Author Topic: I'm making a meta-game based around Napoleonic Wars. Who's interested?  (Read 7700 times)

Offline Tartantyco

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
The general idea is kind of like Total War where we make a board game-ish game based around Napoleonic Europe, although not historically accurate. Various factions fight for control of Europe on a detailed map from the 1800s where troop movement, economics, logistics, and so on take place. The ensuing battles then take place in Napoleonic Wars.

Though not historically accurate to equalize factions as much as possible, realism in terms of the logistics and economics of warfare and governance will be pursued.

What needs to be done:

A comprehensive logistical and economical ruleset for the campaign needs to be made.

A ruleset for various things like retreats and army composition needs to be made for battles.

Logistical, military, economical, and historical information needs to be accumulated to base the rules and components of the game on.

As detailed maps of Europe around 1800-1810 need to be collected.

-----

Campaign Ruleset

Logistics: Rules for troop movement, supplies, infrastructural improvements, civilian logistics.

Military: Recruitment, maintenance, attrition, troop movement.

Armies: How armies on the campaign map translate to the battle.

Economy: Simplified national economy, resource locations, maintenance, infrastructural improvements.

Battle Ruleset:

Retreats

Player behavior

-----

This would be a very large project and whoever can help in any way would be much appreciated.

Taleworlds forum post

Offline Avior

• Sergeant
  • Captain in the 77y Jaeger detachment.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Cpt_Avior
  • Side: Neutral
Re: I'm making a meta-game based around Napoleonic Wars. Who's interested?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 01:26:25 pm »
Didn't we try this before and it all ended with chaos?

Offline Tartantyco

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:29:52 pm »
Maybe you executed it poorly?

Offline Avior

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:38:30 pm »
If you take in account that this community isn't the best on being friends and play nicely while you top that with the constant conflicts that exist, it is doomed to fail. But you are more than welcome to prove me wrong! Something on this scale is extremely hard to organize and at the same time keep everyone happy.

Offline Tartantyco

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:44:15 pm »
Well, maybe you could fill me in on how it was attempted last time.

Offline Felix

• Brigadier General
  • Totally Not A Cat.
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Servers
  • Nick: [Arctic-Servers]_Felix
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:47:26 pm »
Sounds interesting, I'd be interested in playing it.

Mount & Blade Series - Game Server Provider
Contact me via a method below regarding renting a server.
E-Mail: felix@arcticservers.co.uk • Steam: Felix9112  • Skype: ArcticServers •

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:08:52 pm »
Didn't we try this before and it all ended with chaos?

Yeah it went kinda badly last time

Offline Avior

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:34:20 pm »
Well, maybe you could fill me in on how it was attempted last time.

Well, I tried to find the original Tale Worlds forumpost but couldn't find it. Maybe it was deleted? Anyway, I will tell you about our experience with the European Campaign Event. This text was written by Skruf, Jaeger Captain of the 77y.

Spoiler
This was an event that was supposed to span across several months and maybe as many as 30 regiments had signed up for it. This is the story how we fought in the first and last battle of the European Campaign!

