chance you can get knocked off.    i don't recall off hand what the exact damage is needed for it to possibly trigger. 

I heard it was 15% chance to get knocked off if your person takes 20 points of damage or more. I do not understand why this was changed or added back in. I think it gives too much variability to cav. Say for example it was me as a hussar vs another good hussar and we wanted to fight and see who is better. This does a lot when it comes to skill vs skill. Especially if it's not just a friendly match, but a serious competition like much of EU has. That 15% of randomness can make or break it for teams or players in tournaments or leagues. I think it takes away more fun than it adds.
it can be turned off in the admin panel. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Dipington

• Second Lieutenant
  • The Eternal Francophone
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2ndUSSS Cpt
  • Side: Union
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2018, 08:26:49 am »
Then NA_Cav_GF is going to need to have that permanently disabled then

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2018, 09:07:36 am »
Then NA_Cav_GF is going to need to have that permanently disabled then
that is fine, talk to the person running the server.

don't forget to disable ranged weapons.  means dragoons cant shoot. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

Offline BlackFysh

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DeLaitre
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2018, 10:03:13 am »
What gave rise to the idea that if a cavalryman was injured he had a chance to get knocked off of his horse?  In terms of game mechanics I think it is downright silly.  Cavalry are already a melee only unit in a game largely consisting of large lines of rifles.  Even on NA1, it is cancerous bullshit.  Why mess with cavalry mechanics that have been the same since 2012?  Was cavalry overpowered or something? I always got he impression that cavalry was on par with infantry pending skill. 

Offline BrokenCrayon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Diarmuid
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2018, 11:01:23 am »
I understand you changed Manoeuvrability for Medium and Heavy horses, however has the lancer horse been changed in any way? Just doesn't feel the same to me.
the best of the best, getting fucked by some monkeys with sticks.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2018, 11:25:45 am »
I understand you changed Manoeuvrability for Medium and Heavy horses, however has the lancer horse been changed in any way? Just doesn't feel the same to me.
to my knowledge we didn't touch those lancer  horses.   

What gave rise to the idea that if a cavalryman was injured he had a chance to get knocked off of his horse?  In terms of game mechanics I think it is downright silly.  Cavalry are already a melee only unit in a game largely consisting of large lines of rifles.  Even on NA1, it is cancerous bullshit.  Why mess with cavalry mechanics that have been the same since 2012?  Was cavalry overpowered or something? I always got he impression that cavalry was on par with infantry pending skill. 
it was a mechanic that was in the game for many many years.  it just never worked.  It was fixed.  if you think it should of never been made in the first place, then that isn't a discussion i can have.(im not going to get into that anyways)  I wasn't around when they decided to make it.  However, i can say that leaving it and other stuff in the admin panel that never worked didn't make sense either.  Seeing as you can turn it off in the admin panel, its fine.   Server owners can decide what they want to have it at.(like 0)

i will decide if its a setting i want to keep on NA1, 2, 3 and 4 or not.  i will probably make a decision when i wake up tomorrow.   i want to sleep on it.

Offline jacoblee

• Volunteer
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2018, 11:54:58 am »
reads patch notes about old obselete game..

and no fucks were given --------

now where is the game you promised us SIX FUCKING YEARS AGO?!

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2018, 11:56:00 am »
6 years ago? Not sure where you are on about matey!

Offline jacoblee

• Volunteer
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2018, 11:57:21 am »

they announced BCOF in late 2012

so it is 6 years, bae

Online John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2018, 12:02:55 pm »
Melee should feel smoother yes.

About the arty pick up issue.. please test more in more ways and we will look into it if you can reliablity recreate it.
Was able to recreate on Rheinbund, Prussia and Russia, only happened on average 2/5 times trying on each faction. Me and 2 of my NCO's were able to recreate it.

UK and FRA seemed to be fine. Although it may be a thing.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2018, 12:33:08 pm »

they announced BCOF in late 2012

so it is 6 years, bae
Oeh, it has been that long. Time flies by.  :'(

Offline Maurice

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2018, 12:56:33 pm »
I agree with Tiberias that melee now feels heavy. The game feels like I have V-Sync enabled and I actually had to check that the update hadn't reset my configuration, which it hadn't. I also do not play NW in windowed mode.

Also, while I'm mainly referring to the situation regarding the Groupfighting Server, some of the changes that were applied such as shooting scripts, welcome messages, anti-hacks, admin whitelisting and removing the message for cheating were already present on most NW servers that needed them. They were provided by players for free and made in their spare time. I think they should have some acknowledgement for the work they did whilst the FSE devs remained silent on patches and fixes for which the community has been asking for a few years now. Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen any thanks from FSE to people providing scripts whilst the devs were dormant with regard to NW patching.

While I'm grateful that a lot of the issues have been addressed and repaired, so far it has created more problems than it has solved in terms of gameplay. The changes to melee right in the middle of NWFL, NWL and RGL is baffling to be honest. For someone like me with an upsetting amount of hours on NW, it will take some time to re-adjust.

Thanks for patch, but, no thanks :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:11:38 pm by Maurice »

Online John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2018, 01:00:02 pm »
I completely agree, melee does feel very heavy now. Also poking seems to be worse than before? Before it felt more like Pokes were annoying just at the worst of timings, whereas now its always there?
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.