Poll

Are you happy with the current state of the CR?

Yes, very much!
Yes, though I remain skeptical of the idea
Yes, and I would prefer to have changes to the role
I'm indifferent or have not yet made up my mind
No, though I do not mind
No, I do not like this role

Author Topic: Opening Discussion Thread (with Poll)  (Read 41737 times)

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Opening Discussion Thread (with Poll)
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2016, 12:13:52 pm »
Why will a CR work?

First of all, it gives the community Board two active moderators.

"But what if they're trolls?"
Then I'll remove them. Simple as that.

Second, it gives the moderation team two active members who can help improve the forum as we approach BCoF Beta (and eventual release). The forum needs some cleaning up, the rules need updates, we need a new EU Moderator because the old one resigned, giving up a position where he could possibly change things for a position where he could only complain and criticize without having to risk any form of responsibility, and for all these things I need active people to support me and who know the minds of the community to a certain extend. This is not too say that members cannot (continue) sending me or posting suggestions in the Forum&Website section.

Worst case scenario, the situation stays as it is now.

Also you can have extra free time. Beeing "alone" is too hard when you have to deal with all the community

> Dont speak your mind about matters
> Heads dont need to be involved with the community
> Hire 2 unlucky people to do all the reporting for you while you argue about politics all day.
> Profit from lack of interest of developers
> Trump2016

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: König Tenford
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2016, 12:23:58 pm »
And party, don't forget about party hard
1+1=7

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2016, 12:55:47 pm »
If you need more active moderators that you trust you should elect them yourself since we the community could literally elect anyone (a troll, someone inactive etc) but I can see that it's hard to take the responsibility to elect someone as head moderator.

I could pick a thousand people that I trust (not really, but let's say we had a thousand people on this forum that I trust) it makes no difference if they're not active in the community.

I could have blocked the applications of candidates I didn't feel were up to the task, sure. Which would undoubtly lead to criticism from you people for 'interfering' with the election. I will receive (and have) received criticism for pretty much every action I (have) take(n). I can't keep running behind people you people with suggestions how to improve the forum, not in the least because (at the end of the day) I don't answer to the community, but to FSE. And that's what simple most of you don't seem to get; I don't do this job for the community. I handle the forums for FSE, and I stay because there is no viable candidate to do the job. If we had them lining up, I'd resigned ages ago. But I'm still here, and I'm trying to change things. Not because I have to, but because I want to.

If you keep that attitude up Marks, even though Vince has told you multiple times to zip it, then you might as well do it without any special forum rank that might be mistaken for a position of authority. As to 'Why don't you play the game???', I happen to have a number of activities outside of the forums, collectively known as 'a life'. (No really, I am quite busy outside of this forum and being active in any form of gaming community is just not viable for me. I do occassionly play the game with the Devs or other friends.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:01:37 pm by Duuring »

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2016, 01:03:35 pm »
It's not hard to figure out if someone's active also what does you answering to FSE have to do with anything?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2016, 01:06:02 pm »
That was a joke.  :P

It's not hard to figure out if someone's active also what does you answering to FSE have to do with anything?

It's a never-ending circle of removing people then having to find replacements. Letting them be elected by the community solves both issues.

It's to understand that the Moderation team is not here to please the community (though we obviously try) but to handle the forum in name of FSE. If the community isn't happy with my work, too bad. If FSE isn't happy with my work, then we have a problem.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2016, 01:10:32 pm »
It may solve the find people issue but you will most likely still have to replace people and when that happens you'd have to setup an election again instead so the work seems about equally frustrating. But what do I know I'm not a mod.

Criticism is a given for any spokesperson/manager at a company.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:18:22 pm by Furrnox »

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2016, 01:11:01 pm »
At the end I think everything will works. But today we dont know what will be going on, so, please. Let the poll ends, let people to speak, let things happen and see how comes the future
1+1=7

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2016, 01:16:57 pm »
I dont understand half the criticism here.

You are getting the opportunity to elect a mod. It doesnt matter how useless/pointless you feel the position is. If you dont want to do it, dont run for it. The people running DO want to do it, however, and alot of people in the community also would like to have a new mod like this. Its pretty harmless if you ask me.

Nobody is forcing you to give a fuck. If it so strikes your fancy to get involved in this just to complain about how pointless it is, just so you can look "cool", just vote the "None of the Above" option to prove how edgy you really are. Worst case scenario, as Duuring says, is that things continue as they currently are.

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2016, 01:18:33 pm »

You are getting the opportunity to elect a mod. It doesnt matter how useless/pointless you feel the position is. If you dont want to do it, dont run for it. The people running DO want to do it, however, and alot of people in the community also would like to have a new mod like this. Its pretty harmless if you ask me.

Nobody is forcing you to give a fuck. If it so strikes your fancy to get involved in this just to complain about how pointless it is, just so you can look "cool", just vote the "None of the Above" option to prove how edgy you really are. Worst case scenario, as Duuring says, is that things continue as they currently are.

indeed
1+1=7

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2016, 01:21:22 pm »

I'm simply sharing my opinion breh and I did vote "none of the above" cuz I'm an edgy nerd.

I don't find electing moderators to be the most effective way to find new moderators that's all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:23:13 pm by Furrnox »

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2016, 01:24:14 pm »
I'm not directing what I am saying at any one person. ^

I just don't understand how this is so controversial.

The mods aren't the illuminati. This isn't some super complicated power play. Having the priviledge to vote for a mod isn't going to cause FSE to explode. Duuring is just letting the community elect mods. How is this such a terrible thing?

LIke, you can say there are more effective ways to find a mod, or you can actually vote for someone you think would be a good mod

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2016, 01:25:28 pm »
It's not a terrible thing I just don't find it efficient and I don't trust this community with an "election". :P

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2016, 01:25:30 pm »
I'm not directing what I am saying at any one person.

I just don't understand how this is so controversial.

The mods aren't the illuminati. This isn't some super complicated power play. Having the priviledge to vote for a mod isn't going to cause FSE to explode. Duuring is just letting the community elect mods. How is this such a terrible thing?

opportunities for new people, for new types of community, new faces
1+1=7

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2016, 01:27:44 pm »
Sending in a moderator application gives you the same opportunity if not a higher opportunity to become a mod since that would base it of your application instead of popularity.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2016, 01:30:14 pm »
Are you a Moderator? Do you sit on the Moderation Team? Do you know how we judge applications?