Author Topic: Sword & Musket - A Bannerlord Napoleonic Mod - Update Blog Out  (Read 25827 times)

Online Zeyden 狼

• Major
  • 2 fast 4 u ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Amaterasu/Envy/Team France
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Sword & Musket - A Bannerlord Napoleonic Mod - Update Blog Out
« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2023, 03:55:10 pm »
The custom combat system is also in development. But also, after playing a couple of hundred hours in Bannerlord, you adapt and begin to understand it, I think you will remember how you felt in NW, when you came in for the first times xd. I can’t say the same about holdfast, hitboxes work there half a meter from a person..

I get what you mean, but it's not a question of adapting or understand it right now, it's just really not good.

You should really take a team of people of knowledge, they will help you on timing issues and other things to implement (as far as possible because as you said some things are impossible to do sadly) do not make the same mistake as Taleworlds pls

The people on our team are generally knowledgeable people. And our door is open to everyone, I told you about this yesterday.
You said I could apply to be a Historical Assistant, I've looked at the different applications and this is an role where people are helping with the historical aspect of the mod, as I said I don't have any historical skills to contribute so I'm not interested, we competitive players just want to help you do what others have failed to do i.e. being the successor of NW and for me the only way to do that is to have a game with a very good historical aspect (which you already do very well) and a very good melee.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 03:58:44 pm by Zeyden 狼 »

Offline General Shepherd

• Retired General #AbimYok
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Former-82nd Regiment Leader S&M Creative Producer
    • View Profile
    • 82nd Regiment
  • Nick: General Shepherd
  • Side: Union
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2023, 04:12:58 pm »
The custom combat system is also in development. But also, after playing a couple of hundred hours in Bannerlord, you adapt and begin to understand it, I think you will remember how you felt in NW, when you came in for the first times xd. I can’t say the same about holdfast, hitboxes work there half a meter from a person..

I get what you mean, but it's not a question of adapting or understand it right now, it's just really not good.

You should really take a team of people of knowledge, they will help you on timing issues and other things to implement (as far as possible because as you said some things are impossible to do sadly) do not make the same mistake as Taleworlds pls

The people on our team are generally knowledgeable people. And our door is open to everyone, I told you about this yesterday.
You said I could apply to be a Historical Assistant, I've looked at the different applications and this is an role where people are helping with the historical aspect of the mod, as I said I don't have any historical skills to contribute so I'm not interested, we competitive players just want to help you do what others have failed to do i.e. being the successor of NW and for me the only way to do that is to have a game with a very good historical aspect (which you already do very well) and a very good melee.

We have HAA fields in our project. The subject of HAA-Technical is included in this section under the name of historical subject.

Offline Chuckster

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 06, 2023, 04:21:28 pm »

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 15th_YR_Gren_trot888
« Reply #198 on: January 06, 2023, 04:35:22 pm »
I understand the difficulty with combat, people have tried in the past to replicate Warband's combat, but the mesh's skeletons are far more complex and the animations have to entirely be recreated, which isn't as simple as it seems, I think if it were to be that simple other NW clones like holdfast and bcof would've implemented it.

With Bannerlord it's even worse because how the combat works is fundamentally much different than Warbands, with different damage arcs, armour penetration and all that stuff which Warband doesn't have, so even if they manage to replicate the animations from NW, how they'd play out would need to be completely re-imagined from what Bannerlord currently offers which adds another amount of complexity outside of just using the animations and replacing the models and slightly changing some animations (which seems to be what's happened here to some extent).

Bannerlord over-engineered their combat and had far too many values which is why most of the damage values are completely different from each other, shit like stances on top of terrible animations just caused the combat to feel less fleshed out than Warbands even though fundamentally it's much more complex, balancing happens every patch to no avail, thus obviously trying to change something that's so deep in code just seems like a ball-ache that no one really wants to hop onto. I don't even think the modding tools even allow that, only to change values of the systems.