Now the story of the first battle and what happned later is pretty complicated but i'll do my best to tell it as I remember it.
The European campaign was a large event made by a man named Casper. I do not think any of us knew him before the event but we would get to know him very well after it. The campaign itself was set up like a Total War game. We moved armies around a map of Europe and would fight to conquor cities and so on. Overly complicated rules about reinforcements and moving distance per turn and so on. As far as I remember the 77y was one of only three regiments that signed up to play as the Russians. Right before the battle Casper did some last minute changes to the reinforcement rule. Reinforcements could now only come from the capital, which was Saint Petersburg at the time. This meant that anyone playing for the enormous country of Russia was fucked. This did not help our mood about this event. Especially since we had moved our army in to take out Istanbul. We decided to carry on and play the battle anyway. The map was set to "Arabian village." I think most of you would know it. It's basically 5-6 houses and a main street surrounded by a thin wall. Our enemy was playing as Britain (representing the Ottomans) and the regiments would play as Britain, I think was the 5Brg. This did not please us much as you will see further down in our history. The round was judged by Casper who was fighting for the British. We did not know this at the time but it became clear pretty fast. Right after we spawn the Judge, Casper, called out " Live in 3 min."
We understood this as : Stay in spawn and move out when I say it in three minutes. No this was no the case at all. After those supposed three minutes he wrote "Live" in the admin chat. Within one second we lost 15 men. The enemy had moved to the top of the houses and was presenting waiting for him to call it live. Flustered and pissed as we were ran to cover. And after about 5 min had killed everyone except one man. We did not know he was the last, I might add. Now another one of Caspers ridiculous rules came into play. The last man alive was supposed to surrender. He did not. The last man alive kept fighting us while we waited for him to give up. Then we soundly clubbed him to death. This did not go over well. Casper got very, very angry and we were complaining about the obvious cheating in the beginning of the round. He got even angrier and decided to us after Malakith said that we left it. Casper then goes on to that we were banned for cheating in the thread about the Campaign. This did not sit well with either Malakith or Diplex who proceeded to absolutly make life hell for Casper. They did this through crushing his accusations with video proof.
Even the regimental leaders of non attending regiments sided with us over Casper and eventually Vincenzo got involved. After looking at the evidence he decided to end this event and ban Casper for a considerable amount of time. This was after Casper cursed at him.
In the end we fought the first and the last battle of the European Campaign and got Casper banned from the TaleWorlds forum.
[close]

I have heard that other had similar experiences from the Event even though it didn't go on for that long :P

Offline Tartantyco

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 03:01:18 pm »
Yup, horrible execution.

Now, keep in mind that the commander battle mode is what will be used for the battle to lower the required player count, and stupid rules is not something we'll aim for  ;) .

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 03:15:44 pm »
Yup, horrible execution.

Now, keep in mind that the commander battle mode is what will be used for the battle to lower the required player count, and stupid rules is not something we'll aim for  ;) .

So your looking for around 5 people to play each side ... okay well thats not really involving the community is it? Even with all the current NW factions your looking at around 25 people to play.

The only reason for the poor execution was that you needed nearly 1000 people to be relied upon to show up, so with your idea your looking at far less people so its much less of a big deal.

You'll find that pretty much no-one will want to participate due to the lack of numbers of players.

Offline Tartantyco

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »
Kator, the numbers you just threw out are nonsense. For battles you can have 20-30 people on each side, and that's just people available at that time. Multiply that by factions and various administrative positions the number is quite a bit bigger than "25".

Offline Hawkes

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 03:42:52 pm »
Kator, the numbers you just threw out are nonsense. For battles you can have 20-30 people on each side, and that's just people available at that time. Multiply that by factions and various administrative positions the number is quite a bit bigger than "25".

Take it from the perspective of a Regimental leader. Focusing on a complicated campaign can reduce their attention span by tenfold, and will cripple your campaign. I did that with a thread previously on taleworlds - I've remastered and simplified my campaign to a risk style campaign with 2 teams of 100, to make it easy to manage. After 2 teams you're just sticking your neck into a whole wide clusterfuck.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 04:50:45 pm »
Around 5-6 people have tried this before on Napoleonic Wars/late MM, they all didn't succeed in organising this. So just be sure that you know where you start on. Think of the fact that you will need to continue with this for weeks, if not months. Without getting bored, or in time troubles with RL.

Goodluck, you will need it.

Offline Tartantyco

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 05:48:15 pm »
If you're not interested then fine, but if all you're going to do is post over and over how other people with horrible organizational skills failed then I would prefer if you could just not do so. I have plenty of experience organizing large events with hundreds of participants spanning months and years so don't think I'm just naively stumbling into this.

But if you want to be part of this, if you want to make something awesome, then jump in here and give it all you've got.

Offline Avior

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 12:20:48 pm »
I did not write this to push you down or anything, just telling you that it is a lot harder then you think. If you still want to do it, go ahead! You have my full support and well wishes!