Author Topic: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod  (Read 146213 times)

Offline Artwo

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 25th_Smlk_mjr_Artwo
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod. Need help, especially with scripts
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2015, 02:04:04 pm »
Прекрасно! Как мне нравится.
Поставил бы подобные текстуры на NW  :)

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2015, 01:56:01 pm »
  This mod is looking promising. I was wondering, will the soldiers be in their knapsacks? I believe the British infantry at least left them behind after landing because many were so weak from cholera so they would not have had them at the Alma. Speaking as a Napoleonic re-enactor, we very rarely wear our packs. With factions, personally I would have Britain, France and Russia as separate factions and then have 'other' factions to represent the Ottomans, Sardinians and Nassauers (they are mentioned, but I have never seen any evidence of what they did during the war) on the allied side, whilst you could have the Greek legion on the Russian side (I remember reading somewhere there was a Serbian legion as well but I can't be sure). If not, then just put the Turks under the British roster and the Sardinians under the French roster. Whatever you do, so long as we get to re-enact the charge of the Heavy Brigade and the Charge of the Light Brigade, I will be happy  ;D
  I see people have already directed you to Fentons photographs. There are some in this article here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10675182/In-pictures-Roger-Fentons-historic-Crimean-War-photographs.html?frame=2841383
And here:
http://www.allworldwars.com/Crimean-War-Photographs-by-Roger-Fenton-1855.html
  Note that forage caps became more prominent, I have heard that some regiments didn't even wear their shakos at the Alma.
  Then there is this photograph taken at Scutari (I believe of the Coldstream Guards)

http://www.royalengineers.ca/femnkid.html
  I assume the white trousers are for parade purposes and were not worn in battle. In the Napoleonic era, it was white trousers for more humid climates while grey for northern Europe. Of course trousers were more of a blue/black hue by this era.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:10:13 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ivkolya
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2015, 02:55:12 pm »
Spoiler
  This mod is looking promising. I was wondering, will the soldiers be in their knapsacks? I believe the British infantry at least left them behind after landing because many were so weak from cholera so they would not have had them at the Alma. Speaking as a Napoleonic re-enactor, we very rarely wear our packs. With factions, personally I would have Britain, France and Russia as separate factions and then have 'other' factions to represent the Ottomans, Sardinians and Nassauers (they are mentioned, but I have never seen any evidence of what they did during the war) on the allied side, whilst you could have the Greek legion on the Russian side (I remember reading somewhere there was a Serbian legion as well but I can't be sure). If not, then just put the Turks under the British roster and the Sardinians under the French roster. Whatever you do, so long as we get to re-enact the charge of the Heavy Brigade and the Charge of the Light Brigade, I will be happy  ;D
  I see people have already directed you to Fentons photographs. There are some in this article here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10675182/In-pictures-Roger-Fentons-historic-Crimean-War-photographs.html?frame=2841383
And here:
http://www.allworldwars.com/Crimean-War-Photographs-by-Roger-Fenton-1855.html
  Note that forage caps became more prominent, I have heard that some regiments didn't even wear their shakos at the Alma.
  Then there is this photograph taken at Scutari (I believe of the Coldstream Guards)

