Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231555 times)

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #1410 on: October 07, 2014, 11:43:04 pm »
Thats brilliant, the night picture looks amazing, very nice bivouac. Straw, a Napoleonic reenactor's best friend. 

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #1411 on: October 07, 2014, 11:48:32 pm »
Gum blankets in Europe? :P  Not at that time, no.

Anyway, I found some nice pics. Wish I was there.

Spoiler

[close]

This would never happen in the Netherlands, the authorities would start bitching about fire safety with all that straw and branches.
I had an event in which we stayed on stone and they already bitched to us about fire safety. I mean seriously, what is there to torch if you have nothing but stone and brikcs around you.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1412 on: October 07, 2014, 11:57:44 pm »
Tried my hand at making some cartridges today, how'd I do?

Quite a large image
[close]

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: October 08, 2014, 12:24:56 am »

Quite a large image
[close]

Look ok to me

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1414 on: October 08, 2014, 12:42:09 am »
Oh, just because I don't reenact means I cannot post here? Seems fair. It's cool that you guys reenact but sometimes you act like some sort of "master race." Insulting and shunning people away who aren't 110% historically accurate or correct when they reenact and aren't "superior" like you guys. You also assume that people who haven't dedicated their time and money to reenacting know nothing about it.

This is not directed to everyone who posts here, only a select few who believe that they are "better" than everyone else because they have the time and money to always be historically accurate when they reenact. And apparently have "infinite knowledge" when it comes to this stuff.

I have been to several Civl War reenactments as a spectator, but I have never participated because I don't have the time or money for it.

He's not saying people who don't reenact aren't allowed to post - merely people who are stirring things up with no real contribution at all. Anyway, maybe if you learned to ride a horse instead of beating off to them all day you'd have something more to say in this thread.

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #1415 on: October 08, 2014, 12:43:27 am »

Quite a large image
[close]

Nice ! But quite thick paper, don't loose a theeth when you take it (as one guy of my group did :P )

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: October 08, 2014, 01:04:02 am »
I like how you guys avoid sleeping without tent because of the damp.

While wool blanket is there to keep you warm and gum blanket to keep you dry.  Now before you try fight back by saying nap war is way earlier than ACW. My buddy Brent sitz does Rev War and he too has a rubberized ground sheet. So, you telling me that nap war decided to drop that certain piece of equipment?

Yes, definitely. No such items were ever issued to French (or Dutch) units.

Sucks to be the losers (except the Dutch, luv 'em) 

Must be limited to the Crown's Force I guess. Now since rubber blanket don't exist for the "Frenchies" what do you use to cover the ground then in the tent? The morning dew still will be there anyway.

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #1417 on: October 08, 2014, 01:19:05 am »

Quite a large image
[close]

Nice ! But quite thick paper, don't loose a theeth when you take it (as one guy of my group did :P )

Yeah I tore open the first one I made to get a feel for it, I just had to flip that top flap up or bite below it and I was fine. :P

22/150 done by Saturday. (phone picture quality is pretty poop.)
[close]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:26:45 am by Newkirk »

Offline Crescent Glow

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: October 08, 2014, 03:21:48 am »
Oh, just because I don't reenact means I cannot post here? Seems fair. It's cool that you guys reenact but sometimes you act like some sort of "master race." Insulting and shunning people away who aren't 110% historically accurate or correct when they reenact and aren't "superior" like you guys. You also assume that people who haven't dedicated their time and money to reenacting know nothing about it.

This is not directed to everyone who posts here, only a select few who believe that they are "better" than everyone else because they have the time and money to always be historically accurate when they reenact. And apparently have "infinite knowledge" when it comes to this stuff.

I have been to several Civl War reenactments as a spectator, but I have never participated because I don't have the time or money for it.

He's not saying people who don't reenact aren't allowed to post - merely people who are stirring things up with no real contribution at all. Anyway, maybe if you learned to ride a horse instead of beating off to them all day you'd have something more to say in this thread.

That's exactly what he was saying.

Also, if you don't reenact, gtfo...

I wasn't stirring up anything in the first place, it began with a discussion regarding how people camp out during reenactments. The insults began flying when people had conflicting ideas on how they do it. Maybe if you actually looked at the past few pages and read all the posts instead of directly insulting me merely because of the kinds of shows I watch; you would have known what happened and wouldn't behave like such a bigot. I honestly don't understand why you felt it was necessary to post such things, you weren't involved in the discussion at all and don't have a place on this thread if you are going to post such disrespectful things.

I have plenty to say. Once again, if you read the past pages instead of verbally assaulting me with your screwed-up notion of what a fan of MLP is you would know.

It's all in the past anyway, we should just move on and let people enjoy their hobby without ignorant people insulting fellow forum-users.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:36:12 am by Pineapple »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: October 08, 2014, 04:29:22 am »
You're right.

Let me introduce you to the reenacting side of the community

Insulting each other authenticity, pretty much 80% of what the hobby is about, 20% is about re-living the past.

Enjoy discussing and chatting with reenactors bud. Have a good one.  ;)

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: October 08, 2014, 04:33:06 am »
You're right.

Insulting each other authenticity, pretty much 80% of what the hobby is about, 20% is about re-living the past.

Enjoy discussing and chatting with reenactors bud. Have a good one.  ;)

1+
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #1421 on: October 08, 2014, 05:32:31 am »
True. Everyone in thread confirmed for farbs.

Is gum stuff the same as impregnated linen/canvas? That's what tends to be used for Medieval tents, dunno about other periods, but I guess it may used for groundsheets too, unless it gets mouldy as fuck.

A guy in my group doesn't even bother with groundsheets though, just has a bedroll and straw mattress and deals with the condensation.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 08, 2014, 05:46:35 am »
True. Everyone in thread confirmed for farbs.

Is gum stuff the same as impregnated linen/canvas? That's what tends to be used for Medieval tents, dunno about other periods, but I guess it may used for groundsheets too, unless it gets mouldy as fuck.

A guy in my group doesn't even bother with groundsheets though, just has a bedroll and straw mattress and deals with the condensation.

Gum blanket is basically canvas with one side that's rubberized or painted linen so yeah basically.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 08, 2014, 10:09:44 am »
You're right.

That's not what all of us try too do, some of us actually try to have polite discussion.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: October 08, 2014, 10:22:45 am »
Gotta love Yank Reenactors