I do think NW's combat (much like warbands) has plenty of flaws which never got ironed out and having NW-style combat with more fleshed out animations would probably be best, though I don't doubt the complexity of that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 04:42:58 pm by Fietta »

Offline Vegi.

• Where is my stack?!
  • General
  • Divide and Conquer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King of Stack
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #199 on: January 06, 2023, 05:00:22 pm »
Can’t wait for people putting “S&M developer” on their profile because they give their opinion
Stop looking at my posts Fietta #RentFree

The Master of stack, the voice of racism.

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 15th_YR_Gren_trot888
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2023, 05:01:57 pm »
Can’t wait for people putting “S&M developer” on their profile because they give their opinion

Who does that

Offline Vegi.

• Where is my stack?!
  • General
  • Divide and Conquer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King of Stack
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2023, 05:04:33 pm »

Who does that
???
Stop looking at my posts Fietta #RentFree

The Master of stack, the voice of racism.

Offline Chuckster

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2023, 05:06:17 pm »
More like Holdfast x Roblox

BlitzkriegMBNW

« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2023, 06:34:15 pm »
Honestly after having a more in-depth look into the melee, the melee is not that bad. The three main problems I see that are probably easily fixed are

-Hitbox registration: The hitboxes are just bad. Both on the player and the bayonet itself. I realise it’s early stages of development but a good update on those would improve the melee system greatly.

-Attack delay: after releasing the mouse button there is a sizeable delay to when the bayonet will begin its animation to attack. This is seen in Holdfast and Bcof while in mount and blade this isn’t the case. I’m fairly sure this is a big issue in those melee systems as the melee doesn’t feel responsive when you have to wait a whole second to begin your attack.

-Character Movement: the movement during an attack animation feels too responsive and unnatural. More of a delay when you’re holding an attack would make it feel more natural I think. Whirling a bayonet this fast around your head is also not very historical.

Offline Dokletian

• Brigadier General
  • unironisch
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Dokletian
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2023, 07:07:08 pm »
Does anyone know whether the current Bannerlord player-base is mostly made of former Warband players or does it mostly consist of players completely new to the game?
Can I just say that I’m really impressed with the cav community, 10x more mature than the inf community and a lot less tolerant of the cancerous players

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2023, 07:10:35 pm »
Does anyone know whether the current Bannerlord player-base is mostly made of former Warband players or does it mostly consist of players completely new to the game?
Impossible to tell exactly, but to give you an example, Warband on Steam peaked at 32k concurrent players in its LIFETIME.

Bannerlord peaks at that everyday. So you can guarantee its going to be dominated by people who didn't play Warband much if even at all.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Dokletian

• Brigadier General
  • unironisch
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Dokletian
« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2023, 07:12:15 pm »
then why listen to those who still cling on warband?
Can I just say that I’m really impressed with the cav community, 10x more mature than the inf community and a lot less tolerant of the cancerous players

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2023, 07:17:06 pm »
then why listen to those who still cling on warband?
Thats the point we tried to explain.

Having former reg reps, melee players etc. test the systems is fine because they are the ones that have been keeping the NW scene alive and should be involved, but not the focus of development no.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2023, 07:37:29 pm »
depends what your goal is

if it's just casual historical gameplay feel, then don't listen to warband players and do your thing, though idk why not just play holdfast then

if you wanna take competitive play into consideration, listening to warband/NW players is probably a good idea, but again, you can do your thing here too and just hope for the best
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Kubus

• Major
  • I'm probably most annoying kid on this forum
    • View Profile
    • GO CRAZY
  • Nick: 45thN_Kgm_JanMoody55FanBoy
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2023, 07:45:48 pm »
though idk why not just play holdfast then

Actually great game tbh, but that's second thing
Ban kubitch of nw warband because is childish moron unhappy antisocial person, have at 2023 meeting with lawyer about him.  kubus mental disease