Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231469 times)

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #1365 on: October 05, 2014, 11:38:50 pm »
He mean some group who does everything opposite of the 21e "De la Farbs".

You know like.....dare I say? Authentic? :O

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1366 on: October 05, 2014, 11:50:06 pm »
Well I suppose the example of what I mean in ACW is a majority of reenacters dont eat period rations, dont authentically live like soldiers on campaign and so on. I have never seen any photos of NW reenacters "bivouacking" in the same manner that I see in paintings or read in first hand accounts.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #1367 on: October 05, 2014, 11:54:23 pm »
Well I suppose the example of what I mean in ACW is a majority of reenacters dont eat period rations, dont authentically live like soldiers on campaign and so on. I have never seen any photos of NW reenacters "bivouacking" in the same manner that I see in paintings or read in first hand accounts.

We do this in Europe (in the 18e), we are bivouaking sometimes under a tent, sometimes only in the straw with a blanket. We are doing fire with only what we find around, and we are eating what we brought in our bags (mostly meat on the fire, bread and wiiiine).

I will send you when I have time some pictures :)

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #1368 on: October 06, 2014, 12:05:44 am »
I've seen a few bivouacs, there were a few at Montmirail, years ago 21e members bivouacked in their younger years.

Here's one at Montmirail. 

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:23:18 pm by Mr T »

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1369 on: October 06, 2014, 07:44:07 pm »
some groups are doing it (well,  they forget about it in the night :D ) . One very well known is the 22. demi and some guys of the ostpreußische Landwehr or the badische jäger are doin it too

http://www.demi-brigade.org/

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #1370 on: October 07, 2014, 12:38:12 pm »
I wont mind doing it either, but doing it alone is stupid and doesn't work.
I also don't like to freeze, so during summer I wont mind at all, but in Winter, i am not entirely sure I like the idea.

Though then again, it is probably much warmer to sleep next to the fire than sleeping in your tent.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 07, 2014, 12:49:21 pm »
I'd do bivouacking as well, but yeah as long as someone else would do it with me, think it requires a combined effort to pull it off successfully, though I need to buy a period tent first and other stuff I need for camp life.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 07, 2014, 02:17:46 pm »
You actually don't need a tent for bivouacking. A bivouac itself refers to sleeping without a tent, with a encampment being a place where you 'camp down' for a longer period of time.

Here's a picture of a bivouac of the Dutch heavy cavalry in the summer of 1815, near Paris, with British forces encamped in the background.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 07, 2014, 03:31:50 pm »
I know what a bivoac is, but I need a tent anyway for when not doing a bivuac

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 07, 2014, 04:35:09 pm »
I like how you guys responded with "oh yeah, sometime"  "Sure but until the night"  "Yeah but i need tents first"

All of you are bunch of pussies seriously.

In ACW, everyone doing campaigner for 3 day straight. Hell there is even a hardcore campaigner event that will span two weekend and one week straight.  I seriously believe progressive attitude in napoleonic is half-assed. You ain't progressive until you do it from Friday to Sunday. It's seriously not that hard. Just get a group that's actually smart and willing. Half of you already got that. Just do it! Get out there and and earn your man-card.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: October 07, 2014, 04:44:12 pm »
I like how you guys responded with "oh yeah, sometime"  "Sure but until the night"  "Yeah but i need tents first"

In ACW, everyone doing campaigner for 3 day straight. Hell there is even a hardcore campaigner event that will span two weekend and one week straight.  I seriously believe progressive attitude in napoleonic is half-assed. You ain't progressive until you do it from Friday to Sunday. It's seriously not that hard. Just get a group that's actually smart and willing. Half of you already got that. Just do it! Get out there and and earn your man-card.

Fuck off and do it yourself then and stop acting like you're better than everyone else.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 07, 2014, 04:49:04 pm »

Fuck off and do it yourself then and stop acting like you're better than everyone else.

Bitch please. Especially you, grow some balls.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #1377 on: October 07, 2014, 04:49:33 pm »

He has a point though. A small tweak here and there and you get a place that is quite near as comfortable as a regular tent with modern equipment. You just spend more time preparing it, and the great advantage of modern equipment is is that it's more durable and can be packed to take with you. But since you people seem to be staying in one position for a longer period (if I am correct), it pays off to make a real shed or improvised tent.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Crescent Glow

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 07, 2014, 04:49:55 pm »

Can you even fit in a tent?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #1379 on: October 07, 2014, 04:50:53 pm »
Spoiler

[close]
Can you even fit in a tent?

Unlike some people, he actually tries and do it.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.