Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 233303 times)

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #600 on: May 06, 2014, 12:20:56 am »
bla bla bla bla bla

there go duuring...........

/pokes at floor above me  and shouts at duuring for making to much noise up there again
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #601 on: May 06, 2014, 12:22:27 am »
Yeah. Funny.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 06, 2014, 12:38:03 am »
Funny question to ask, first of all why do you have himmler avatar? 

Secondly, America DO see them as beacon of evil. Dont be silly duuring. When Europe got fucked, where do those people go? They come to America, we have thousand of refeugee coming in and creating thousand of generation in US. In school they dont teach us about the war. They spend weeks focusing on holocaust. They focused on it so much that it once drove me ashamed to be German and i used black marker to cover up the German flag on my West German jacket. Silly i know right...but that's how serious we are being taught about the war crime of 3rd reich.

Duuring, my Great grandmother went through auschwitz, you don't see me whining or judging the Germans for it.

Heres why I do Heer. I grew up with fascination of German uniform and equipment. American uniform looked like shit/junk compared to Heer. The fact that I can get in that uniform, dig a foxhole and wait to be shot at is a wonderful way to learn what was it like for a ordinary soldier in WW2. It is a educational trip for me, as a historian, you know the battle and couple gears, as a reenactor, you know every shit that went on field and how they were carried out. A historian wont tell you how they marched in German, a reenactor would.

Now About that "admiration" part. Nobody is admiring the Reich. That shit get you immediate ban from having membership. And there are shitton of Europeans doing WW2 trust me. Shitton, it just they don't have amendment one protecting them. So it is usually a super secret or modified (removing all nazi symbol). Nazi symbol being publicly shown get you in jail in Europe while in America, you just face angry mob, higher risk of not having a job (they check your facebook upon applying for jobs), but not the federal.  That's why you see more ww2 stuff coming out of NA than EU.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
« Reply #603 on: May 06, 2014, 12:44:53 am »
Never saw a problem with people reenacting the Wermacht.

As long as it isn't the Totenkopfverbände, if I see someone "reenacting" them... well you know, blank magazines and real ones look so alike...
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 06, 2014, 12:48:00 am »
Definately, i would have HUGE problem if anyone reenact camp guard.  One guy did post his camp guard impression on a fb page once. Boy huge shit storm came and knocked him out.

I mean yes historically, as war went, Germany were low on men, so camp guard acted as reserve, and they were called up to reinforce SS unit on the front. So he was reenacting as those guys.

But still distasteful and offensive to reenact a camp guard. 100% a big NO NO in my book.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 06, 2014, 12:52:42 am »
There's still a difference between having a part of the population, and the nation as its entirety. It's memories. Places. The fact we still find unexploded bombs from the war. WW2 happened in Europa and in Asia. Not so much in the USA. You can't deny that the American population had a very different experience to WW2 then the British, Dutch, German or any other European/Asian population.

Nazi symbol being publicly shown get you in jail in Europe

No it doesn't. It's banned in Germany only.

Apart from that, please do not take my post personally. It was seriously not meant that way. I respect re-enactors who do it for the history or experience. It was meant more to those BAZILLION Americans posted facebook pictures of themselves in SS uniforms 'GUYS LOOK HOW COOL WE LOOK OMGGGGG'. 'CAN'T HAVE COWBOYS WITHOUT INDIANS LOLOLOL'. Screw that. Seriously, screw that. Fuck people who defend Nazi Germany or bring up excuses. Bleh.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 06, 2014, 01:03:16 am »
Eh, for every hero there needs to be a villain. One can't really be angry at people for being pissed at German reenactors, I mean look at this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmqwtsuDkQM[/youtube]

You realize how much shit these guys got right? Don't be so intent on believing that America's very kind of Uncle Adolf.

Speaking of which, maybe reenacting the Britisches Freikorps would be interesting...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:07:44 am by ClearlyInvsible »
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 06, 2014, 01:21:18 am »
Zac does British Freikorp 

Also Duuring, its banned in France as well. 

Also great video, really sum up it well. I wasn't a fan of that party though, first of all. The host Scott Steben apparently had nazi tattoos and totenkopf clothing item. That kind of thing usually get you kicked out of the unit right away. And having the Reich Battle Flag and Swastika flag all over the place is just too much. Anyone can snap a few pic and boom. Shit storm which clearly just happened. I have been to a German club dinner once before a event. We were invited to attend in uniform, there was no flags, no ww2 theme stuff going on, just locals and several reenactors dining together and chat away about the war or why the fucking Blackhawks are on loosing streak. 

Edit: o BTW, because of that event. My unit established new rule thus banning any clothing item with swastika being worn out of event perimeter.  'Tis a good rule.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 06, 2014, 01:26:18 am »
I'm still trying to find a good WWII unit in the Northeast, everyone here's either a Kraut, a Brit or a pasta dealer.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 06, 2014, 01:36:09 am »
Zac does British Freikorp 

Zac is weird.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 06, 2014, 01:50:08 am »
I'm still trying to find a good WWII unit in the Northeast, everyone here's either a Kraut, a Brit or a pasta dealer.

"pasta dealer" lol.

Here's couple of cents of mine. Chose whatever you want, remember you are paying money for it. So be sure to pick a impression that you will treat it like a baby.

However, I do encourage you to do ordinary infantry as possible. There's kinda a shortage of those guys. (Kraut - Heer, US - Infantry, British - Infantry derp, Canadians - Generally very small, so canadians would be badass way to go) Yeah, basically we have too many SS'ers going around making orgy with camo, too many Fallschrimjaegers cuz they wanna be "elite", good ol heer is needin' members.  Same goes for US, everyone wanna be 506th Easy Company, join the Infantry instead.

But, if you truly desire to be a paratrooper, go for it. It's your money. 

Also http://www.501stpir.com/reenactingorgunits.html

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 06, 2014, 02:14:24 am »
God. Damn. It. No. Mass. Units. For. Canada.

I actually really want to do Canada, but I can't find anything QQ

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #612 on: May 06, 2014, 02:27:11 am »
Oh yes, reenact the Canadian or Scottish troops that liberated my home city.
We still have a Scottish event (bagpipe music and stuff) once a year in honor of the Scottish troops who captured and (during the cold) war established a base here.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #613 on: May 06, 2014, 02:58:08 am »
Chill out!

Now, Hoogstraten was amazing, the 85e people were super friendly and welcoming and I had a great time in their ranks.
I will surely join them for more events.

I will post some pics later when their all up.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 06, 2014, 03:13:24 am »
Hehe, Sorry

Haha ye, a few Aussies heading over there also, heard it was great :D