http://www.royalengineers.ca/femnkid.html
  I assume the white trousers are for parade purposes and were not worn in battle. In the Napoleonic era, it was white trousers for more humid climates while grey for northern Europe. Of course trousers were more of a blue/black hue by this era.
[close]
   Part of soldiers will be in their knapsacks, as they took them from ships after camping in Balaclava and as I know they wore them at assaults on Sevastopol. It will be two or three regiments in knapsacks, to show full heavy marching order of soldiers (like two regiments of Russian army will have also their knapsacks for same purpose), the same goes to British Albert shakos, French shakos and Russian helmets, which were worn at Alma only. Other regiments will be  in fourage hats and ammunition belts only (some British will carry folded greatcoats). All Russians and French (except Plastuns and Zouaves) will be in greatcoats, some British regiments will be in coatees for Alma, Balaclava and summer assaults of Sevastopol, some will be in greatcoats for Inkerman and just winter maps. Some of uniforms are ready, you may see screenshots.
   Nations for multiplayer (re-skin of NW and different new multiplayer), I think, will be Russia (maybe with Greek Legion or Greek Balaclava Battalion), France, Britain and two mixed Allied factions (combining Britain, France, Ottomans and maybe Sardinians), I don't know whom do you mean under "Nassauers". Nations for singleplayer will be Russia and Allies (so Allied factions can't fight each other or make separate peace with Russia), but if there will be problems like the same sounds for English and French, so maybe there will be also separate nations. And yes, British (and accordingly Allied cavalry) will consist of main regiments of Light and Heavy Brigade, and French (and Allied) cavalry will have Chasseurs d'Afrique.
  Thanks, I already saw all these photos, and also photos of Robertson and some other. On this photo indeed are Coldstream Guards at Scutari, they have paired buttons and small white pouches for percussion caps on the front of pouchbelts.
White trousers were for summer (and for battles too), but they were left at Varna, so whole war British troops in Crimea wore winter trousers.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2015, 03:18:29 pm »
   I don't know whom do you mean under "Nassauers".
  I have heard mention that the Duchy of Nassau sent a contingent of men to fight alongside the allied armies. As I have said, I am not sure if they actually sent troops or whether it was just monetary or even 'moral' support. If I come up with anything I will let you know.
EDIT: It would appear that we raised a German legion (not to be confused with the King's German Legion of the Napoleonic Wars) to fight in the Crimea, but they didn't really see any action and most of them settled in South Africa after the war ended. I expect quite a few came from Nassau which is why some sources reference Nassau as being a combatant in the war whereas in reality it was a legion of  mercenaries from across the German Confederation.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:38:10 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2015, 04:13:19 pm »
   I don't know whom do you mean under "Nassauers".
  I have heard mention that the Duchy of Nassau sent a contingent of men to fight alongside the allied armies. As I have said, I am not sure if they actually sent troops or whether it was just monetary or even 'moral' support. If I come up with anything I will let you know.
EDIT: It would appear that we raised a German legion (not to be confused with the King's German Legion of the Napoleonic Wars) to fight in the Crimea, but they didn't really see any action and most of them settled in South Africa after the war ended. I expect quite a few came from Nassau which is why some sources reference Nassau as being a combatant in the war whereas in reality it was a legion of  mercenaries from across the German Confederation.

As far as I know, main fights were between Russians and French and on second place with British (French complained often about British slownes, as it was at Alma or first assault on Sevastopol). Turkish troops were in rear all the time and after they ran at Balaclava, left to Russians guns and redoubts, it was made a desision to use them only as workers in trenches and in rear again, so they can't run anymore (I've read it in "Letters from Headquarters"). Sardinians were in Crimea in late period of war and thy only "sang songs", as said to me one of actually Sardinian reenactors on Alma field. They also were in rear and almoust all there casualties were from disease, only Bersaglieri were in battle at Black River, but that's all Sardinian involvement in battles, I guess (and one Sardinian officer was killed, joining The Charge of the Light Brigade). There were also some Austrian officers as supervisors and there were also many others, but I will make only main sides, which are Russia, France and Britain (with 1-2 Turkish regiments for Alma, Balaclava and assault on Eupatoria,  maybe Sardinian Bersaglieri for battle at Black River and maybe Greek Legion for assualt on Eupatoria and sorties from Sevastopol or Greec Balaclava Battalion for defending of Fort Genoise in Balaclava).

