Author Topic: Bullet Drop Demonstration  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Andee

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Bullet Drop Demonstration
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:29:03 am »
I hope I'm not the only regiment that has trouble firing at any ranges in NW. Seems like people don't really grasp the concept of bullet drop and how to aim in-game. I made this video just for my regiment but I'd like to share it with the rest of you :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXGfHdl8xwo[/youtube]
xD

Offline Bruin

• Sergeant
  • Don't expect much out of me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 84e_SoPV_Bruin
Re: Bullet Drop Demonstration
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:57:29 am »
According to the great Führer of the 84e Aldemar. There is actually very little bullet drop if not none.

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:02:53 am »
I am almost certain there is no bullet drop. The shooting system is random.  :P

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:49:33 am »
This was posted by Olafson a while back...

Spoiler
There is bullet drop, but due to the high velocity of the bullets, it is almost not noticeable. Why cant you hit people that are far away, with a pistol? Simple. Pistols have much lower velocity and therefore their bullets actually drop much faster. Bullet drop is heavy on pistols, but almost not noticeable on Muskets (Except for very long ranges.)

Remember that when shooting a musket, the bullet will not go straight, but go randomly, into any direction. That is the reason why the aiming reticule is so large. When shooting, the bullet will go somewhere in that reticule.

The reason why you think that bullet drop is so heavy, is that a lot of times, the bullets do not go straight and do not go up, but downwards, decreasing your range alot. Aiming Up does not help here, because it can also be that the next shot goes up, shooting much further than you expected. Aiming anywhere close to the enemy can still hit him (Especially on long ranges, as the randomess plays a much larger role here), if you're lucky.

Therefore it is always best to aim straight at your enemy. Shooting with a Musket is just pure luck, nothing else.

Also, a little hint. Aiming 2 seconds with your musket will make aim steadier, and the bullet is more likely to be shooting into the direction of the center of the reticule.
Another hint... Warbands random function is not very good. Most of the time you will end up with the exact, or almost exact values.
So if you know that your bullet just flew low, try to aim abit higher. If you are a little bit lucky, Warbands random function might have chosen the same value again.
That is also the reason why you get the same bush/rock/tree over and over again, when making maps. Warbands random function selects the same value again and again and again.
[close]

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ryu? | Fancy?? | Rutger???
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:50:54 pm »
Thanks to the Ponies in the backround i banned!

Offline Malakith

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 02:36:51 pm »
This is hands down the worst attempt to "prove" anything...

You have edited in the bits that "prove" your theory, go make a video where you don't aim up slightly at the final few targets and edit in the times it hits whilst ignoring the rest for that as well, it will "prove" there is no bullet drop at all. I am sure if you tried long enough you could aim to the side of the targets completely and eventually find a few clips where they hit. Does that mean we should all aim to the side of our targets?

Any basic experiment requires you to show all the data not just the bits that support your point.

Offline Crescent Glow

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 09:01:01 pm »
Yeah Malakith! You tell em!

Your Biggest Fan

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 09:11:50 pm »
I remember I made a video with a fried about a year ago where we made a big line of planks all at full health, then shot a musketoon straight up in the air and after a few seconds, a bullet fell down and damaged one of the planks. No idea where it is now though :(
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:02:58 pm »
he's not really trying to prove anything though.

Offline Andee

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 10:35:33 pm »

You have edited in the bits that "prove" your theory, go make a video where you don't aim up slightly at the final few targets and edit in the times it hits whilst ignoring the rest for that as well, it will "prove" there is no bullet drop at all. I am sure if you tried long enough you could aim to the side of the targets completely and eventually find a few clips where they hit. Does that mean we should all aim to the side of our targets?

Any basic experiment requires you to show all the data not just the bits that support your point.

Kind of thought the big and mighty Major Malakith would be above attacking small time players like me. I'm not trying to prove anything. This video was just to show my members where they should aim a longer distances. Saying there is no bullet drop is just stupid. In the thousands of linebattles you have been and the thousands of times you have fired at long distances, not one time have you noticed the majority of shots falling way before their target?

Edit: But I will respect your criticism and your opinion on bullet drop. There are a lot of evidence pointing both ways when it comes to the subject. I'm just saying, I posted this to show my point of view of bullet drop.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:39:29 pm by Andee »
xD

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 11:41:40 pm »
I remember I made a video with a fried about a year ago where we made a big line of planks all at full health, then shot a musketoon straight up in the air and after a few seconds, a bullet fell down and damaged one of the planks. No idea where it is now though :(

I remember that. It wasn't a year. It was a few months ago cause I was a Sgt and we had companies.

As a skirm I still refuse to believe that shooting is random...

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 11:49:55 pm »
Yeah, shooting definitely isn't totally random. I understand the slight scattering though, but the natural arch of the bullet that gravity causes would be most noticeable vertically. Nice demonstration.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 11:52:56 pm »

I remember that. It wasn't a year. It was a few months ago cause I was a Sgt and we had companies.

As a skirm I still refuse to believe that shooting is random...
My sense of time is pretty shit xD
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 04:43:15 am »

Kind of thought the big and mighty Major Malakith would be above attacking small time players like me. I'm not trying to prove anything. This video was just to show my members where they should aim a longer distances. Saying there is no bullet drop is just stupid. In the thousands of linebattles you have been and the thousands of times you have fired at long distances, not one time have you noticed the majority of shots falling way before their target?

Edit: My names Andee and im a little pussy. LEL

Your not allowed to defy the great one

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 08:28:05 am »
How many times have different threads for this been made?  ::) just read what the devs say! :P
Pointy stick champion