Author Topic: Advice for New Regiment Leaders- Tips  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Joshly

• Private
  • What's this NW thing anyway?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joshly
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Advice for New Regiment Leaders- Tips
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 02:24:45 am »
A little old, but beings how often I'm around nowadays I'd figure I'd give a few things. (and also remind that its tips, not the e-peen thread)

The best advice for a new regiment - Set and stick to a set of standards the group should follow and believe in. Always treat people like people. And only ever give discipline when your expectations of those set "standards" has been broken, only then will someone know they've done wrong. Always be open minded and see EVERYONE'S point of view parallel to your own.

The best advice for a new Leader - Always put the group and the betterment of the group above yourself. "Nothing" is impossible, there is always a way to approach anything. Don't become someone you've disliked, or someone would dislike. "Although you'll never reach perfection, always persist to try!"

Thats what I think of, off the top of my head - if anyone has any questions, would like to chat, or is looking for advice, feel free to look me up on steam and add me!

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 03:47:46 pm »
Engage in love making with your regiment members. You will develop a close bond linked via penis insertion.

In all seriousness though, you need to be a leader that your men will like, somebody that they'll want to stick around with through anything even if you always lose. Be the guy that they want to stand by no matter what.  And never try to pull rank, that is the shit that will make people leave your regiment. It's a game, you're not really a colonel so don't act like you are.

And as far as leading a small regiment in a linebattle, you probably won't last in a firefight with a large regiment unless your men are crazy good shots (or crazy lucky) so try to isolate and target the smaller enemy regiments. If you can't do that then try to stick by a bigger regiment and provide support (IE- guard their flanks or provide extra firepower) A tactic that I have been able to pull off successfully before with a small regiment is to wait for a single medium-large sized regiment to engage with one of our regiments and then sneak around them and flank. A small regiment can slip around the battlefield unnoticed usually. Just be careful of cavalry, they will make short work of a small infantry regiment. I see small regiments try to "guard the artillery" a lot and I can tell you it's a bad idea, it almost always ends in being picked off by enemy cannons and not doing anything.

Offline OPEN_FIRE

• Sergeant
  • Swords are fun
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3rd_Pte_George_White
  • Side: Union
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 08:41:09 pm »
I'm not a regiment leader but I've seen 2 kinds of leaders a lot that you shouldn't be, which are pretty much opposites.

1 - Don't be the huge power-trip with extreme and excessive rules that make no sense. Don't be a huge jerk to your men to keep them in line. Nobody will want to join your regiment if you ban them at the slightest infraction, or shout at them every linebattle.

2 - On the other hand, don't do absolutely nothing when your regiment is full of trolls. I used to be in a regiment, and sometimes now I merc for them, where people just completely ignore rules like no ramboing every round and constantly insult the other regiment(s) and end up making everyone hate them by the end of the linebattle. And then, after the linebattle when I talked to the leader about it he was like "oh it's just a game, the other regiments just shouldn't care, it's not that big a deal." ..... basically you can't just let your members do whatever the hell they want. Otherwise you're barely even a regiment.

The trick is to find the right balance.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 09:29:04 am »
Don't be a dick towards members who do not wish to come to the event.

Remember line battles are played in a players spare time, this bullshit about "Compulsary attendance" only makes your men more mad. It makes it feel like they are forced to come to a (maybe) boring linebattle and be forced to follow orders or get shouted at.
Why should they come to your linebattle if he could be doing something more fun or entertaining FOR HIM.

I have seen about 10-20 people get kicked cause they said they wanted to play another game / or are busy in a MP match with a friend, may it be long games like CK2 or a short game like Ace of Spades, give your man a chance to breath and don't force them to do anything.

Offline Althalus

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Althalus
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 10:12:34 am »
2 words.
Sorry Stick.

Offline Tammo

• Major
  • I eat ass daily
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bob Ross
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 04:07:48 am »
When advancing on a regiment, always move at an angle

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 07:07:06 am »
Too bad COL SHARPE 214TH CAVALRY doesn't use the forums and probably would disband in a few days with or without any advice. Such good ideals here, hopefully somebody can use them.

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 05:18:01 pm »
Too bad COL SHARPE 214TH CAVALRY doesn't use the forums and probably would disband in a few days with or without any advice. Such good ideals here, hopefully somebody can use them.

Maybe you should?

Offline Rozza

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rozza
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 10:21:52 pm »
Play with your members outside of Linebattles/Trainings. I constantly play with my members outside of Warband and as a result I have been told by many that my regiment is one of the most enjoyable one they have ever been in. Also, when in linebattles or events, don't troll or act stupidly. Be professional and understanding. If you are officer aimed, tell them not to do it again and accept an apology. Slaying instantly not only sends the mood into the shitter but makes you look angry and unforgiving.

inb4 evidence to back up my claim

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 10:38:27 pm »

Maybe you should?
Advice for New Regiment Leaders- Tips
Not a leader of any group, this is all mostly common sense.

Offline nicknick12

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nicholas
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 11:53:08 pm »
Be nice and funny
Cavalry Groupfighting Admin NA/EU

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 12:19:11 am »

Maybe you should?
Advice for New Regiment Leaders- Tips
Not a leader of any group, this is all mostly common sense.

Maybe you should?

see still applies.

Offline Rackio

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rackio
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 04:03:20 am »
1) find a great second in command, this doesnt mean you have to like the or love them it's someone to give you a balance. i was in a regiment as second in command and all i did was end up arguing with the leader but through that he got to see different points of views and we made middle ground, but you must remember you are the leader its your choice in the end.

2) dont just play NW with your members play other games as well to build a community and a relationship(yes you can add penis) also out of line battles don't enforce strict discipline and be all hierarchical there is absolutely no point in doing this, in line battles be firm but not harsh out lb's be their friend.

3) be relaxed for the most part but ensure they know you are the boss and to teach your regiment where the boundary is between banter and abuse(in some regiments its all the same and people wither stay around for the agressive banter or they move on). you also have to dictate your racism, sexism, ect policies as some may get offended whereas some regiments let their members get away with whatever they want in TS (make sure this is just teamspeak)

and thats about me done i think, just have fun :)
I'll always be sympathetic to your plight, Rackio. Probably not enough to act, but enough to care.

Offline Skittles

• Sergeant Major
  • Protector of Virginity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 12:53:40 pm »
Scream at them all till they learn to obey ;) Works a charm, be the enforcer your mother raised you to be.

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 04:44:09 pm »
1) find a great second in command, this doesnt mean you have to like the or love them it's someone to give you a balance. i was in a regiment as second in command and all i did was end up arguing with the leader but through that he got to see different points of views and we made middle ground, but you must remember you are the leader its your choice in the end.

2) dont just play NW with your members play other games as well to build a community and a relationship(yes you can add penis) also out of line battles don't enforce strict discipline and be all hierarchical there is absolutely no point in doing this, in line battles be firm but not harsh out lb's be their friend.

3) be relaxed for the most part but ensure they know you are the boss and to teach your regiment where the boundary is between banter and abuse(in some regiments its all the same and people wither stay around for the agressive banter or they move on). you also have to dictate your racism, sexism, ect policies as some may get offended whereas some regiments let their members get away with whatever they want in TS (make sure this is just teamspeak)

and thats about me done i think, just have fun :)

No point in having just any guy behind you, it had better be a decent friend covering your backside ;)