I've got a problem (a long time ago, but t is still not solved), I want to make animations of standing and walking with rifle on left shoulder (and leave animations from NW with rifles on right shoulder for NCOs), but I don't know how can it be made, I didn't see it in any mod for now. This how it should be:
Spoiler

[close]
Here I made model of rifle with new coordinates and attached it to left hand (like shield in Warband). Is it possible make in module system or in other way to appear this new model (perhaps via vertex animation) instead of usual rifle, attached to right hand? I'm sure it is possible, 'cause in animation of firing musket or reloading musket there is vertex animation and it works perfectly, but I don't know, how make this vertex animation (usuall rifle+this new rifle in left hand) appear in correct frame of animation of walking and standing with rifle? I can't find any tutorial about adding vertex animation in skeletal animation, can someone help me with it? Or maybe someone knows better way to make such animation? Please?))
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:55:04 am by Ivkolya »

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2015, 05:30:00 pm »
41st (Welch) Regiment of Foot at Inkerman

Spoiler

[close]

49-th (the Princess Charlotte of Wales or the Hartfordshire) Regiment of Foot at Inkerman

Spoiler

[close]

68th (Durham) Regiment of Foot at Inkerman

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:00:01 am by Ivkolya »

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2015, 05:31:59 pm »
Nice. Really like the greatcoats.

Offline Bravescot

• The WoR Avatar Guy
  • Donator
  • The rank icon guy
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2015, 06:35:53 pm »
Looking amazing man

Offline Parrot

• Donator
  • Lieutenant Colonel - Equestrian Foreign Legion
    • View Profile
    • EQFL Homepage
  • Nick: ExParrot
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2015, 10:06:54 pm »
The uniforms look good, but as a general tip: take screenshots of the highest quality if you're going to show them off, use your graphics card control panel to set OpenBRF to use the highest possible settings, set your ingame settings to the maximum for the screenshot then change them back. Even if your PC is a toaster, you can still set the graphics to max for the duration of a screenshot (which will be still anyway), it won't kill it.

Remember, a screenshot that you're publicly displaying is a first impression, so make it as good as possible.
Check out mods I've worked on: Blood and Iron: Age of Imperialism, and North and South!

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2015, 02:44:21 am »
Thanks for answers to all and for the tip also, I thought it is enough graphics quality to see what kind of uniform is on screenshot:)
Anyway, 1280x1024 is my highest resolution and all screens from OpenBRF will be in this quality, I believe all settings in OpenBRF are highest alreadyю But I didn't make bump maps and specular maps yet (I made them before, but I change UVW maps sometimes and I am too lazy to change three textures at once:)), so screenshots from game will be in less quality as from OpenBRF.
I replace old screenshots with new ones if I made changes in models (unfortunately, there is not much materials about Crimean war uniforms and sometimes I find something new and change accordingly finshed uniforms if it is needed), so when I will be satisfied with result, I'll make full model with bump and specular maps, so I'll make new high-quality screenshots and maybe will replce with them the old ones.
I place screenshots here rather to show that work is in progress and mod is not abandoned:)

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2015, 04:05:22 am »
Have you read this book?
?

Offline ArtAttack

• Sergeant
  • League Referee
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pineapple
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2015, 06:04:46 am »
Unfortunately, no

Do you know where this .gif is from?

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2015, 01:58:12 pm »
Have you read this book?
?
Nope, I didn't know about this book, but I've read a plenty of other books about Crimean War and there is too many books about Charge of the Light Brigade, so I can't read them all. But to modern works I prefer historical books and memoires, yesterday I finished "Letters from Headquarters, Or Realities of the War in the Crimea" (1857), and this staff-officer explains very well why that charge was in wrong direction. Also I can recommend book "Into the Valley of Death: British Cavalry Division at Balaclava 1854", there is description of all cavalry regiments at Balaclava

Unfortunately, no

Do you know where this .gif is from?

Nope, I don't

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2015, 09:37:55 pm »
It is a terrific book. You are probably busy but I would recommend reading it if you ever get the chance.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2015, 12:53:40 am »
Thank you, I added it to my readlist:)